Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-12-2016, 11:28 AM   #1
chazz14
chazz14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Android App.
Post Nominate Your Favourite Ebook Retailer

I'm new to this Forum, but have been reading books from Amazon on my KK3 for the past five years... I currently have 95 titles on my Wishlist, but it's not enough!

This forum is a really positive eye-opener re: the whole Ebook scene - as is the superb Calibre s/ware.

So, my question is: What is the first website you visit when shopping for ebooks?
chazz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Baen e-books (formerly known as Webscriptions)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Baen e-books (formerly known as Webscriptions)
This.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I third the motion.

It would be a far better world if all publishers sold books as well as BAEN does. Not perfect but as close to it as anybody out there. You won't find much opposition to the idea that they got it right a long time ago and are well ahead of even Amazon.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:53 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Baen also. Assuming it is a Baen-published book.
They have done an amazing job and have excellent policies, and even if it is sometimes more convenient to purchase directly on my Kindle I still want to support Baen directly.

After that I check Amazon.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Baen also. Assuming it is a Baen-published book.
They have done an amazing job and have excellent policies, and even if it is sometimes more convenient to purchase directly on my Kindle I still want to support Baen directly.

After that I check Amazon.
Baen is publishing quite a few other lines as well. Look at the sidebar.
They found even more ways to suck money outa my wallet

A Baen Monthly Bundle still is the best bang for your $$
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:06 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Any place that gives me legally free ebooks.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I go to Amazon, first, last and only. I probably would go to Baen if they had the kind of books I read but they don't. I think it's been few years since I've shopped anywhere else.

Oh wait, I guess Gutenberg doesn't really count but if it's for a classic I'll usually go there first. Also East of the Web for short stories. These are both free sites so they're probably not what you're asking about.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I usually shop at either Google play or booksamillion.com - sometimes one site has better prices, sometimes the other. I miss the Sony store because it had a feature to alert you to new books from your favorite author. I don't use the Kobo store because (unless it's changed since I last looked) it doesn't have a wishlist function.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I shop at Kobo, All Romance Ebooks, Barnes & Noble, and eHarlequin.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:05 PM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Pretty much all I buy I buy from Amazon. For selection, price and convenience.

I just recently figured out how to get epubs from certain retailers onto my kindle, but I don't see the point buying them elsewhere if they are the same price or more. I do get some books with codes from eharlequin, now that I know how to read them.

I like to have my stuff in one place and one click away on my kindles.

And I keep collecting slow shipping dollars to buy ebooks with and many sites I can earn amazon gift cards which I use for the books.

Baen looks like an interesting store, but I don't read Sci-fi and Fantasy so it doesn't do me no good.

There was a store for a while from Sourcebooks which they sold the books with no drm and they had mobi. Unfortunately they closed it.

But yeah, Amazon gets all my book budget.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #12
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It use to be Baen for me, but not as much any more. The Oct and Nov bundles are cases in point. In the past, they would have been likely buys, the month anchored by a book that I'm absolutely going to buy, but in both cases half of the ebooks are books I already have (i.e. reprints) and others are older books being brought to ebooks so the November only has 2 out of 8 new books and the Oct only has 3 out of 8 new books. I might buy the ARC of the two must buy books, but probably not the bundle.

I buy pretty much all my books from Amazon, but because there is so much about the store that I don't like, I can't really call them my favorites.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:27 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Amazon then I go to Google Play or Kobo. I also shop at Harlequin. However if I can find the book on Overdrive at one of my libraries then that's my first choice. I don't need to own a book if I'm going to read it only once. It's taken years for me to realize it.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 06:35 AM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Kobo, then Amazon.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Amazon, of course. Then Kobo.

To do otherwise would just be....silly....wouldn't it?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote