Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
ramboky
Enthusiast
ramboky is on a distinguished road

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Question Any update from Bookeen on the 1.5/2.0 firmware bugs?

Just wondering if anyone has had any update from Bookeen on the bugs in the 1.5 and 2.0 firmware?

Neither their French nor English blogs have been updated since the 24th December. I emailed them on the 28th December and got a "we are working on it" reply on the 5th of January but nothing since. Emailed them again today...

Anybody heard anything?
ramboky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #2
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
Honestly, don't expect another update soon. Bookeen started working on the upcoming Orizon, and this will demand all of their attention for the next six to nine months.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
No update that I know of.
Quote:
Honestly, don't expect another update soon. Bookeen started working on the upcoming Orizon, and this will demand all of their attention for the next six to nine months.
Unless its the same firmware and they can kill two birds with the same stone.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:06 AM   #4
ramboky
Enthusiast

Quote:
Unless its the same firmware and they can kill two birds with the same stone.
Given the Orizon is completely different hardware I would find that highly unlikely.

As I said in my email to them, it's a shame their communication and support is so lousy, I really like my Opus and I like supporting smaller companies but with so many other options now from companies who actually talk to their customers and support their products I couldn't recommend them any more.

I have a round of birthdays coming up and my dollars will be going to their competitors.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:58 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Given the Orizon is completely different hardware I would find that highly unlikely.
How do you know it's "complety different" ? We don't know what's it right ? Gen3 and Opus aren't the same either, they run the same firmware.
Tactile will deserve it own coding, just like the accelerometer did. But then, OS can support multiple hardware...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 01-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
How do you it's "complety different" ? We don't know what's it right ? Gen3 and Opus aren't the same either, they run the same firmware.
Tactile will deserve it own coding, just like the accelerometer did. But then, OS can support multiple hardware...
I hope so. That's the strange thing I feel when people talk about "firmware" for readers. Firmware is the part which handles the screen, for example, which in Linux you can include like another device (that's the reason for them, of course), but the rest of the SOFTWARE, aka, reader, library management... only need perhaps adding some capabilities, which can be available or not. You don't have to begin from raw bones.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
ramboky
Enthusiast

You are both of course, completely correct.

I didn't mean Bookeen would have to create a completely new firmware from scratch, just that they would likely have to build and maintain separate firmware packages for the Orizon and Opus/Gen3 because of the significant differences in hardware (bluetooth, wifi, touch screen etc). I may well be wrong though - perhaps the additional components can be easily be included or omitted as part of the build process.

Either way if (as K-Thom said) Bookeen's focus is on a new device I expect the Opus and Gen 3 wont see much attention until after it releases.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboky View Post
Either way if (as K-Thom said) Bookeen's focus is on a new device I expect the Opus and Gen 3 wont see much attention until after it releases.
I totally agree with you.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #9
ramboky
Enthusiast

Update!

Well... actually, no update. None. Nada. Zilch. It has been five days since I last emailed Bookeen and still no reply. It has been 35 days since the firmware issues were first raised with Bookeen. Still no response. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I give up. I will accept my Opus as it is now and move on.

Folks, look elsewhere for an eBook reader. Bookeen will ultimately disappoint.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I would be surprised if they reacted.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard

Hey, how many said "Nah, update for ePub, bookeen will never release it", and where wrong ?

Might take some time, but they'll fix these few bug.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:39 AM   #12
ramboky
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hey, how many said "Nah, update for ePub, bookeen will never release it", and where wrong ?
Yeah, many, many months late with little or no word from Bookeen along the way and when it finally arrived it was poorly tested and buggy.

Quote:
Might take some time, but they'll fix these few bug.
You're probably right, many, many more months from now Bookeen will finally release a new update with more easy to find bugs which should have been caught. No thanks.

But thanks for sticking up for Bookeen again Eowyn. I'm sure they appreciate it.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:27 AM   #13
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboky View Post
Yeah, many, many months late with little or no word from Bookeen along the way and when it finally arrived it was poorly tested and buggy.
Seriously, I loled when I read your post. "Poorly tested" for a single bug that is not that easy to caught and is not a major bug that can't led to loose all your data, or even can't broke your Cybook? (ie a simple bug on reading metadata that will not happen if the file was present before the update) no seriously, this is NOT a major bug, and this is not what people says by "buggy" or else EVERY software on the world are "buggy"
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
ramboky
Enthusiast

Quote:
Seriously, I loled when I read your post. "Poorly tested" for a single bug that is not that easy to caught and is not a major bug that can't led to loose all your data, or even can't broke your Cybook? (ie a simple bug on reading metadata that will not happen if the file was present before the update) no seriously, this is NOT a major bug, and this is not what people says by "buggy" or else EVERY software on the world are "buggy"
I'm glad I could give you a chuckle, however your comment is as inaccurate as your spelling and grammar.
1) There are several bugs which have been raised and discussed in this forum.
2) The metadata bug is very easy to find. I noticed it within minutes of the firmware upgrade.
3) I never claimed that particular bug was "major" or any other classification.
3) As I have been a commercial software developer for over a decade, I think I'm in a pretty good position to make a call on what should and shouldn't been caught in bug testing and quality control. Some of the bugs raised definitely should have.

But thanks for your barely comprehensible reply. I "loled" too.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:09 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Oh, sure, YOU are so perfect, your software never have any bug whatsoever .

The day my own software show up in production totally bug free, i'll feel like i have a right to yell at bookeen for bug. Until then....

Last edited by EowynCarter; 02-07-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Tags
bookeen, cybook, firmware, gen3, opus