Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #121
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Well, I poked around and found .apk files in two locations: /system/app and /data/app ... it appears that these are the install packages. No matter which one I choose, it says "do you want to replace the app?" or something like that. I guess, therefore, that the contents of these two folders may be safe to move to SDCARD.

Would moving them give you additional app space?
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #122
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
I finally got a 32GB micro-SD (from 1SaleaDay) and thought I'd try "the big move". Then I read this thread and decided to hold off.

If I run out of memory, I'll just kill myself instead.
LOL - I had a lot of fun getting this to work.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #123
asnider123
Connoisseur
asnider123 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge Golden-Allmine-Ermine-rc3
Well, I experimented further by renaming one of the apk files in the /data/app folder, getjar....apk in particular. I added ".old" to the name, then went back to my launcher and clicked the icon. ERROR!!!!!! Renamed it back, now it works fine, though the icon changed to a generic Android one (I think it will get the correct icon back eventually).

So.... would it work to:
1. copy all files and subfolders in /data/app to /extsdcard (remember, it's been remapped to the 3gb chunk of internal ram)
2. change the vold .. internal file to mount that extsdcard folder with the name /data/app
3. reboot

I am thinking that this would give me 3gigs of internal app space.

So what's wrong with this approach? Why would it not work? If it would, how would I mod my vold file to map the former sdcard to /data/app? Would I need to mod any other file to avoid the original mapping of the /data/app folder?

Thanks
Alan
asnider123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:54 PM   #124
Gerrye
Zealot
Gerrye began at the beginning.

Device: 1 EE,3 PEs,HP Pro Slate12.2,&Kindle Paperwhite,GalaxyTabPro12.2,Note 4
Just for curiosity. Is anyone still trying to perform this type of mod? I tried and got the Link2SD working, but I still do not have any recognition of my Vfat partition in either the Edge storage devices or in Link2SD, even though the 2nd partition (Ext3) is recognized.

Link2SD storage info says:

Internal (93%) free, /data Total: 2.32 gb, Used: 159mb Free: 2.17gb,
SD Card removed,
SD Card 2nd Part. (91%) free, /data/sdext2 Total: 7.48gb, Used 640mb, Free: 6.84gb,
System: 44% free
Cache: 99% free

Edge device storage:

Data Storage device: SD card
Application Storage: Total space 2.32gb, Available space 2.17gb
SD card: Total Space Unavailable Available space Unavailable...

I am able to create links to the Ext3 partition and the files are moving there, but I cannot find my books, etc on the device storage or the library.

Any thoughts on getting the Edge to recognize the Vfat partition? Short of repartioning and re-formatting.
Gerrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #125
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
not sure if I've seen it mentioned here before, but recently I've been reading about using cronmod (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1716124)

obviously our 2.2 edge machines don't have init.d, but something like script manager or autostart root should do the same function.

when I have some free time I'll mess around with the 40int2ext script (INT2EXT+ - it's the recommended one apparently - http://d-h.st/xwB - link goes to CWM-type recovery installer .zip, actual necessary single script file is in system/etc/init.d/ of the zip)

at first glance it looks like the script isn't doing anything really beyond the abilities of the edge (well aside from ext4 support I imagine) so it will almost work as-is - other than the missing zipalign binary, which is easy enough to get (e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=594615) but still needs manual cli install.

if something interesting happens I'll mention about it...

(there's also still the problem of the "missing/damaged" sd card error - fix is easy and could simply be added to the script, although the error would still show up, not to mention sleep/resume or add/remove card could be problematic...)
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #126
Gerrye
Zealot

Tarvoke,
Thanks for the reply, maybe some others, with much more expertise than I, will take interest in keeping this thread alive, and possibly simplify the process that Kenny Minot so valiantly and faithfully tried to pass on to some of us less than proficient Edge lovers.

Even with my Vfat error, moving the apps to the SD card using this process will extend the life of my PE, until there is no battery(ies) left or something happens to the "innerds". We have three PEs and love them like pets. Hopefully they will live long and prosper...

Thanks again for the reply,
Old 12-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #127
Gerrye
Zealot

Just another bump in hopes that someone will take interest in my missing SD card issue. I would love to get both of my PEs working with Link2SD, but until the first is working, the primary PE stays with the original system... Help if you can...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #128
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
I have done this successfully on my EE at least 3 times (my sdcard was corrupted twice and I had to start from scratch), but every time it was somewhat more complicated than the first instructions on page 1.

From what I remember: I used the modified instructions from post #24 (see especially point 6 that might be related to your problem) and probably also did what was suggested in the discussion between ghentj and garyhgary (#51, #55, #60, and especially #62, also #73, #78)

But maybe you tried all this already ...
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 07:27 AM   #129
Gerrye
Zealot

Cool [How To] Move Apps to your SDcard in Ermine

Quote:
Originally Posted by fekhner View Post
I have done this successfully on my EE at least 3 times (my sdcard was corrupted twice and I had to start from scratch), but every time it was somewhat more complicated than the first instructions on page 1.

From what I remember: I used the modified instructions from post #24 (see especially point 6 that might be related to your problem) and probably also did what was suggested in the discussion between ghentj and garyhgary (#51, #55, #60, and especially #62, also #73, #78)

But maybe you tried all this already ...
Thanks for the reply. I've been through all of it at least 3 times, but I'm game to give it another try.... I'll go through your suggested posts...

Thanks again....
Old 12-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #130
fekhner
Addict
fekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animalsfekhner is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: DRs, EE, ipad/iphone, Helix
As far as I remember, there is a discussion and links to posts on how to get the library back buried in the thread about allmine as well
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=174641
Maybe this will give you another angle ...unfortunately when I did this is so long ago that I do not recall the detailed steps, all I can tell you is that it is definitely possible to get everything to work for the EE (apps on the sdcard, working library and google playstore access) .
Good luck !
fekhner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #131
Gerrye
Zealot

Thanks, I'm trying to do this on a PE, I won't have my EE down here until August... but I'll keep working at it... I'll try to take some pictures of the relevant info on the unit and maybe someone will see something wrong that I can't see. Happy holidays....
Old 05-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #132
akatonbo
akatonbo began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe
Fixed my own problem FTW

I had to start over from scratch with my PE due to a stalling-while-booting issue, so I got to do this all over again, and was having crap luck at it. Finally decided to reread the entire thread and not just the content-heavy first couple of pages, and lo and behold I see that I had actually posted in it the last time I did this. Yeah, you guessed it, the thing I said I had to do the first time around? Finally made it work this time, too.

So, for anyone else who's tried the lengthier and/or repeated suggestions and still had no luck? Format the CRAP out of that sucker with SDFormatter -- specifically, use the Full (Overwrite) format, not the Quick format -- and then go into Minitool to add the second partition (i.e. resize the original partition to a smaller size to make room for a second one, then create the second one). Both times -- today and when I did it the first time over a year ago -- that was the trick that sweet-talked my PE into recognizing the SD card as usable. Everything else worked like a charm.
akatonbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #133
Gerrye
Zealot

Thanks, I had given up hope. It seems that interest in the PE is waning, but I will give it another go.... I'll keep my PEs and EE going until they drop from exhaustion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by akatonbo View Post
I had to start over from scratch with my PE due to a stalling-while-booting issue, so I got to do this all over again, and was having crap luck at it. Finally decided to reread the entire thread and not just the content-heavy first couple of pages, and lo and behold I see that I had actually posted in it the last time I did this. Yeah, you guessed it, the thing I said I had to do the first time around? Finally made it work this time, too.

So, for anyone else who's tried the lengthier and/or repeated suggestions and still had no luck? Format the CRAP out of that sucker with SDFormatter -- specifically, use the Full (Overwrite) format, not the Quick format -- and then go into Minitool to add the second partition (i.e. resize the original partition to a smaller size to make room for a second one, then create the second one). Both times -- today and when I did it the first time over a year ago -- that was the trick that sweet-talked my PE into recognizing the SD card as usable. Everything else worked like a charm.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:37 AM   #134
Mosqueteir0
Mosqueteir0 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
bump!

I am having the same problem with my EE. The link2sd worked to move my apps to /data/sdext2 (the second partition of my 32gig sdcard) but the first partition (22gig, fat32) won't mount.
Mosqueteir0 is offline   Reply With Quote