Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-27-2011, 04:40 PM   #16
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't mind a bigger screen-but then, I have an iPad for "big screen" stuff.
As for the rest, count me in as one of those "I just want it to work", hide the technology, " I don't give a %^& about formats" types who is happy in Apple's walled garden. When you are older, you realise that life's too short to be dinking around with devices that should just work coming out of the box.
By "just work" do you mean I should be able to just copy some files onto an SD card and go?

Oh, you mean, install a specific program for that piece of hardware, use it to organize and sync your library. Ugh. I hate itunes.

In my mind, drop files onto SD card or device = "just want it to to work" or "work coming out of the box".

It only "just works" if you're happy with itunes as the ultimate in music and video management, and like buying your content from itunes, and willing to put up with requiring a computer/itunes/sync to load content.

Dinking around with itunes (I'd rather use MediaMonkey), updating itunes, un-associating filetypes from itunes (and quicktime) when I install it, and using a big program to sync when all I want to really do is drop a few files onto the device and roll...that's the opposite of "just work" in my book.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 09-27-2011 at 04:42 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:02 PM   #17
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
By "just work" do you mean I should be able to just copy some files onto an SD card and go?

Oh, you mean, install a specific program for that piece of hardware, use it to organize and sync your library. Ugh. I hate itunes.

In my mind, drop files onto SD card or device = "just want it to to work" or "work coming out of the box".

It only "just works" if you're happy with itunes as the ultimate in music and video management, and like buying your content from itunes, and willing to put up with requiring a computer/itunes/sync to load content.

Dinking around with itunes (I'd rather use MediaMonkey), updating itunes, un-associating filetypes from itunes (and quicktime) when I install it, and using a big program to sync when all I want to really do is drop a few files onto the device and roll...that's the opposite of "just work" in my book.
(Shrug)
Everbody's experience is different.
My experience is that the SD card DIDN"t work with my Android smartphone, despite hours of dinking around with it (and swearing at it). There was NO tech support.

I've bought only a few tunes from Apple-a very smooth experience, I might add. Most of my music I had before I bought my iPad. I ripped the CDs into Itunes, plugged in my Ipad , and it synched automagically onto my device. Didn't have to deal with cryptic commands, create Music folders, invent an organizational sytem, or anything. A couple minutes later, I was ready to go. Never had to call Apple tech support, never had to trawl the forums for advice, never had to tinker with the device whatsover except to change wallpapers and do a reset now and again. Malware? Not my problem. Shopping for apps? Great experience-1,000 per cent better than Google Market. Apps-more apps, better apps. (There's an app for just about anything in the App Store-you may have heard).
I could goon, but why pile on...
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 06:19 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
To be honest, we're not really sure a new ipod touch will be released.
What Apple might well do is release the iPhone lite for $299. You get an iphone 4 without a contract and 8GB memory . It would stop these Galaxy Players dead in their tracks.
I could go for that iPhone.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:27 PM   #19
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
(Shrug)
Everbody's experience is different.
My experience is that the SD card DIDN"t work with my Android smartphone, despite hours of dinking around with it (and swearing at it). There was NO tech support.

I've bought only a few tunes from Apple-a very smooth experience, I might add. Most of my music I had before I bought my iPad. I ripped the CDs into Itunes, plugged in my Ipad , and it synched automagically onto my device. Didn't have to deal with cryptic commands, create Music folders, invent an organizational sytem, or anything. A couple minutes later, I was ready to go. Never had to call Apple tech support, never had to trawl the forums for advice, never had to tinker with the device whatsover except to change wallpapers and do a reset now and again. Malware? Not my problem. Shopping for apps? Great experience-1,000 per cent better than Google Market. Apps-more apps, better apps. (There's an app for just about anything in the App Store-you may have heard).
I could goon, but why pile on...
See, I've never had that problem. I had some MP3s on my SD card that I had in my old phone, and when I popped it in my Android phone, the music player found them without any problems.

That is one of the problems with Android. Too many companies come out with custom versions of stock apps, and custom user interfaces, and many of them suck. Fragmentation also makes it trickier, because what applies to one phone may not on another. I can't just say, "do this" on your phone if it has different stuff loaded on by the maker or carrier.

As far as malware, that really isn't an issue on android. So far, only malware is stuff that you have to be blind or braindead. Basically all that has been out so far, is a few apps in the market that access and do things they really shouldn't. However, it is the fault of the phone owner at that point. All Android apps show their needed permissions when you install them. If you see that an app for reading ebooks needs full read and write access to your contact, ability to monitor phone calls, GPS access, and internet access, shouldn't you find that strange and not install it? Also, you could really do the same sort of thing with the iPhone. Apple's testing and approval is constantly letting stuff slide past that they'd ordinarily reject.

Quote:
To be honest, we're not really sure a new ipod touch will be released.
What Apple might well do is release the iPhone lite for $299. You get an iphone 4 without a contract and 8GB memory . It would stop these Galaxy Players dead in their tracks.
iPhone 4 does sell unlocked and without contract, but starting at $649

Last edited by Hellmark; 09-27-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #20
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
See, I've never had that problem. I had some MP3s on my SD card that I had in my old phone, and when I popped it in my Android phone, the music player found them without any problems.

That is one of the problems with Android. Too many companies come out with custom versions of stock apps, and custom user interfaces, and many of them suck. Fragmentation also makes it trickier, because what applies to one phone may not on another. I can't just say, "do this" on your phone if it has different stuff loaded on by the maker or carrier.

As far as malware, that really isn't an issue on android. So far, only malware is stuff that you have to be blind or braindead. Basically all that has been out so far, is a few apps in the market that access and do things they really shouldn't. However, it is the fault of the phone owner at that point. All Android apps show their needed permissions when you install them. If you see that an app for reading ebooks needs full read and write access to your contact, ability to monitor phone calls, GPS access, and internet access, shouldn't you find that strange and not install it? Also, you could really do the same sort of thing with the iPhone. Apple's testing and approval is constantly letting stuff slide past that they'd ordinarily reject.

iPhone 4 does sell unlocked and without contract, but starting at $649

Believe me, I don't want to start an Apple/Android flame war. i actually liked my Android smartphone at first. I enjoyed playing around widgets, configuring my home screens, and testing out task managers. I even found some sweet apps. The thing that drove me up the wall is that the battery life SUCKED. What's the best cell phone? a LIVE cellphone. I learned that when I would unplug the power cord at 800 am and by three the phone was done or near-done. Well, I did the Android fan thing.

I trawled the forums.
I tried various power management schemes.
I configured settings.
I installed helper apps.

Nothing worked. Eventually, I said, "F*************K!! I didn't buy a smartphone to become a power management geek." I bought several power cords and just made sure I had one at home, work, in the car-everywhere I went. Eventually, my smartphone broke and I am using a cheap dumb phone right now that's rocking two days between plugins. I may never buy another smartphone again.
I can't speak for the iPhone but I do know that the iPad's power management is excellent.
Advert
Old 09-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #21
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Eventually, I said, "F*************K!! I didn't buy a smartphone to become a power management geek."
lol! I think that is the most difficult things for some geeks (and I include my younger self in that category) to understand-it isn't that we can't figure this stuff out, it's that we just don't care to anymore.

Some people just love pushing their devices to the limit, discovering amazing ways to save battery power, run apps that aren't officially sanctioned, and customize them to fit their every personal need and beyond. More power to them!
I just don't want to bother any more If it works without me ever having to search for custom ROMs and hacks every 3 months, even better.

What is great about the market today is there are options for all levels of users.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #22
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:

I trawled the forums.
I tried various power management schemes.
I configured settings.
I installed helper apps.

Nothing worked. ...
I can't speak for the iPhone but I do know that the iPad's power management is excellent.
It looks like you didn't do a very good job looking. Here is a link on our very on Mobileread site
My HOW-TO way to increase Android Battery.

If you read the that thread you'll see why the iPad has such good life as does my nook Color.

Incidentally my wife's tongue and check comment about the iPad battery life is "The battery last a long time on my iPad... so long as I don't use it."

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
lol!.... I just don't want to bother any more ....
I totally agree, I'm getting their in age myself. I've never owned an Apple product prior to my last year's purchase of my son's iTouch and wife's iPad I will never buy another Apple product.

I'm tired of dinking around with their products. They are by far the most difficult products to setup. And if something is not supported off the cuff. It is sheer effort to find out a workaround.

Their online customer support is as bad as Google. At least Android has a better online community.

=X=
Old 09-28-2011, 05:48 PM   #24
stonetools
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
It looks like you didn't do a very good job looking. Here is a link on our very on Mobileread site
My HOW-TO way to increase Android Battery.

If you read the that thread you'll see why the iPad has such good life as does my nook Color.

Incidentally my wife's tongue and check comment about the iPad battery life is "The battery last a long time on my iPad... so long as I don't use it."

=X=
MY power management troubles were about six months ago-before that post.

Dunno how your wife uses her Ipad but I use my iPad all day long from 7.00am in the morning till 11.00 pm at night , where its generally still around 50%. That's good enough for me. If I don't use my iPad, my battery doesn't seem to run down at all-wheras my Android phone's battery ran down whether I was using it or not. Moreover, I get that battery life without having to "how-to" or configure anything at all... which is just how I like it.

Last edited by stonetools; 09-28-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #25
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
MY power management troubles were about six months ago-before that post.
For shame, that post would have saved you so much angst

Quote:
Dunno how your wife uses her Ipad but I use my iPad all day long from 7.00am in the morning till 11.00 pm at night ,
Usually from 6-9PM, not daily. It's always connected so it starts with a full charge. Usually down to 30% when she stops. She usually plays games(solitaire) and browsers.

She has the original iPad I don't know if that makes a difference.

Quote:
wheras my Android phone's battery ran down whether I was using it or not. Moreover, I get that battery life without having to "how-to" or configure anything at all... which is just how I like it.
Is the Android phone the first phone you've ever owned? Battery drain, even if the phone is not in use, is a function of the cel radio. It is always on. You don't have this problem with the iPad because it's not a phone and does not need to connect to a tower. My nook with CM7(Android 2.3) last forever on standby mode so long as it is not in use.

When I took a cruse I turned off my cell radio to avoid roaming fees. The phone lasted several days on a single charge. Even after using as a camera, game machine, PDA. It's the data connectivity that kills the Android phones. Disable it and you will go a long way with your battery life.

=X=
Old 09-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

When I took a cruse I turned off my cell radio to avoid roaming fees. The phone lasted several days on a single charge. Even after using as a camera, game machine, PDA. It's the data connectivity that kills the Android phones. Disable it and you will go a long way with your battery life.

=X=
I haven't renewed my monthly fee for my Virgin Mobile Optimus V since it expired on Monday, and it died after a few hours (probably from multiple attempts to access unavailable data). Trying to reach remote towers is a big power suck (or in my case, being denied by the towers). Cell radio eats a lot. My Nook color lasts like a week, plus, most of the time.

The Optimus - normally I get almost 2 days out of it. All I do is use a power widget where I turn off bluetooth, wi-fi, GPS, etc when I'm not using it, and the widget has a brightness toggle also. That's it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote