Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #181
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Despite my posts here, I do still really like my KAO2. I'm pretty much ok with the battery the way I have it set up.

Does anyone know if the wifi+3G model is prone to faster battery drain, even with the radios off? I know that logically, it shouldn't make any difference, but I was thinking of returning my top model and getting the bog standard model instead...
Cannot really notice much difference between my 3g model and the one without. But then the non 3g model (my wife's) needs to charge more often as she has more time to read.

If turning the light on and off makes a difference in standby, then your cover might be defective. Try to leave it open and put to sleep with the button and light on, see if it still drains.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #182
Pjama
Zealot
Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Various kindles, Gold Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Cannot really notice much difference between my 3g model and the one without. But then the non 3g model (my wife's) needs to charge more often as she has more time to read.

If turning the light on and off makes a difference in standby, then your cover might be defective. Try to leave it open and put to sleep with the button and light on, see if it still drains.
Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:01 AM   #183
NullNix
Fanatic
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Gimme 10 days of battery any day. None of my kindles have ever been able to go 10 days.
The Oasis 1 can. Turn the light off and rely on external lighting and if it's not indexing anything it'll easily go ten to twelve hours on a charge. Four recharges -> sixty hours. This is not speculation, I've done it. Not quite a week of nonstop reading, but several days easily. (I do use small text, one stop from smallest, but I also read fast so I was turning pages quite rapidly: I guess the two balance out, maybe.)

Obviously you only turn the light off like this if you know you're far from power: otherwise, halving the battery life is an acceptable tradeoff for the nicer screen quality the lighting gives you.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:14 AM   #184
Wearever
Guru
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I just crank the light level up to my usual reading level , about 12-15. It does use up the battery more, but I just charge it more often. I still like my Oasis 2 , but I would have loved it a lot more if they put in a larger battery. How much heavier would that have made it ? Not a whole lot. The next Kindle Oasis or what ever, I'll check the battery to see if it's bigger, then decide to buy based on that.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #185
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3 BasicK/Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
The Oasis 1 can. Turn the light off and rely on external lighting and if it's not indexing anything it'll easily go ten to twelve hours on a charge. Four recharges -> sixty hours. This is not speculation, I've done it. Not quite a week of nonstop reading, but several days easily. (I do use small text, one stop from smallest, but I also read fast so I was turning pages quite rapidly: I guess the two balance out, maybe.)

Obviously you only turn the light off like this if you know you're far from power: otherwise, halving the battery life is an acceptable tradeoff for the nicer screen quality the lighting gives you.
My O1 doesn't last 10 days either. I actually have turned off the light during day. I do that on my O2 also. In bright light or next to a window, its a wash so I turn it off. I do need it when it gets darker. But I don't go above 9 at this point.
Again, its not about days, its about how much one reads. I read a lot, no kindle will ever last me 10 days, unless they make one with built in solar panels or find some new fandangled battery technology.

Voyage and O1 I got 4 days of batter, O1 I get about 2.5 or so. Same reading pattern. I read at #4 and use #3 bold. So I use a bit more. But in the end, its the amount of reading I do. It wouldn't matter if I never turned on the light, it would still never last me 10 days. Unless I am in a coma.

I get easy though 10-12 hours on a charge, on all of my kindles. Its more like 20 hours with the O2 and closer to 30 I think on the Voyage. My O1 lost the ability to now hold much of a charge out of the cover. It used to be 7 plus hours with light, now its like 2 hours, if that. Its why I went to the O2.

The keyboard I think still has the best battery overall. But no light makes it a no go in the dark. I can put that thing on the shelf and its still charged full a month later. But even it, when I used it full time, never gave me 10 days of battery. Cause again, I read and read and read
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #186
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OAsis 2, iPhone 7+, IPad Air 2, MacBook Air
Battery life depends on how much you read, if you keep the wifi or cell on, and the level of your lighting. I have not had my Oasis 2 long enough to gage its true battery life. But there are some very cold wet days here that I will read as much as 8 hours in a day. and I know I can read for at least 2 8 hour days with on charge and that is as good as my Voyage or PW2 would do. do not leave wifi on. and I keep my front lighting low.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM   #187
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Yes wifi off bluetooth off light level at 10 at night , sometimes a tad higher. drains 6% to 10% a day
Sounds like a problem in the firmware. The Kobo Aura One had a similar problem and it was a firmware problem that's now been fixed. I think Amazon either needs to fix the firmware or it turns out ot be a hardware problem, fix the hardware and replace all the previous version with new ones.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #188
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
I don't have the ability to add a "Text in Books" tab on this OS version, but when I search for a random string of impossible characters, search comes back with: "There are no results". So I guess it's done indexing? I would hope it would be done, as I haven't added any books to it in 2 weeks.

Wait!, I stand corrected.. at the bottom of the search, was a menu option that let me sub-search for "Text in Books", and on that, I see: "Items Not Yet Indexed (724)".

So 724 of my 3,132 books have not yet been indexed. I'll keep checking back to see if that number has dropped. If it can't index 3,132 small books (4.3GB total) in over 2 weeks, their algorithm is horribly slow!
It's not that the indexer is slow. It's that it gets stuck and doesn't move on. You will have to find what book it is that's blocking the indexer. The best thing to do is delete all books from the Kindle and put them back on in small bits of 10-20 and keep note of the ones that worked until you get to the batch where the indexer fails and then do them one by one until you find it
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:34 PM   #189
Sirtel
Guru
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not that the indexer is slow. It's that it gets stuck and doesn't move on. You will have to find what book it is that's blocking the indexer. The best thing to do is delete all books from the Kindle and put them back on in small bits of 10-20 and keep note of the ones that worked until you get to the batch where the indexer fails and then do them one by one until you find it
It isn't necessarily stuck. Kindles index very slowly when not connected to a charger, especially the Oasis 2. Only when the indexing doesn't move forward even while connected to a wall charger it's probably stuck.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:43 PM   #190
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The Kindle Index gets progressively slower the the more books it processes. It's always been that way. The Oasis 2 has been noticeably better in that regards, either to to the hardware specs increase, or improvements in firmware, (I haven't really been testing this exhaustively.) However, even with the Oasis 2, if you dump hundreds of books on it, re-starting every 4 hours or so will get through the indexing much faster.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:02 PM   #191
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OAsis 2, iPhone 7+, IPad Air 2, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The Kindle Index gets progressively slower the the more books it processes. It's always been that way. The Oasis 2 has been noticeably better in that regards, either to to the hardware specs increase, or improvements in firmware, (I haven't really been testing this exhaustively.) However, even with the Oasis 2, if you dump hundreds of books on it, re-starting every 4 hours or so will get through the indexing much faster.
This is why I add my books slowly, a few a day to give it a chance to index before adding more books. Also, I keep no more than 120 items on my Kindle at anyone time. I see no need to have more, I could not read that many anyway before I would have a chance to add more.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 PM   #192
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Check the ~DS drain issue (enable the screensaver for BETTER battery life, not worse) posted about here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294177

I don't get the lousy battery life most of you get out of my Oasis, although I find the battery life still too short for me.

I think there's some truth to the fact that every time you sync the device, it's best to just plug it in the AC. That way the indexing goes faster.
When I preloaded my first 600 books on my device, the battery dropped 10% per hour, so I left it plugged in for about 30 minutes.
The indexing mostly only get done, when new books are added, or maybe when booting the device.
After that, unplugging is ok.

I would also agree, that carrying 600+ books, isn't really the best; and would agree with CVKemp, to just load no more than 100 books on it.
You can always sync the other books to the device.
It takes quite some time to process 10 books, even for a fast reader, let alone 1000 books!

I turn off the wifi (airplane mode) as soon as the syncing was done, and I never read with screen light on.
It gets me about 2% per hour of battery consumption on Kindle books, but double to quadruple when reading PDF documents.

The Oasis' screen has sufficient resolution to display A4/Lettertype PDF documents, but the size is still too small (the characters are too small on screen), to comfortably read a PDF file.
It's like setting your font size to 0.25 (well below the lowest setting for kindle books).

Last edited by ProDigit; 01-23-2018 at 05:47 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 PM   #193
Sirtel
Guru
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I would also agree, that carrying 600+ books, isn't really the best; and would agree with CVKemp, to just load no more than 100 books on it.
You can always sync the other books to the device.
It takes quite some time to process 10 books, even for a fast reader, let alone 1000 books!

I turn off the wifi (airplane mode) as soon as the syncing was done, and I never read with screen light on.
I have about 2000 books on my Oasis 2 (of course I didn't load them on the device all at once), always read with the light at level 9 and have no complaints about battery life. Yes, it drains faster than my Voyage, but I still get at least 10 days out of it without charging. Then again, my wifi is always off (I sideload all my books) and nothing is ever stuck indexing, I always check that.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:43 AM   #194
Pjama
Zealot
Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Pjama is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Various kindles, Gold Kindle Oasis 2
Last night I forgot to switch the wifi/3G off and it only drained around 3% overnight. (Might be less, I didn't check the number before falling asleep.) So today, I'm just going to try using it normally, and forget about the whole battery issue. For me that means pretty much light at 14, bookerly font at 4 (sometimes 3). I'm also going to just leave the wifi on. I'm at 85% now (lost one per cent in the last couple of minutes!), so let's see how long it lasts. (I haven't even tried to load any more books onto it yet as I'm hoping the whole battery issue settles down after a few more weeks of use.)
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #195
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Last night I forgot to switch the wifi/3G off and it only drained around 3% overnight. (Might be less, I didn't check the number before falling asleep.) So today, I'm just going to try using it normally, and forget about the whole battery issue. For me that means pretty much light at 14, bookerly font at 4 (sometimes 3). I'm also going to just leave the wifi on. I'm at 85% now (lost one per cent in the last couple of minutes!), so let's see how long it lasts. (I haven't even tried to load any more books onto it yet as I'm hoping the whole battery issue settles down after a few more weeks of use.)
Leaving WiFi on drastically shortens battery life, as you'll see.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote