Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-06-2008, 12:43 PM   #1
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
An open letter to whomever recommended "The Hogfather" {US}

I'm ashamed to say that I never heard of Terry Pratchett before watching the movie "The Hogfather" which was recommended to me as a good movie.

It was great. Just plain old great.

So, today, I hied my butt over to the Amazon Kindle store, and they have all 37 of his books in Kindle format. So ... I'm going to have myself a little shopping spree and buy them all.

Then, I'm going to spend the next few months immersed in DiscWorld .....

I don't think I've been this happy since the day I discovered Larry Niven.

Last edited by nekokami; 07-08-2008 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Whooooom ;) and [US] by order of Queen Z
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I'm glad you like Pratchett - his books create a wonderful world.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I envy you.......nothing quite like that feeling. Will have to try him. His books, that is.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

It looks like I spent about $250 today in my quest for all things Pratchett. I was in error when I said they were all in Kindle format. I had to go to Fictionwise for two of them ... one of which was rather expensive ($13.00 plus for an ebook).

However, when I'm really intrigued by something, I've got to read everything I can about it. And, DiscWorld really intrigues me.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Terry Pratchett is god. Well, not THE god, but A god. A small god, maybe. One of those that hangs around the Street of Temples, bumming fagends and hoping for a brief, worhipful moment and maybe a minor miracle to perform. Or two. You never know when the Big Break may come, and who knows, maybe one of the Greater Gods will see you and actually remember your name.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Terry Pratchett is god. Well, not THE god, but A god. A small god, maybe. One of those that hangs around the Street of Temples, bumming fagends and hoping for a brief, worhipful moment and maybe a minor miracle to perform. Or two. You never know when the Beig Break may come, and who knows, maybe one of the Greater Gods will see you and actually remember your name.
And he's going to be in Tempe, Arizona in 2009.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:20 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Look, you made me go and download a sample.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:22 PM   #8
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Look, you made me go and download a sample.
Oh, you poor dear thing!! Samples?? We don need no stinkin samples!!
Old 07-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
Oh, you poor dear thing!! Samples?? We don need no stinkin samples!!
It's not like I don't have enough to read already. My credit card is on fire and I have to keep throwing money at it lower (not douse) the flames. Off to finish my Robert B. Parker, I'm 3/4's of the way through then maybe I'll read the sample.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:26 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Terry Pratchett

I haven't read him before. Which book would someone suggest I start with?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Start at the beginning with Colour of Magic. It never makes sense, but it makes more sense if you know the players.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I've been slowly moving from paper to ebook for my discworld fix too, there are almost too many
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
At the Amazon site I found this list that someone made up:

http://www.amazon.com/Discworld-Terr...ch_f_2_rsrscs0

It has one or two that are apparently picture books rather than novels ... so those won't be in the Kindle Store, but they had most of them. The ones they were missing ... were .... "Hat Full of Sky" and "Johnny and the Bomb."

Those two were at Fictionwise.

The chronological list is the order I plan to go in .... not that a plan is really necessary.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:03 AM   #14
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Glad you Followed up the Suggestion to check out the Hogfather Movie.

And you will definitely enjoy the books even more.

In Fact I've got two of my cousins Interested in the series by showing them the Movie.

We were only going to watch the first part that night as it was getting late, but they could not wait till the next day . In fact the next day they begged to get the books so they could get started.

As for where to start, I personally feel that the Colour of magic and the Light Fantastic is not the best books to start with, as they are nowhere near Pratchett's best work. His style is still developing, and as such does not give the best impression of the Author.

I would suggest starting with either

Guards! Guards! - The beginning of the Guards series. you don't really need a lot of background info here and is a great read. The characters and situations they are in get more complex as the series progresses, but you really need to start here to get most of the references.

Similarly, Start with Equal Rites, or better Wyrd Sisters to get into the Witches Series. While Equal rites was the first featuring the characters, Wyrd sisters was the firs where the characters resembled the characters as they are today.

Or, If You started with Hogfather, and want to know more about the characters in the movie, Start with Mort, the first in the Death Series.

L-Space has a great reading Guide, with suggestions and a lot of other stuff suc as listings of all the annotations that have been found in the books, and there are tons.

The reading Guide can be found here http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-...des/index.html , and I've attached the Graphic version of it here for easy reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	the-discworld-reading-order-guide-1-5.jpg
Views:	4424
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	14145  

Last edited by bbusybookworm; 07-07-2008 at 03:07 AM.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #15
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
I wouldnt recommend starting with the Rincewind cycle ("Colors of Magic" and "Light fantastic" are good. Just not for all starters )
Dont get me wrong: They are fantastic. I just found some people to better like him if they started with his later works. (And later read (and like) his earlier ones).
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
terry pratchett, unutterable silliness