Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #181
Pjama
Zealot
Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Various kindles, currently using Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
To each his own. May I ask, do you read several hours every day? That would explain the fast battery drain. I read usually only an hour, sometimes two.
It depends, sometimes I'll read four hours or more a day, sometimes an hour or less.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM   #182
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Despite my posts here, I do still really like my KAO2. I'm pretty much ok with the battery the way I have it set up.

Does anyone know if the wifi+3G model is prone to faster battery drain, even with the radios off? I know that logically, it shouldn't make any difference, but I was thinking of returning my top model and getting the bog standard model instead...
Cannot really notice much difference between my 3g model and the one without. But then the non 3g model (my wife's) needs to charge more often as she has more time to read.

If turning the light on and off makes a difference in standby, then your cover might be defective. Try to leave it open and put to sleep with the button and light on, see if it still drains.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM   #183
Pjama
Zealot
Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Pjama can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Various kindles, currently using Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Cannot really notice much difference between my 3g model and the one without. But then the non 3g model (my wife's) needs to charge more often as she has more time to read.

If turning the light on and off makes a difference in standby, then your cover might be defective. Try to leave it open and put to sleep with the button and light on, see if it still drains.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:01 AM   #184
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Gimme 10 days of battery any day. None of my kindles have ever been able to go 10 days.
The Oasis 1 can. Turn the light off and rely on external lighting and if it's not indexing anything it'll easily go ten to twelve hours on a charge. Four recharges -> sixty hours. This is not speculation, I've done it. Not quite a week of nonstop reading, but several days easily. (I do use small text, one stop from smallest, but I also read fast so I was turning pages quite rapidly: I guess the two balance out, maybe.)

Obviously you only turn the light off like this if you know you're far from power: otherwise, halving the battery life is an acceptable tradeoff for the nicer screen quality the lighting gives you.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #185
Wearever
Fanatic
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I just crank the light level up to my usual reading level , about 12-15. It does use up the battery more, but I just charge it more often. I still like my Oasis 2 , but I would have loved it a lot more if they put in a larger battery. How much heavier would that have made it ? Not a whole lot. The next Kindle Oasis or what ever, I'll check the battery to see if it's bigger, then decide to buy based on that.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:54 AM   #186
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3 BasicK/Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The Oasis 1 can. Turn the light off and rely on external lighting and if it's not indexing anything it'll easily go ten to twelve hours on a charge. Four recharges -> sixty hours. This is not speculation, I've done it. Not quite a week of nonstop reading, but several days easily. (I do use small text, one stop from smallest, but I also read fast so I was turning pages quite rapidly: I guess the two balance out, maybe.)

Obviously you only turn the light off like this if you know you're far from power: otherwise, halving the battery life is an acceptable tradeoff for the nicer screen quality the lighting gives you.
My O1 doesn't last 10 days either. I actually have turned off the light during day. I do that on my O2 also. In bright light or next to a window, its a wash so I turn it off. I do need it when it gets darker. But I don't go above 9 at this point.
Again, its not about days, its about how much one reads. I read a lot, no kindle will ever last me 10 days, unless they make one with built in solar panels or find some new fandangled battery technology.

Voyage and O1 I got 4 days of batter, O1 I get about 2.5 or so. Same reading pattern. I read at #4 and use #3 bold. So I use a bit more. But in the end, its the amount of reading I do. It wouldn't matter if I never turned on the light, it would still never last me 10 days. Unless I am in a coma.

I get easy though 10-12 hours on a charge, on all of my kindles. Its more like 20 hours with the O2 and closer to 30 I think on the Voyage. My O1 lost the ability to now hold much of a charge out of the cover. It used to be 7 plus hours with light, now its like 2 hours, if that. Its why I went to the O2.

The keyboard I think still has the best battery overall. But no light makes it a no go in the dark. I can put that thing on the shelf and its still charged full a month later. But even it, when I used it full time, never gave me 10 days of battery. Cause again, I read and read and read
Atunah is online now   Reply With Quote