Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Exercise equipment, yea or nay?
I've got something and I use it. 5 38.46%
I've got something gathering dust. 4 30.77%
I'd like something, but don't have it for various reasons (space, expense, time, etc.) 1 7.69%
I use exercise equipment away from home only. 1 7.69%
You have got to be kidding. What a waste of money and space! 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How I love my stationary bicycle! (Not really.)

I've just got off my stationary bicycle and I wondered about fellow MRers and their relationship to exercise equipment, especially whether or not they have equipment and if they use it for more than a clothes hanger. A few fairly random thoughts on my part:

I'm happy with the bicycle overall, as exercise equipment goes. It's got a relatively small footprint and you can get a quality bicycle for less than you'd have to spend on a good treadmill, say. I can also do some web-surfing or reading while I use it, which kills the time reasonably effectively. (I listen to audiobooks while walking or swimming.)

I finally forced myself back on it a few days ago, after a hiatus. I've noted that the pattern with exercise for me is that I'm most likely to do what I did the day before. Routine is my friend; one day off can result in weeks of averting my eyes.

Location matters. In warmer weather, I used to keep my bicycle in the dining room where it was out of the way, but I moved it to the den in the winter because warmer. The reality is that I'm more likely to get on it when it's in the den, because the den is where I generally hang out anyway and it's a visible goad.

I'd rather be doing something outside, but given where I live it's handy to have an indoor option (and one that's here, as opposed to my mostly unused Planet Fitness membership).

I cheat. I have the cheapest Fitbit, the Zip, and I will confess that I stick it in a pocket or clip it to my shorts leg so pedaling registers as steps. I'm ok with this, as I figure it encourages me to keep moving. Anyway, that's my rationale.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
We bought a treadmill in February, and I use it most days for at least 30 minutes. I usually read while walking, only occasionally watching something on Netflix.

I prefer walking on the treadmill to walking outside because I can set a pace and keep it for the entire time. I have an Apple Watch that tracks my steps, in August I walked 108 miles total, 45 or so would have been on the treadmill.

We have a stepper too that hubby likes, but mostly he has a YMCA membership that he uses 2-3 times per week.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The handle make a great rack for hanging clothes, out of the dryer. . . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I've noted that the pattern with exercise for me is that I'm most likely to do what I did the day before. Routine is my friend; one day off can result in weeks of averting my eyes.
thrice over

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I cheat. I have the cheapest Fitbit, the Zip, and I will confess that I stick it in a pocket or clip it to my shorts leg so pedaling registers as steps. I'm ok with this, as I figure it encourages me to keep moving. Anyway, that's my rationale.

Except I have what was the dearest Fitbit (Charge2), which I wear constantly. I got that one because it also measures heart rate, and it was heavily discounted at the time. I tried using a couple of step counting mobile phone apps, but I didn't like carrying a phone when walking. Fact is: I don't like carrying it, period; and when I do, it stays in my bag until it rings or I have to make a call. At my request mobile data is blocked by the telco.

Lack of space precludes having fitness machinery at home, so I use a commercial gym. Apart from equipment variety, another advantage is free guidance (aka nagging) from the exercise physiologists - i.e. they tell me what I'm doing wrong I (try to) do a couple of daily workouts at home using hand weights and thera-bands.

Aside: I noticed our immediate past Prime Minister wears the same Fitbit as me when he's doing his shopping in NYC :lol:

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-15-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:01 PM   #5
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have a stationary bike and a weight machine. I use them sporadically -- when I use them I tend to go a few months, but then I lapse ... for a few months.

I originally had an ancient (from the 80s) Schwinn stationary bike. It died about four years ago and I replaced it with a more compact, more modern design.

I got the weight machine in the 90s. I bought it locally and a couple of sales agents worked together to get it into my minivan. When I got home I opened the box in the minivan and brought the individual pieces into the basement to assemble it. I assume I'll leave it there if we ever sell the house.

My wife had a good treadmill. When it broke down she replaced it with an elliptical machine. After a few years it needed maintenance for a worn out bearing.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
I have a Concept2 Rower, which I use pretty consistently. I have been rowing for about 14 years since I blew my back out.

My wife and I plan our workout schedule every Sunday (we try to cross train). So I will usually have a row at least 3 days a week and another 2 of weights or some other kind of HIIT training. Me being me, I have an obsessively detailed spreadsheet that tracks our workouts, calories burned and HR averages for each workout.

I usually listen to books on my rows, but nothing when we are doing other workouts.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Flaneurette
Enthusiast
Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.Flaneurette is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: Kindle oasis3/Kobo sage/nook4&4+/Kindle Scribe
this reminds me I really should fire up an audiobook and get on my elliptical
Flaneurette is offline   Reply With Quote