Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #1
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
Font confusion

What do you do when all the font variations are in one file, i.e., normal, bold, italic, etc.? So far that's the way all the fonts I'm interested in come.
JimmyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Cry in the corner...

A bit more seriously. In order to ensure that a font is used, also in case of bold/italic, you need 4 fonts: regular, bold, italic and bolditalic.
If you miss for example bold, the text in the bold will fall back to the device specific font. So far an ePUB is not capable of utilizing enclosed alternatives. For example smallcaps can be enclosed, but they will not be used.

I have not seen a single file enclosing regular,bold and italic. One font-family for sure, but not one file.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Cry in the corner...

A bit more seriously. In order to ensure that a font is used, also in case of bold/italic, you need 4 fonts: regular, bold, italic and bolditalic.
If you miss for example bold, the text in the bold will fall back to the device specific font. So far an ePUB is not capable of utilizing enclosed alternatives. For example smallcaps can be enclosed, but they will not be used.

I have not seen a single file enclosing regular,bold and italic. One font-family for sure, but not one file.
Okay. This is the only English Towne font file on my computer: http://www.1001fonts.com/english-towne-font.html. I tried embedding it on Sigil, and no matter what I did with @font-face, all it would display was italic. I can select it as a font in Open Office, and it will display regular, italic, bold, and bold/italic. So, all the variations have to be in that one file.

If someone could point me to an English Towne or Old English font with only the normal font in it, I would be very appreciative. I don't need the italic, bold, etc.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That font (the download) has 204 glyphs. They all look upright.

did you Embed into the book properly?
Did your @ fonts properly reference that file?

Did your CSS font-family call the same @ fonts font-family ?
If this fails, the CSS font-family fallback kicks in.
If there is no CSS fallback, The reading software kicks in (with a guess?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
Okay. This is the only English Towne font file on my computer: http://www.1001fonts.com/english-towne-font.html. I tried embedding it on Sigil, and no matter what I did with @font-face, all it would display was italic. I can select it as a font in Open Office, and it will display regular, italic, bold, and bold/italic. So, all the variations have to be in that one file.
Ah, but you are foiled here. In this case there is only 1 style. The fact that Open Office (or many other programs) will also seem to have the other styles, is because they are faking them. They artificially make it bold or italic etc.
Now, in an ePUB (or web) that is not possible. So, if you embed a font that is regular, there is no way you can show in italic it unless you also embed a font from the same family with that style.
Advert
Old 11-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
JimmyG
Zealot

Okay, so why did the test in Sigil display italic? There was only the one font.

Last edited by JimmyG; 11-14-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Can you show us such an example of Sigil?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #8
JimmyG
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Can you show us such an example of Sigil?
LOL! This is embarrassing. I did this Sigil test in a file I didn't bother to save. When I re-did it to show you, I made a bunch of mistakes in the css so that it wouldn't even show the font. When I got all the mistakes corrected, it showed the normal font!!! So, now I'm wondering what the heck I did to make it show italic??? But I'm not going to worry about it; it's free, and the designer himself said I was free to use it in ebooks, so I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Thanks for listening to a befuddled 'bookmaker.'