Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
luciaisacat
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Loading data for Virtual library only

Hi! I hope this is the right place to post this question: I manage a very large Calibre Library and the calibre-server is often crashing because of memory problems. If this is a common problem, I wonder if it would be possible to hack the Virtual library in order to create a metadata.db.subset to be used by calibre-server without having it loading in memory the whole library data. Does this make sense? Thank you for your frank opinions.
luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
You can set up access to a VL. But since the V in VL is Virtual, the full DB is used with a filter specified
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
luciaisacat
luciaisacat began at the beginning.

Device: android
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You can set up access to a VL. But since the V in VL is Virtual, the full DB is used with a filter specified
Thanks to theducks for its reply... this is my point exactly: how to launch a server with a subset database (in order to use less memory) without disrupting (or massive copying) the main library database. My question is IF according to your opinion it could be worth to develop an option, within the VL feature, that would instruct Calibre to write a new metadata.db.subset which could be then used for launching the calibre-server. Thanks again!

lucia

luciaisacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by luciaisacat View Post
Thanks to theducks for its reply... this is my point exactly: how to launch a server with a subset database (in order to use less memory) without disrupting (or massive copying) the main library database. My question is IF according to your opinion it could be worth to develop an option, within the VL feature, that would instruct Calibre to write a new metadata.db.subset which could be then used for launching the calibre-server. Thanks again!

lucia

I'm sure Kovid would accept a patch.
But most modern (supported by Calibre) systems have a ton of RAM.
Also 'serving Calibre' is not real intensive, like conversion, so any old PC capable of running a recent OS should do (Linux having a gentle footprint, seem to get more done with less CPU)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote