Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #106
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
On printers and Win 7.

When my wife got Win 7, her HP 656c wouldn't work so I networked her to my old HP 932c in the next room, and then I found a driver called 660c and so the HP 656c is now working again under an alias.

I believe those numbers are right, but I am not at the house right now.

Point is HP Printers never, never die at least in my experience. A driver will come along, and as I recall it wasn't obvious how to get it.

There is always the desire to sell new things.

Now don't get me started on scanners.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:47 AM   #107
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
No printer problems for me, because I don't have one
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #108
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
It's the sock monkey
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #109
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Maybe they couldn't find a reasonable quantity of smaller drives.
Wow. If so, we've come a long way. I remember paying $300+ for my first 1GB drive not all that long ago, in the grand scheme of things.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #110
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I got a few minutes hands on time with the Acer Chromebook yesterday. At $199.00 it's tempting. Very tempting.
Acer has now changed the specifications of it's $199 Chromebook replacing the 320GB HDD with a 16GB SSD for the same $199 price. Everything else the same.

Model C710-2856

I wonder if the fan was removed?
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #111
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Acer has now changed the specifications of it's $199 Chromebook replacing the 320GB HDD with a 16GB SSD for the same $199 price. Everything else the same.

Model C710-2856
Yeah, I just saw this. I Am SOO tempted to get one of these and use it as my second machine.
(Actually, I'd likely get the new one for my wife, and take hers with the 320GB hard drive so I'd have more room for the Linux system.)

But when I was offered one as a 'Fathers Day present' from my family last week, I said no, because I really need a Windows system.
But for the life of me, now I can not remember how I came to that decision.

Last edited by ApK; 06-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #112
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
(Actually, I'd likely get the new one for my wife, and take hers with the 320GB hard drive so I'd have more room for the Linux system.)
I ended up doing exactly this, and until I get a windfall and can afford a new MacBook Pro, I think it was the right decision.
That SSD model starts up in like 8 seconds. Amazing.

Dual booting back and forth to ChrUbuntu on the HDD machine is also remarkably fast, but truthfully, as this is a just a secondary machine, and has an RDP client, I will probably stay in ChromeOS most of the time.

Now, if anyone wants to unload a cheap Macintosh of some kind so I can do iOS development, drop me a line....

Note to any one else shopping, Best Buy has a different model number for the $199 SSD model:
C710-2833
I've not been able to determine any other difference.

Last edited by ApK; 06-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #113
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I ended up doing exactly this, and until I get a windfall and can afford a new MacBook Pro, I think it was the right decision.
That SSD model starts up in like 8 seconds. Amazing.

Dual booting back and forth to ChrUbuntu on the HDD machine is also remarkably fast, but truthfully, as this is a just a secondary machine, and has an RDP client, I will probably stay in ChromeOS most of the time.

Now, if anyone wants to unload a cheap Macintosh of some kind so I can do iOS development, drop me a line....

Note to any one else shopping, Best Buy has a different model number for the $199 SSD model:
C710-2833
I've not been able to determine any other difference.
I saw some different models too.
At least briefly Acer offered 4GB, and a bigger battery for the C7 for $279. (or maybe $289)
Then I saw the 4GB with no mention of a bigger battery at Amazon for $259.

Crucial battery says you can add 2GB to make a total of 4GB for $16.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 02:14 PM   #114
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Crucial battery says you can add 2GB to make a total of 4GB for $16.
That's cheap enough, and might be useful if I start compiling code or running VMs on it.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #115
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Acer ain't bad... my two "LAST" Windows units are ACER....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote