Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #32461
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
Two things:

"No Time."
"Can't be bothered."

Nobody reads anything. I've seen people installing software using a guide I wrote, and then got complaints that it doesn't work. Turns out they only read the first few words of a sentence, or the list of software and install it, keeping all the default configurations, and they skip all the "If you... then...", and "set X in file Y" parts.

Some people you also can't ask anything. The answer will always be:

"No time.... have to run...."

or:

"I don't know..."

IMHO, it's a matter of priority. Everybody thinks he's so darn important that HE doesn't have to read and/or follow instructions, or can't be bothered to look stuff up or even understand it. Other, lesser people can do that, and if possible, without having to pay them.
Yes, exactly this. Have a new-to-me client. Sent me craploads of friendly emails, over the last n months. Small job, dollar- and work-wise. Fine. We set him up in production, and he complains about the length of the instructions. (sigh). Send him the ebooks, and here's the thing--in the SAME breath in which he complains that he's having panic attacks, about having to upload the ebooks to Amazon, mind you, which is a few clicks, he complains about how the 60 pages of "instructions" (more on that in a moment) are too much, and oh, yeah, he should have done the coding for his books himself.

WTF? I mean, WTF? you are worried about uploading completed, ready-to-go eBooks, to Amazon, but you think you could have coded them YOURSELF??? What freaking universe are you in?

THEN, what really torqued my ass was, with his bitching about the page counts, on the downloadable PDFs, is that he never looked at them. It's NOT "60 pages of instructions,' that idiot. They're 60 screenshots, that show our clients everything from how to put the file into Kindle Previewer (and/or Adobe Digital editions for PC users for ePUBS), how to change the font size, how to change the devices, how to nav the TOC, and more importantly, from our standpoint, the basics of eBooks, like "there aren't any running headers, no page numbers, no widows or orphans, this is what happens when text reflows" and so on.

The POINT is to save people a lot of time and effort--and mine, too--filling out proof forms with all the "mistakes" we made, like "putting a header at the bottom of a page," because they don't undersstand eBooks. So, each page of the PDF is a screenshot, with basically a caption that's one-three lines, saying something like "when you increase the font size, a line has fewer characters, and the screen has fewer lines per page. This means that that heading you see at the "bottom" of the screen, in one font size, on one device, will be completely different for a different person reading the book, and completely different for you, the moment you change the font size."

Why do we have this? Because, if we don't tell them, I waste hours and hours of time, each week, explaining to folks that the 50 mistakes that they listed in their proof form don't actually exist, or aren't mistakes, etc. They get upset and angry about all the mistakes, invest god-knows-how-much-time filling out proof forms, and then I get to waste about an hour, sometimes two, taking screenshots of how the book changes when you do X with the font, etc. and telling them that it's all fine. Who needs that??? Not me.

So I invested all this damn time in making the PDFs, to HELP PEOPLE. And this (*&^%$#@ is sitting there complaining about them, having not opened them, not looked at them, and in the same breath basically saying "this is overkill, and I shouldn't have to look at this, but I don't know how to upload my book to Amazon. BUT, bygod, I DO NOT NEED SO MANY INSTRUCTIONS." Really? You can't do something as incredibly simple, as uploading a completed file, to a system designed for the uber-non-tecchie, but you KNOW that our instructions are "too much?" WTF?

Mind you--we say, in about 3 places, that we don't provide Tech Support. That people are supposed to know all this, BEFORE they contract us--and none do. So, do I just say "go use Google?" NO. I take the time to help them. And then I get this asshat?

90% of the people who come to us have never even SEEN an eBook, up close and personal. Virtually 99% of them don't know how to download files from browsers. They don't know how to sideload a file to a device, and they don't even understand that if you don't have a program on your computer, that will run a given file type, you're SOL. Given that, yeah, right--I created "too many" instructions. Because people think that they should just be able to click-and-go. Not KNOW anything. Not LEEARN anything.

It's simply flat-out infuriating, it really is. If this guy were a one-off, fine, I'd blow it off, but he's not. I feel like the definition of insanity, over and over and over, and NOTHING works with these people. NOTHING.

Hitch aka
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:57 PM   #32462
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The world is too egalitarian now. You used to have to be an egghead (smart) to write a book. And there was another person who edited, and another who page prepped, etc. Non eggheads were content to do the work proper to their station in life. That's just how life was.

Nowadays, every Joe Schmuck thinks he knows every thing, and gosh darn it, he's going to write a book about it. Since he knows everything, he doesn't have to read any manuals, or buy new software, or anything. He is already perfect, don't you know?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:08 PM   #32463
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The world is too egalitarian now. You used to have to be an egghead (smart) to write a book. And there was another person who edited, and another who page prepped, etc. Non eggheads were content to do the work proper to their station in life. That's just how life was.

Nowadays, every Joe Schmuck thinks he knows every thing, and gosh darn it, he's going to write a book about it. Since he knows everything, he doesn't have to read any manuals, or buy new software, or anything. He is already perfect, don't you know?

Yet the same people need a video to tell them how to unbox their cornflakes.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:42 AM   #32464
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
From my experience people think why should I bother reading what this person wrote when I can just call her and she will explain all to me.

I hate wasting time, so I'm kind of like Hitch, I prefer to spell it all out and send it hoping they read it, than having to spend time on the phone dealing with them, but now and again there is some smart people that calls or emails instead following instructions, too bad for them that I also can’t be bothered to do the what they should be doing instead of calling me

Just this week I had two of these, they requested some work, we send them the bill for payment which can only be paid by a code in the ATM and has a time limit for the payment to be made. If the bill is not paid in time we send a notice just reminding them that if the payment is not done the process will be archived without further notice, but if they still want it they can follow the instructions to activate the payment information.

This two people received the notice and called to let me know they are trying to make the payment without success, so the first thing I ask is if they reactivated the payment information, and of course they didn’t, so I tell them to read the last paragraph of the notice and follow the instructions. In the beginning I would activate the payment information when sending the second notice, but I realized that it was not worth it since most times they wouldn’t pay so now I sent the information and even when they call I don’t do it, if they don’t want to have this additional work, pay in time, and believe it or not, some have learned and now don’t call each time they let the date slide, they now solve it themselves.
tempest@de is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 04:44 AM   #32465
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Yet the same people need a video to tell them how to unbox their cornflakes.

BR
So that’s why there are so many unboxing videos on youtube
tempest@de is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:40 AM   #32466
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
So that’s why there are so many unboxing videos on youtube
I hate those! User review videos, if done well, can be a really useful tool for prospective buyers. But why would I want to watch someone just open a box and take out a product?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:56 AM   #32467
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Mind you--we say, in about 3 places, that we don't provide Tech Support. That people are supposed to know all this, BEFORE they contract us--and none do. So, do I just say "go use Google?" NO. I take the time to help them. And then I get this asshat?
I always wanted to send these type of links to people who asked me questions unrelated to the software I worked on/supported.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Upload+ebook+to+amazon
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 AM   #32468
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyWolfsGhost View Post
I always wanted to send these type of links to people who asked me questions unrelated to the software I worked on/supported.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Upload+ebook+to+amazon
It's hilarious to me that you posted this--I was JUST showing this to my own crew yesterday, saying "It's a shame it's so rude to send this." It'd be perfect (sigh).

Hitch
Old 09-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #32469
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
For 18 years I have had a wine cabinet. It holds 220+ bottles. Never a problem.

Today I was putting away a magnum of red wine and it tapped another bottle. Barely tapped it.

Bang! Red wine all over the place! Inside the cabinet, outside the cabinet, all over a fancy nearby rug, and the underlying rug as well. I've dumped a kilo (2 pounds) of baking soda to try to absorb the rest of the wine I couldn't mop up and to kill the smell. . . .

And we had 5+ inches (13 cm.) of rain overnight - and still raining.

So how's your day going?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:07 PM   #32470
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
For 18 years I have had a wine cabinet. It holds 220+ bottles. Never a problem.

Today I was putting away a magnum of red wine and it tapped another bottle. Barely tapped it.

Bang! Red wine all over the place! Inside the cabinet, outside the cabinet, all over a fancy nearby rug, and the underlying rug as well. I've dumped a kilo (2 pounds) of baking soda to try to absorb the rest of the wine I couldn't mop up and to kill the smell. . . .

And we had 5+ inches (13 cm.) of rain overnight - and still raining.

So how's your day going?

Oh, NO! A red?! Zoiks, I've done that--not anytime in the last nearly-30 years, but still--and I remember what a nightmare it was. I think the rug is probably hosed, Ralph, even if it was Scotchguarded--was it?

P.S.: was it a good one? The wine, I mean?

Hitch
Old 09-22-2018, 03:32 PM   #32471
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, NO! A red?! Zoiks, I've done that--not anytime in the last nearly-30 years, but still--and I remember what a nightmare it was. I think the rug is probably hosed, Ralph, even if it was Scotchguarded--was it?

P.S.: was it a good one? The wine, I mean?

Hitch
Good enough for the Germans. . . . (Joke from British comedy 'Allo 'Allo )

A Cabernet/Merlot blend from Chile. (One of 18 bottles. Now 17 bottles. . . ) I'd rate it 85-87. . (But it was $6.87 a magnum. Now it looks like several thousand for the lot. . . )

The carpet is 35 years old. It's scrap. The fancy carpet was only $300, 25 years ago. Who know what the replacement will cost (shrug).

But to replace the carpet - I'll have to move the wine (200+ bottles), the cabinet, a 60 inch TV, a full video support rig, a full 7 foot by 3.5 foot bookcase, a couch, more smaller bookcases, and a big Lazy-Boy chair. AND a 40 gallon aquarium on top of the Wine cabinet.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 09-22-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #32472
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Good enough for the Germans. . . . (Joke from British comedy 'Allo 'Allo )

A Cabernet/Merlot blend from Chile. (One of 18 bottles. Now 17 bottles. . . ) I'd rate it 85-87. . (But it was $6.87 a magnum. Now it looks like several thousand for the lot. . . )

The carpet is 35 years old. It's scrap. The fancy carpet was only $300, 25 years ago. Who know what the replacement will cost (shrug).

But to replace the carpet - I'll have to move the wine (200+ bottles), the cabinet, a 60 inch TV, a full video support rig, a full 7 foot by 3.5 foot bookcase, a couch, more smaller bookcases, and a big Lazy-Boy chair. AND a 40 gallon aquarium on top of the Wine cabinet.
I know, right? It's ALWAYS the stuff you have to move. Same with us, here, with bookcases. (The bane of my existence, in many ways, particularly...dusting!). Same exact thing--you can't move filled bookcases. God only knows what they weigh. Add in some other miscellaneous heavy furniture...man, you have my complete sympathy!!!

Proof positive, magnums are evil.

Hitch
Old 09-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #32473
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I'd suggest a wet/dry vacuum for the excess wine and then an area rug big enough to cover the stain.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:51 PM   #32474
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I know, right? It's ALWAYS the stuff you have to move. Same with us, here, with bookcases. (The bane of my existence, in many ways, particularly...dusting!). Same exact thing--you can't move filled bookcases. God only knows what they weigh. Add in some other miscellaneous heavy furniture...man, you have my complete sympathy!!!

Proof positive, magnums are evil.

Hitch
I forgot to mention, My sister and pregnant niece are coming for a stay in October . . .
Old 09-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #32475
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I'd suggest a wet/dry vacuum for the excess wine and then an area rug big enough to cover the stain.
Hemmi, thanks for the idea.

I will pitch the the fancy rug (hopeless to clean), and look for a small rug to put in front of the wine cabinet (like an entry mat), to cover the stain, at least for a couple of year. That is when my budget is scheduled to replace the carpet, anyways. . . .

I have washed the bottles that got splashed, I will let then dry and then put them back later.

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness