Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Amazon Limiting 3G Internet Access via its Kindle Web Browser to 50 MB a Month

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...50-mb-a-month/

Quote:
Amazon has offered various e-readers over the years with built in 3G internet access. This has always been a free service once you ponied up the initial amount of cash to buy a device with 3G enabled. It allows people to buy eBooks, newspapers and magazines while traveling. Recently, Amazon has imposed a bandwidth cap on customers using the internet browser to purchase content and surf the internet. They have imposed a 50 MB bandwidth limit on the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle DX’s internet access. All other e-readers with 3G access are immune to this new restriction, so it might be time to upgrade if you use it lots.

The limitations of internet access only applies to websites outside of Amazon and Wikipedia. You can continue to download content directly from Amazon as much as you want, without worrying that you will go over your cap.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
The death of Open Internet made this one a given. It was just a question of how soon, and how long before all the other ISPs get the same idea.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
They have imposed a 50 MB bandwidth limit on the Kindle Keyboard and Kindle DX’s internet access. All other e-readers with 3G access are immune to this new restriction, so it might be time to upgrade if you use it lots.
I don't think this article has its facts/terminology quite straight. So my K2 and others' K1s are immune? Why upgrade?

Also, in one sentence:
Quote:
imposed a bandwidth cap on customers using the internet browser to purchase content and surf the internet.
And in another:
Quote:
You can continue to download content directly from Amazon as much as you want, without worrying that you will go over your cap.
Regardless ... I have no real feelings on the cap. It's not like I'd ever come close to bumping into it even if it does apply to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Where is the link to Amazon's announcement?
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
What's funny is that engadget's piece on it refers to us as a source.

Quote:
According to users on MobileRead, you'll still be able to browse Amazon's Kindle store and Wikipedia, but anything beyond that gets locked down.
-from http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/24/a...it-web-browse/

Edit: Ah, from this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185765

Last edited by CWatkinsNash; 07-24-2012 at 05:17 PM.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Since Amazon always paid for 3G access, capping it is no big deal.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
What's funny is that engadget's piece on it refers to us as a source.
We iz important newz source
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I don't think this article has its facts/terminology quite straight. So my K2 and others' K1s are immune? Why upgrade?
Regardless ... I have no real feelings on the cap. It's not like I'd ever come close to bumping into it even if it does apply to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Since Amazon always paid for 3G access, capping it is no big deal.
I see this statement in particular:

Quote:
All other e-readers with 3G access are immune to this new restriction, so it might be time to upgrade if you use it lots.
Is the "other e-readers with 3G access" referring to Amazon eReaders? i.e. Kindles?
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Also, I have to wonder if this isn't the existing 50Mb cap on 3G web browsing outside the US getting twisted/misrepresented a bit?

Quote:
Experimental Web Browser

The Experimental Web Browser is currently only available for some customers outside of the United States and may be limited to 50MB of browsing over 3G per month. This limit does not apply when customers are browsing over Wi-Fi.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Also, I have to wonder if this isn't the existing 50Mb cap on 3G web browsing outside the US getting twisted/misrepresented a bit?
Excellent point. Nice sharpshooting. Makes me feel better. I don't use the 3G much, but maybe 1 or 2 months a year on vacation, I might go over 50MB/month.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
MidnightBlue
écureuil secret
MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MidnightBlue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
The death of Open Internet made this one a given. It was just a question of how soon, and how long before all the other ISPs get the same idea.
??? I am not sure what you are saying. What is the death of open Internet, and in what way is Amazon an ISP?
MidnightBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 AM   #12
WatchAdam
Enthusiast
WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WatchAdam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Look, I don't like data caps more than the next guy, but is anyone here using that much data through the Kindle's experimental web browser? It's basically text only as is, and you can't stream videos or music as far as I know.
WatchAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
Yep, data quotas are everywhere now. Verizon has/is eliminating unlimited plans which will affect me when I upgrade (as early as today...)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
We iz important newz source
yes we iz!

(and the interwebz iz inceztuous)
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
??? I am not sure what you are saying. What is the death of open Internet, and in what way is Amazon an ISP?
Open internet was an attempt by the Federal government over here (in case you're not in the US) to require all ISPs to treat every single data packet equally and prevent arbitrary throttling. It failed because the Tea Party decided to paint it as a move to censor the internet, and made sure it died a horrible death.

What makes Amazon an ISP is that you buy your Kindle's 3G data package from it, and that allows it to decide just what you can do with that internet access.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote