Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Question Remotely Deregistering a Kobo device

My car was broken into yesterday. My kid's KA1 is now sitting in a pawn shop somewhere. Is there any way to remotely deregister a Kobo device the way we can with a Kindle? Kobo.com doesn't seem to offer this feature. I've searched the forums here and not come up with any hits. The web isn't much help either. I'm thinking this isn't possible, and I'm a bit surprised.

I did wipe the payment info on her Kobo account. Not sure how that will affect her Kobo. It was tied into her checking account. Does the Kobo retain that info separately from the online account?

Any suggestions?
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
My car was broken into yesterday. My kid's KA1 is now sitting in a pawn shop somewhere. Is there any way to remotely deregister a Kobo device the way we can with a Kindle? Kobo.com doesn't seem to offer this feature. I've searched the forums here and not come up with any hits. The web isn't much help either. I'm thinking this isn't possible, and I'm a bit surprised.

I did wipe the payment info on her Kobo account. Not sure how that will affect her Kobo. It was tied into her checking account. Does the Kobo retain that info separately from the online account?

Any suggestions?
The payment info in the online account payment settings is all you need to remove to prevent the KA1 from being used to make purchases from Kobo. I'm going to assume that you also changed the account password to prevent the stolen KA1 from connecting to her account.

The ability to remotely wipe a Kobo the next time it connects to Kobo would be nice.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-31-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: fat fingers cause typos...
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2018, 11:28 PM   #3
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The payment info in the online account payment settings is all you need to remove to prevent the KA1 from being used to make purchases from Kobo. I'm going to assume that you also changed the account password to prevent the stolen KA1 from connecting to her account.

The ability to remotely wipe a Kobo the next time it connects to Kobo would be nice.

Thanks. I did both of those things.

Sure wish they’ll enable remote deregistering in the futire. I can’t imagine I’m the first person to run into a stolen/lost device situation.

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that I’m all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com
Old 08-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
I don't know how this would work on the stolen Kobo,maybe someone with a better idea on how Kobo works can pitch in. My idea is create a new Kobo account, and ask kobo to transfer the old account to the new one. The stolen Kobo will continue to have access to all the books already downloaded, they won't be deleted, but if someone manually deletes one book from the device it won't have access to download it again, and any new books you buy won't be available to the stolen Kobo (not that I think the new owner would be interested in the contents of another account, they will just register the Kobo to their own account if they are really interested in reading )
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by milady133 View Post
...but if someone manually deletes one book from the device it won't have access to download it again, and any new books you buy won't be available to the stolen Kobo (not that I think the new owner would be interested in the contents of another account, they will just register the Kobo to their own account if they are really interested in reading )
I think the OP would probably like to render the Kobo useless to the new "owner," but I don't think there's any way to do this (as there is with Kindle). Actually the Kindle way is a bit of a blessing – and a curse. I'm sorry for the OP, the thief will probably get next to nothing for the KA1 when he sells it and yet it was valuable to the OP and his family. I think just changing the account password should keep the thief out of the OP's Kobo account.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Cootey
Absentminded Reader

Okeh here’s how it went:

I changed the password and wiped the payment info.

Kobo tech suggested that I nuke my account and create a new one for greater security. They said they’d disable the old account and transfer its purchases to the new one. They assured me that the stolen kobo would fail to purchase books and would prompt for new banking info.

It wasn’t a smooth process because I ran into Kobo server issues, and language barrier issues, but in the end a new account was created. With the server issues and miscommunication, it took almost two hours.

The purchases were transferred to the new account, as well as the kobo points. The wishlist was not. Everything was set for a new kobo.

Two days later, my daughter found the kobo at her mother’s under her bed by the wall. 🤦🏻*♂️

When she brought it back to my place, it could still sync with kobo.com. This seemed odd since the account was deactivated, right? While I was discovering the old account was still active, my daughter factory reset the kobo, so I couldn’t try to buy a book with it. I’m not convinced that the payment info was removed.

All’s well that ends well, though. Thanks for everyone’s input. I think that kobo needs to implement a better system. It takes all of five minutes to remove a Kindle device from an account. It doesn’t remotely wipe the Kindle or app install, but the devices can’t sync once I’ve deregistered them. Even if the language barrier and server issues hadn’t occurred, securing my daughter’s “stolen” KA1 would still have taken much longer.

Sent from my iPhone, proving definitively that I’m all thumbs.

http://DouglasCootey.com

Tags
ka1, kobo, remotely deregister