Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
Olta
Olta began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Question Calibre cannot remove deleted file on Kobo

Hello to all readers!
I tried to find answers for weeks before decided to bother people.
I still owe original Kobo and reading on it was fine up to the point when I started delete some books. Always transferred books with Calibre (btw-such a wonderful tool !). Now kobo does not see any books, only preloaded, but WE shows them on device. There is some previously deleted book, tried remove again, closed Calibre, reopened and it says 1 book, but cannot open it or del - error no 2.
Kobo shows 2 .txt files, also not able remove from device can't file book (pure ereader looking for something I deleted).
Please help! Do not know how I can find the rest of deleted book and remove it completely, may be after that new books will show up?
Big thanks to everyone for advice!
Olta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Sorry, I don't know what is happening here. If this was a newer Kobo device, I would think it was a corrupt database and suggest logging off the device and back on. This usually fixes problems like this. But, the description of the doesn't match. It would probably be a good idea to test the database. My Kobo utilities plugin has an option to do this. If it does show as corrupt, I think you will have to do a factory reset to fix it.

For sideloaded books, the Kobo devices process them into an internal database. When you delete them using the device, it deletes the database record and the file. When you delete from the device using calibre, it does the same. If something happens and the book is removed but the database entries are still there, the database entries disappear either when you try to open the book or do a restart of the device.

One of the problems with the processing of the books is that if there is a problem with one, it can prevent other books being processed. If you are seeing the processing screen when you try adding books and disconnecting, but they are not in the library, then this is probably the problem. If this is the case, the only thing you can do is remove all the sideloaded books that are not shown in the library on the device and add them in small batches. That should help find the book causing the problem.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Olta

Thanks for reply.
1) I tested the database from Calibre like you advised. I've got - ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseError</b>:database disk image is malformed
2) deleted all sideloaded books from Windows
3) performed factory(& paper clip reset) on device
result - nothing was changed. Calibre shows -
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\ .(..bunch of symbols..)\

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 621, in _view_book
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 701, in get_file
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\cli.py", line 38, in get_file
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\..(the same set of smbls..).txt'
Old 04-27-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olta View Post
Thanks for reply.
1) I tested the database from Calibre like you advised. I've got - ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DatabaseError</b>:database disk image is malformed
If you saw that error when attempting to do the test it means the database is corrupt enough that it wont be repairable. And it probably explains some o fthe things you are seeing.
Quote:
2) deleted all sideloaded books from Windows
That should have fixed things. It should have created a new database. It did take you through the device setup?
Quote:
result - nothing was changed. Calibre shows -

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\ .(..bunch of symbols..)\

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\..(the same set of smbls..).txt'
What were you doing when this happened? It looks like you were trying to open a book from the device list? Is this correct? If so, that means calibre was able to connect to the device and see the books on it.

Also, when posting an error message like this, please post the complete message. What is in (..bunch of symbols..)" might be important and help debug the problem.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
"Bunch of symbols" appears to be a redacted filename. Reasonable enough...
How important is it likely to be? The important part is that some file on the device goes there.

I usually put /media/Kindle/documents/somefile and /home/<username> for the same reason. Never stopped anyone from figuring out whats going on, though admittedly I was clearer about what I changed...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

That is probably correct. But, the error is that a file can't be found. Maybe there is something unusual about the file name that is causing the problem.

But, thinking about this:

Olta: Does that file exist on the device? Can you open it with Notepad? Of you copy the full file path and name, can you open that?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Olta

"database is corrupt enough that it wont be repairable "--is that means I need buy new e-reader?
I've got that msg when tried to open "FILE MISSING" that shows on list of books on dev. (101
= 100 preloaded + 1 that I tried to remove). I did calibre delete that file, ok, only 100 left , but after reopening calibre it shows up again.
"bunch of symbols" really symbols, not normal path, here is full msg:
calibre, version 1.32.0

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\\\xd0\x9b\xd1\x83\xd0\xba\xd1\x8c\xd1\x8f\xd0 \xbd\xd0\xb5\xd0\xbd\xd0\xba\xd0\xbe \xd0\xa1\xd0\xb5\xd1\x80\xd0\xb3\xd0\xb5\xd0\xb9 (\xd0\x90\xd0\xbd\xd1\x82\xd0\xbe\xd0\xbb\xd0\xbe\ xd0\xb3\xd0\xb8\xd1\x8f 1992-2007 FB2)\\\xd0\x94\xd0\xbe\xd0\xb7\xd0\xbe\xd1\x80\xd1 \x8b\\Lukyan26.txt'

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\\\xd0\x9b\xd1\x83\xd0\xba\xd1\x8c\xd1\x8f\xd0 \xbd\xd0\xb5\xd0\xbd\xd0\xba\xd0\xbe \xd0\xa1\xd0\xb5\xd1\x80\xd0\xb3\xd0\xb5\xd0\xb9 (\xd0\x90\xd0\xbd\xd1\x82\xd0\xbe\xd0\xbb\xd0\xbe\ xd0\xb3\xd0\xb8\xd1\x8f 1992-2007 FB2)\\\xd0\x94\xd0\xbe\xd0\xb7\xd0\xbe\xd1\x80\xd1 \x8b\\Lukyan26.txt'
I cannot find that txt file on device from computer(or do not know how).
That book was in .txt format which goes to Documents on device, right? At least it's not in the book list. I did not create Doc folder before, what place txt file can go?
Kobo has 2 the same names in Docs, can't open - no file.

E-RDR opens preloaded books, but after turned off/on opens book on the very first pg, not pg I stopped reading. Also can't "close" book after last pd. I guess all those things happened from corrupted DB.
Is that device really useless....? :-(((( I like it for its simplicity
May be it was virus in that book?
Old 04-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember David; this is NOT the WiFi model; it's the one BEFORE that!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
"database is corrupt enough that it wont be repairable "--is that means I need buy new e-reader?
Not unless that is what you want to do
Quote:
I've got that msg when tried to open "FILE MISSING" that shows on list of books on dev. (101
= 100 preloaded + 1 that I tried to remove). I did calibre delete that file, ok, only 100 left , but after reopening calibre it shows up again.
"bunch of symbols" really symbols, not normal path, here is full msg:
I have to agree with the diagnosis of "bunch of symbols". I don't know why it is showing the path like that.
Quote:
calibre, version 1.32.0

[Errno 2] No such file or directory: u'E:\\\xd0\x9b\xd1\x83\xd0\xba\xd1\x8c\xd1\x8f\xd0 \xbd\xd0\xb5\xd0\xbd\xd0\xba\xd0\xbe \xd0\xa1\xd0\xb5\xd1\x80\xd0\xb3\xd0\xb5\xd0\xb9 (\xd0\x90\xd0\xbd\xd1\x82\xd0\xbe\xd0\xbb\xd0\xbe\ xd0\xb3\xd0\xb8\xd1\x8f 1992-2007 FB2)\\\xd0\x94\xd0\xbe\xd0\xb7\xd0\xbe\xd1\x80\xd1 \x8b\\Lukyan26.txt'

I cannot find that txt file on device from computer(or do not know how).
That book was in .txt format which goes to Documents on device, right? At least it's not in the book list. I did not create Doc folder before, what place txt file can go?
Kobo has 2 the same names in Docs, can't open - no file.

E-RDR opens preloaded books, but after turned off/on opens book on the very first pg, not pg I stopped reading. Also can't "close" book after last pd. I guess all those things happened from corrupted DB.
Is that device really useless....? :-(((( I like it for its simplicity
May be it was virus in that book?
That tells me the database is corrupt. I don't know the original Kobo very well. I think you will need to do a factory reset to fix this. That should restore the factory firmware to the device and need you to do the set-up again. That should fix it. If you do the factory reset and it doesn't fix things, it probably means the device is failing and will need to be replaced.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I have never had a device where using the paperclip to restart the device actually performed a "Factory Reset". In order to attempt an actual Factory rest you may have to consult the manual. Often it is buried in the settings of the device.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #11
Olta

Guys, you missed it - I did factory reset (from Settings).
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Olta

have little question : does "koboreader.sqlite "file keep track of all-all books? Even deleted?
Old 04-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Guys, you missed it - I did factory reset (from Settings).
Yes, you did say that before. I had forgotten about it when I was writing my last reply.
Quote:
have little question : does "koboreader.sqlite "file keep track of all-all books? Even deleted?
The KoboReader.sqlite contains details of all books on the device. When a book is deleted, almost all references to it are removed from the device. The newer devices keep some references that are used to calculate reading stats. But, there is nothing that would be causing these issues. The original Kobo might be different, but it more likely that it will keep less info than the newer devices.

All the things you are reporting point to a corrupted database. If the factory reset did not fix this, or it reoccurred shortly afterwards, then it suggests another problem. The obvious one is that you aren't safely ejecting the device from the PC. This can cause database corruption if files on the device are still open. The next likely is that there is hardware problem. Some people have had the internal memory fail and that caused these type of problems. Most of the Kobo devices use an internal micro SD card. These can be replaced and a disk image copied to the new card to solve this. I don't know if the original Kobo has the card or not.

At this point, what I would try is another factory reset. Then I would put my books on the device manually and see if that worked. Or I would disable the KOBO driver in calibre and use "Save to disk" to put the books on the device. The reason to do this is to eliminate any chance that the driver is damaging the database. It shouldn't, but, we need to prove that. Then, use the device for a while. If you get problems like you describe (forgetting books, unable to delete them, losing reading position) while using it, then the problem is the device.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
At this point, what I would try is another factory reset. Then I would put my books on the device manually and see if that worked. Or I would disable the KOBO driver in calibre and use "Save to disk" to put the books on the device.
If the Kobo shows as a drive the Connect to folder option might be a good alternative to try out.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
If the Kobo shows as a drive the Connect to folder option might be a good alternative to try out.
Yes, that is a good way to do it if we don't sort out the other issues. The save to disk suggestion is a troubleshooting step.