Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #16
lifer109
lifer109 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard and now Nook HD+
I've got Swype+Dragontrial on mine along with Swiftkey (which I like better). Used instructions from Penny in this thread to enable more basic Android apps work with the Nook HD+ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216237

Including the Amazon app which gives me option for a lot of free apps.
lifer109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #17
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer109 View Post
I've got Swype+Dragontrial on mine along with Swiftkey (which I like better). Used instructions from Penny in this thread to enable more basic Android apps work with the Nook HD+ https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=216237

Including the Amazon app which gives me option for a lot of free apps.
OK, so I have to ask again, how and where did you get the Swype keyboard? My HD+ has already been rooted using this same method for quite some time. I also installed the extras zip mentioned in the thread. However, while there may be more apps showing than before I did this, Swype certainly isn't one of them. It doesn't show up from the Play Store or the Amazon app store on my HD+ period and it still shows up as incompatible from the Play Store and the Amazon app store on my computer. I believe you guys that it works. I just have no idea how I'm supposed to be able to get it.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
If you've got an app installed on another device you can extract it from there by backing it up.. You can then transfer the apk to the Nook and install it.

Edit: Went to Play Store and Swype shows up as downloadable on the HD+

Last edited by Asawi; 09-07-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #19
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
The only one I'm aware of is the Smithsonian app that was also in the Nook app store. I don't remember it having maps and floor plans. The one I'm thinking of mainly had videos.

It may seem silly, but one of the main reasons I switched to the CM10.1 ROM is for the buttons at the bottom of the screen. On my old Nook Tablet, you could swipe across the bottom from right to left to "go back". As far as I know, they didn't put anything like that into the HD+. The button the change between all the open apps is pretty handy.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #20
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
If you've got an app installed on another device you can extract it from there by backing it up.. You can then transfer the apk to the Nook and install it.

Edit: Went to Play Store and Skype shows up as downloadable on the HD+
Well that wouldn't really help me since I only have the Nook Tablet and the Nook HD+ and they both show up as not compatible.

It's also strange that yours shows the HD+ as download able and mine doesn't. Very strange.

-Byron
Old 09-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfollowell View Post
OK, so I have to ask again, how and where did you get the Swype keyboard? My HD+ has already been rooted using this same method for quite some time. I also installed the extras zip mentioned in the thread. However, while there may be more apps showing than before I did this, Swype certainly isn't one of them. It doesn't show up from the Play Store or the Amazon app store on my HD+ period and it still shows up as incompatible from the Play Store and the Amazon app store on my computer. I believe you guys that it works. I just have no idea how I'm supposed to be able to get it.

- Byron
Can you see and download apps like TV Guide, Weatherbug, and Yelp? If not, either the EXTRAS mod is not compatible with your ROM or it was applied incorrectly OR you just have to wait a few days till the changes fully take effect.

The EXTRAS mod works extremely well on the stock B&N firmware. I have Swype. I can download Weatherbug and Yelp. I can even download GPS navigation apps (though they obviously won't work on my device).

There is one thing, however. It took a few days at least for those apps to show as compatible with my device in the Play store. Immediately after you apply the EXTRAS, you can sideload. But for some reason, your device doesn't register as compatible with the GPS and location finder apps for a few days or longer. To kick start the process, find an APK of an app like TV Guide or Yelp on the web and sideload it to your device. That's what I did. Then all of a sudden days later, all these apps and more show up as available to you in the App store.

When did you apply the EXTRAS mod? What firmware are you running?

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
bfollowell
Fanatic

OK, this gets more and more weird. Last night both of my devices show as incompatible. Today I tried to search from my HD+ again and Swype Trial and Swype showed up in searches where they didn't before. I looged onto the Play Store from my computer and pulled them up and they now say " This app is compatible with some of your devices." when I click on the little list, it still shows both of my devices, the names are exactly the same, but my BN LLC BNTV600, my HD+, now has a check, where it had an X before.

I've been rooted for months. The only thing I did differently was install the Extras zip yesterday. But I tried searching after installing that and rebooting and still showed as incompatible. Maybe it just took a while for something to show up correctly between my HD+ and the Play Store after I installed the Extras. Also, this morning, before searching, I pulled up my stock Home screen and went into the Stock Play Store app rather than the Play Store app from my normal, rooted, screen/launcher. Maybe they show up differently even though I didn't show any new devices under my Play account.

Either way, this behavior was very strange. I'm going to go get Swype while I can.

I'd be curious to know what may have caused this change in behavior if anyone has any ideas but it seems to be working for me now.

Thanks.

- Byron

PatNY, I didn't see your post until after I'd posted this one originally. It sounds like I was starting to wonder about the one thing you mentioned. It just took a little time. I installed the Extras zip late yesterday afternoon and the added compatibilities started showing up sometime overnight I guess. They weren't there last night but were this morning. I've installed the Swype trial and all of the others you mentioned are showing as available. I'm currently rooted and running 2.1.1, which I think is the latest firmware.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 09-07-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: addition
Old 09-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
The only one I'm aware of is the Smithsonian app that was also in the Nook app store. I don't remember it having maps and floor plans. The one I'm thinking of mainly had videos.

It may seem silly, but one of the main reasons I switched to the CM10.1 ROM is for the buttons at the bottom of the screen. On my old Nook Tablet, you could swipe across the bottom from right to left to "go back". As far as I know, they didn't put anything like that into the HD+. The button the change between all the open apps is pretty handy.
All the Smithsonian apps in the Play store are downloadable on my HD. That includes the Smithsonian Channel with lots of video.

As for the back button, the stock B&N firmware 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 both have a software back button. It's on the botton nav bar in the form of a white arrow.

Maybe you had the Nook before 2.1.0 was put out in May and so you never saw all the changes? It's possible earlier firmware versions lacked the software back button.

--Pat
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
PatNY
Zennist

Byron, the EXTRAS mod lets you sideload apps immediately but it does take a few days for GPS/location apps to show up as compatible with your device.

I mentioned this a few posts back (on the first page) but you must have missed it.

So I suspect that was going on with your device.

--Pat
Old 09-07-2013, 11:12 AM   #25
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
All the Smithsonian apps in the Play store are downloadable on my HD. That includes the Smithsonian Channel with lots of video.

As for the back button, the stock B&N firmware 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 both have a software back button. It's on the botton nav bar in the form of a white arrow.

Maybe you had the Nook before 2.1.0 was put out in May and so you never saw all the changes? It's possible earlier firmware versions lacked the software back button.

--Pat
I tried the "Smithsonian Channel" when I first got my HD+ last November and I've tried a few times since then. I guess I just haven't tried it lately. I've got it installed now.

The white arrow at the bottom isn't there all the time. Usually, any app that runs, hides it. With the stock Android arrow, the app has to be running in full-screen mode to hide it.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Oops! Posted before thinking. Disregard!

Last edited by Asawi; 09-07-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote