Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
User stylesheets for ePub files

In the thread "Changing paragraph spacing in DRMed epub?", Who are you? discusses a way to specify user stylesheets for epub files on the Sony eBook Library software, and suggests that there's a way to supply a stylesheet for the Reader device as well.

Since I have no experience with hacking the device, is anyone interested in testing this, and maybe writing a Linux-friendly HOWTO?
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i'd like to know this as well.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
May be great to have igorsk support here...
Are you listening, ô great guru of all firmwares ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Shouldn't be hard to test with the run script feature. And don't look at me.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Shouldn't be hard to test with the run script feature. And don't look at me.
i don't know who else we could look at...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2009, 04:41 AM   #6
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

I tried and spent a few hours yesterday evening playing with the FontMapper script but to no joy...

Basically this script mounts (using the mount --bind Linux-specific option which allows mounting into existing file systems) a user-writable FONT folder in lieu of (yet another frenchism ) the /opt/sony/application/FONT folder.

The goal is to use the font files stored in this user-writable folder to change the LRF fonts more easily than by flashing.

I tried mounting a user-writable adobe folder into /opt/sony/application, but it didn't work. I guessed that the target folder had to exist, so I tried creating it, but it didn't work either (maybe this is a read-only space ? because it's in the firmware ?).

Then, I issued a cp -R command to copy all the files in the /opt/sony/application to the user-writable space, added a adobe folder to this copy, and tried mount --bind to mount it in /opt/sony/application ; I thought that it would work, but it didn't...

I think that my basic idea is not bad, but I need help from people who know more than me the PRS filesystem and limitations ; yes this means you, Igorsk

Also, maybe alanine could help us too, he was the nice guy who wrote the FontMapper script...

At least I tried !
David.

PS : I take this opportunity to post a text file containing the result of a ls -laR command into the Sony Reader, it is interesting, IMHO
Attached Files
File Type: zip ls.txt.zip (15.9 KB, 608 views)
Old 09-18-2009, 06:07 AM   #7
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Peter Sorotkin recently said that the Adobe SDK supports user stylesheets.
I'm worried about something though and I've submitted an issue to the maintenance group for EPUB: http://daisy.org/epub/issues/overriding-css
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 AM   #8
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Here's a thread with a user stylesheet hack: Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-505)
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Here's a thread with a user stylesheet hack: Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-505)
The problem with the hack is that once you define things, that's all you get. It overrides any settings in the ePub's CSS.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
dpierron
calibre2opds guru

Or, to put it more precisely, every setting you specify in your user stylesheet overrides the setting that may have been specified in the ePub stylesheet.
The difference with what you said (or what I understood, at least), is that if you only specify a font family in your user stylesheet, the settings in the ePub stylesheet specifying the margin, line height, and other stuff will not be overridden...
Just my two cents
Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
Or, to put it more precisely, every setting you specify in your user stylesheet overrides the setting that may have been specified in the ePub stylesheet.
The difference with what you said (or what I understood, at least), is that if you only specify a font family in your user stylesheet, the settings in the ePub stylesheet specifying the margin, line height, and other stuff will not be overridden...
Just my two cents
Correct. But if the line height in the CSS is specifically for the embedded fonts used with that ePub, it may look silly with your default fonts. What we need is for ADE to take what's in the CSS of the ePub and override any user style sheet elements and not the other way round. That way, when we get ePub that don't use embedded fonts, we can have our choice of default fonts and when they do, we use those.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 AM   #12
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
JSWolf
I think it's better that ADE works the way it does, otherwise we wouldn't be able override embedded fonts/styles.

I'll add option to enable/disable (or maybe even cycle through all css files) custom css (just by renaming css files) to PRS+. This would solve the problem with embedded fonts.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #13
sideburnt
Connoisseur
sideburnt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
JSWolf
I think it's better that ADE works the way it does, otherwise we wouldn't be able override embedded fonts/styles.

I'll add option to enable/disable (or maybe even cycle through all css files) custom css (just by renaming css files) to PRS+. This would solve the problem with embedded fonts.
wow that would be great functionality, I use CSS daily for my job, and I've already created a few seperate style sheets for Dolly and Gentium Fonts but it would be great to be able to switch within the device rather than by ranaming style sheets.

Kartu, you deserve a donate button, get on it!
sideburnt is offline   Reply With Quote