Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
MechAlucard
MechAlucard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Kindle 3G Data-plan and adverse effects of Modifying

I just recently purchased a Kindle 3G and so far I really like it. However, looking into the possible software modifications I have become interested in it's modification. I am curious about other owners of the 3G version and their results in modifying it. Specifically, if Amazon has banned their 3G connectivity. If I can continue 3G access with it modified I'll definitely do it otherwise I don't think I'd be able to relinquish my free internet connection.
Thanks!
MechAlucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
I don't have 3G myself, but not that I've heard (and there are lots of folks here with 3G. I'll let them go into specifics though.

If you decide to go ahead here is a list of hacks that I found useful / easy to use:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127052
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #3
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
What kinds of modifications are you talking about exactly? I've seen no 3G-related hacks for the Kindle.

The only problem I could see is if the FreeDownload hack was made to work with a 3G connection instead of only Wi-Fi. That'd probably get Kindles using it banned from 3G, as it'd allow a lot of bandwidth to be used up (as opposed to the allowed .prc, .txt, .mobi, and .azw formats, which are usually books and small file size).

I have the jailbreak, screensaver hack, and freedownload installed on my Kindle 3G and there's been no problems. Of course, it's not as though I've gone and told Amazon I put these on there, but I don't think they run scans for them or anything anyway.

Besides, didn't somebody here say that Amazon said they did not support these hacks, but they won't void your warranty? Don't quote me on that, I'm not sure if that's true, but I will email Amazon soon asking about it.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
MechAlucard

I'm not really looking at hacks specifically for the 3G version. I would just like to be in control of the images I see for the "screen saver".

I'm pretty sure that modifying it would void any sort of warranty. Seems to be the general trend with modifying devices. I guess I'll see the other 3G users have to say before trying. Thanks for the information though.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Hello!

I have the Kindle 3 WiFi+3G. I have the screensaver hack and it works fine. I've had it installed for a while (so long that I don't remember when I installed it). I've experienced no problems with Amazon banning my 3G connectivity nor any warnings.
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #6
MechAlucard

Thanks for all the information everyone! I went ahead an did it. It's certainly nice to be in control of the sleep mode images.

Tags
hacks, internet access, kindle 3g