Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #1
TaraM
TaraM began at the beginning.

Device: undecided
Free converted files don't appear on Home screen of Kindle2

Hi all, I solved this while on the line with Amazon, and they didn't know what to do either, so I thought I should share.

I am using a Mac 10.5 and Firefox, and I got my emails for downloading free converted files, but when they downloaded, only the first word of the original file name was downloaded as the file name. For example, one document was "Lima - WikiTravel.doc" and when I downloaded, it became "Lima". The email listed the file name as "Lima - WikiTravel.doc.azw". (Perhaps the web browser ate it on the space after Lima, haven't tested that.)

I transferred "Lima" to my K2's documents folder, ejected it, and no Lima file was there on my home screen.

I plugged back in and went to Finder, verified it was there and noticed the extension difference between it and all the others. Once I renamed the file to have the extension ".doc.azw" (Lima.doc.azw) and ejected, it showed up on the home screen.

Moral of the story: Make sure the file you put on the K2 has the full extension.
TaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Tara, and thanks for the hint.

You might want to change your "device" description......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do you have "Show all file extensions" turned on in Finder preferences?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The lack of file extension in the download file is a problem in the software you used to download it. If it was a browser, sometimes you can change the default settings and it helps. Otherwise, you have to set the file extension when you save the file. I bet the file extension was correct in the actual email, but the saving part just was messed up. I used to see this downloading some files in Windows, also, if it was a file extension Windows did not know about. Not Amazon's fault.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote