Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #361
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
My point was you can install an older firmware without doing a factory reset first, e.g. follow DNSB's instructions above - there is no need to factory reset.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:47 AM   #362
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
After the 2.5.2 update has finished, unzip the 2.5.1 firmware update file and copy it's contents into the .kobo directory. Disconnect from your computer and the "upgrade" process will install 2.5.1.
At risk of sounding dumb, is there a way to prevent automatic update to 2.5.2 if you roll back to 2.5.1? I know one could keep the wifi turned off but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the sync option with the android app.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:57 AM   #363
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
At risk of sounding dumb, is there a way to prevent automatic update to 2.5.2 if you roll back to 2.5.1? I know one could keep the wifi turned off but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the sync option with the android app.
Well, it was discussed in this very thread yesterday, so I don't know what that says

Look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=321. That is last post in the discussion, which shows a problem with the technique.

I was thinking of suggesting creating a read-only file or directory called "KoboRoot.tgz". But, looking at the boot script that processes this, it would cause a repeating boot. That did lead to another thought for the adventurous.

The upgrade is done via the script "/etc/init.d/rcS". The interesting section is:

Code:
if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz ]; then
	killall on-animator.sh
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	/etc/init.d/update-animator.sh &
	zcat /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz > /dev/null && tar zxf /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz -C /
	if [ -e /mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade ]; then
		/etc/init.d/upgrade-wifi.sh
		rm -rf /mnt/onboard/.kobo/upgrade
	fi
	rm /mnt/onboard/.kobo/KoboRoot.tgz
	killall update-animator.sh
	echo "Done upgrading..."
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\ghostbuster.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	zcat /etc/images/$PREFIX\reboot.raw.gz | /usr/local/Kobo/pickel showpic
	sync
	reboot
fi
Editing this and changing "KoboRoot.tgz" to something else would prevent the upgrade from happening. Then, when you did want the upgrade to happen, just rename the upgrade file from "KoboRoot.tgz" to whatever you used and restart the device.

I haven't tested this, and to be honest, I'm not that interested in doing it. I'm one of those sick people who see there is a new version of something and immediately try it
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:14 AM   #364
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I do this since some time, and I can confirm that it works. Apart from modifying "/etc/init.d/rcS", you might consider modifying also "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" in the same way. To make it clear: I replace all occurrences of the string "KoboRoot.tgz"in the files "/etc/init.d/rcS" and "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" by the string "xKoboRoot.tgz".

Last edited by tshering; 05-15-2013 at 04:24 AM.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #365
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Just checked - still no 5.2 update for me in Aus.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:26 AM   #366
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I do this since some time, and I can confirm that it works. Apart from modifying "/etc/init.d/rcS", you might consider modifying also "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" in the same way. To make it clear: I replace all occurrences of the string "KoboRoot.tgz"in the files "/etc/init.d/rcS" and "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" by the string "xKoboRoot.tgz".
I hadn't seen that. "/usr/local/Kobo/udev/usb" looks like it is run when the USB is connected and disconnected. I've wondered how all that was done. And yes, both would need to be changed to prevent the firmware update.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #367
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Question Covers Not displayed when in sleep mode.

Upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 and noticed all my books when in sleep or power off mode had blank covers only showing the title when in sleep or power off mode. Reset the device (not a factory reset) covers still missing when in sleep/power off mode. Downgraded back to 2.5.1 Covers displayed correctly in sleep/power off mode.

Any one else with a similar story?

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:38 AM   #368
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Yes, Jack, other people are reporting this. I have send covers checked off in the driver, so I did not see it. You're late to this particular party
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #369
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Upgraded from 2.5.1 to 2.5.2 and noticed all my books when in sleep or power off mode had blank covers only showing the title when in sleep or power off mode. Reset the device (not a factory reset) covers still missing when in sleep/power off mode. Downgraded back to 2.5.1 Covers displayed correctly in sleep/power off mode.

Any one else with a similar story?
As taming said, it has been reported. But she forgot to mention it is only if the book is on the SD card. Kobo know about it and are looking at it.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 AM   #370
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Just checked - still no 5.2 update for me in Aus.
My Aura also won't upgrade, all the more confusing because my Mini did days ago. I've tried several times, both via desktop and wireless sync with no result. I can only guess they've pulled it for some reason.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM   #371
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm in the UK. My Aura updated via Desktop on 12th May, so it hadn't been pulled 3 days ago.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #372
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm in the UK. My Aura updated via Desktop on 12th May, so it hadn't been pulled 3 days ago.
I tried again and still got nothing.

I bought books Friday, Saturday, and very early Sunday morning and synced each time. It's not a big deal, just struck me as odd because the Mini updated immediately, as soon as I read here there was one available. I didn't try to do the Aura until the next day but had no success.

Oh well, it gets here when it gets here.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM   #373
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

David, I did not get it for the Aura either. I had to resort to other methods <wink>.
Old 05-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #374
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
As taming said, it has been reported. But she forgot to mention it is only if the book is on the SD card. Kobo know about it and are looking at it.
Taming/David Thanks for the information. I really have to insist though that Covers need to be displayed, it is an important component of the eReader experience(AFAIC). That said When I skimmed over the thread I must have missed the original post on the issue!

so once again Thanks for the information.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #375
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I really have to insist though that Covers need to be displayed, Jack
Really! Displaying titles was intentional, this, clearly a bug. I'm pretty sure you need not insist to see it change.