Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What's the desirability of having the Harvard Classics as one download?

I'm curious to know if this is even desirable and feasible? --- Too much strain on the server, etc.? [The one download would be an option.]

Thank you, RWood!

Most of us who enjoy timeless classics and who frequent MobileRead already have downloaded them, but I was wondering if this would be a usefule service to the newer readers here and in the future.

Just thinking.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
A ZIP or RAR file of the 49 books would be a manageable ~50 Megs for the Sony BBeB/LRF format and slightly smaller for the Mobi/PRC format. It is doable, that is not an issue.

There was some discussion when I started the series of putting them out as single books (as another site has started) or publishing complete volumes as one work. The latter view prevailed.

I plan to keep it as single volumes at MobileRead for several reasons. First, there may be corrections or changes required in some volumes and this is easier to augment if they are single volumes -- the person is assured that they are getting the latest version when they download. Two, people visiting MobileRead will stick around a little longer. Third, those sticking around may decide to join and become a member. And lastly, they might see an advertisement that they like and click on it.

I do plan on creating a MobileRead Wiki page that will list the volumes and then have a link to the thread that has that volume in the format identified. Today that would be Sony BBeB/LRF and Mobi/PRC formats.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #3
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
I would like it all as one download, and I'd be willing to host it from my server.

Thanks,
-Brian
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
jimmyzou
Connoisseur
jimmyzou began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader; Kobo; Nook color
I'm downloading one by one now anyway.
jimmyzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
All in one would be very useful. I've downloaded a few of the volumes, but not all by any means.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I say leave well enough alone. RWood has given good reasons why and I have to agree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I would like to see a the Harvard Classics to be created into a single omnibus collection. Rwood as done a remarkable job into formatting these works into Sony BBeB/LRF and Mobi/PRC formats. I have and I am sure that most of you has added to his Karma. But is there a compelling reason that one could not compile these works into a single edition and post them here on MobileRead? Does someone who posts books on this site have complete control how they are to be used in the future?

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 07-28-2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: Should have credited Rwood instead of J.S Wolf. Sorry!
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The only way you'd get an Omnibus is if RWood did one. He has probably the best sources available for free at the moment and personally, I'm glad they are as they are.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I would like to see a the Harvard Classics to be created into a single omnibus collection.
It would be ludicrously large as a single volume.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I plan to keep it as single volumes at MobileRead for several reasons. First, there may be corrections or changes required in some volumes and this is easier to augment if they are single volumes -- the person is assured that they are getting the latest version when they download. Two, people visiting MobileRead will stick around a little longer. Third, those sticking around may decide to join and become a member. And lastly, they might see an advertisement that they like and click on it.
Sound reasoning - I completely agree with you.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
When I broached the idea of an option for one download - whether it's desirable or even "workable" - I was thinking that if it WAS, then it could all be put in it's own single, zipped file. -- Put all the files in one folder and give it a name.

I wouldn't dare think of suggesting that RWood somehow create one file, with all the titles on this one file!! - hahaha!

Anyway, it was just an idea. You're right, Harry, it would be one huge file!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:19 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The main objection to having a single ZIP file, as I see it, Don, would be the issue of maintenance. These things are never "finished works", as you very well know yourself, and having to upload/download a 50MB file to make a minor change to one of the volumes would be a pretty onerous task.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:55 PM   #13
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

ditto, one download please for here too.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:19 PM   #14
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have added a page to the Wiki that lists all 49 available volumes and has links to the thread that has the downloadable file in either Sony BBeB/LRF or Mobi/PRC format.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I say leave well enough alone. RWood has given good reasons why and I have to agree.
Agree w/JSWolf. Have downloaded quite a few Volumes (thank you, RWood), intend to add some more, but I really do not want volumes I know I will never get around to reading.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote