Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #121
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Found here

Code:
en_AU                 Australia
en_BW                Botswana
en_CA                 Canada
en_GB                 Great Britain (should be UK, hmph!)
en_HK                 Hong Kong
en_IE                   Ireland
en_IN                   India
en_MT                 Malta
en_NZ                 New zealand
en_PH                 Phillipines 
en_SG                 Singapore
en_US                 United States
en_US_POSIX      U.S. POSIX
en_VI                   Virgin Islands
en_ZA                 South Africa
en_ZW                Zimbabwe
Thanks! I don't know why that site didn't come upon my Google search the day before. The couple I found didn't give the VI locale ...

And, yes, I'm sure there is a good reason somewhere, but en_GB makes no obvious sense.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #122
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Thanks! I don't know why that site didn't come upon my Google search the day before. The couple I found didn't give the VI locale ...

And, yes, I'm sure there is a good reason somewhere, but en_GB makes no obvious sense.
RFC5646 is used for allocating language codes.
In http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang...ubtag-registry

The IANA subtag "GB" is defined as :
Type: region
Subtag: GB
Description: United Kingdom
Added: 2005-10-16
Comments: as of 2006-03-29 GB no longer includes the Channel Islands and
Isle of Man; see GG, JE, IM

and Ukraine is :
Type: language
Subtag: uk
Description: Ukrainian
Suppress-Script: Cyrl

So I think that is probably the reason - uk means somewhere else entirely in the context of language codes, if not in the assignment of TLDs.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #123
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
In http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang...ubtag-registry

The IANA subtag "GB" is defined as :
Type: region
Subtag: GB
Description: United Kingdom
Comments: as of 2006-03-29 GB no longer includes the Channel Islands and
Isle of Man; see GG, JE, IM

and Ukraine is :
Type: language
Subtag: uk
Description: Ukrainian
Suppress-Script: Cyrl

So I think that is probably the reason - uk means somewhere else entirely in the context of language codes, if not in the assignment of TLDs.

BobC
I did think about the Ukraine yesterday, and then forgot I'd thought about it! Since there is an alternative to UK for these islands, the sense is there! Thanks, Bob!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #124
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
....snip....
RFC5646 and RFC1591 both adopted ISO 3166 (Codes for representaion of Coutries) and it's derivatives, and doing this makes sense certainly in terms of language. I believe the reason the UK TLD does not follow ISO 3166 is because .uk was already adopted and registered for DNS purposes. However, because .uk is now entrenched it does make variance from this schema look "odd" especially when language/keyboard/locale selection on computers* often talks in terms of "English (United Kingdom)" etc.

Whilst a technicality, my first thought was what setting do residents of Northern Ireland choose to adopt?

*less of an issue for standards compliant Linux users.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #125
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
RFC5646 and RFC1591 both adopted ISO 3166 (Codes for representaion of Coutries) and it's derivatives, and doing this makes sense certainly in terms of language. I believe the reason the UK TLD does not follow ISO 3166 is because .uk was already adopted and registered for DNS purposes. However, because .uk is now entrenched it does make variance from this schema look "odd" especially when language/keyboard/locale selection on computers* often talks in terms of "English (United Kingdom)" etc.

Whilst a technicality, my first thought was what setting do residents of Northern Ireland choose to adopt?

*less of an issue for standards compliant Linux users.
I really don't mind - it isn't so much that it looks odd, but it is inconsistent with most other uses. Most drop-down location list have "United Kingdom" but, every now and again, "Great Britain" is used, just to confuse!

Maybe in a few years time I'll have to use "Scotland" as the locale ...
Advert
Old 03-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #126
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Maybe in a few years time I'll have to use "Scotland" as the locale ...
I'm waiting for Wales to separate out as a locale...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:44 PM   #127
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think the Welsh are waiting to see how the Scottish experiment fares!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #128
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
...it isn't so much that it looks odd, but it is inconsistent with most other uses
Actually the point is, it is entirely consistent (compliant) with the official standard even though I take your point (and largely agree) that it doesn't fit with expectations.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 AM   #129
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
My God, are there enough pixels to fit the locale on the screen?
en_Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysi liogogogoch
Old 03-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #130
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Actually the point is, it is entirely consistent (compliant) with the official standard even though I take your point (and largely agree) that it doesn't fit with expectations.
Yes - I wasn't arguing with you. It is a bit like computer office packages* - there is the official standard, and there is what the user sees most often. The two do not always marry up to the point that the end-user thinks the standard is what is seen most often.

* I am referring to Microsoft and the Open Office standards, of course.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 AM   #131
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Yes - I wasn't arguing with you.
Gosh no-one actually argues on here, do they? I've only seen statements made with varying degrees of fervour
Old 03-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #132
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Gosh no-one actually argues on here, do they? I've only seen statements made with varying degrees of fervour
Really, I was agreeing with you - the drop-down menus of locations, though coming from a different starting point, are the problem. I've thought back, and until computers became ubiquitous, I don't think the term "UK/United Kingdom" was really used. Our nationality is British, the government is British etc. So, where did this UK nonsense come from? Don't bother answering - this is sufficiently off-topic (again!) - let's keep it a rhetorical question!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #133
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
So, where did this UK nonsense come from? Don't bother answering - this is sufficiently off-topic (again!) - let's keep it a rhetorical question!
Well the thread topic pertained to locales, which is what we were discussing!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 AM   #134
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #135
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Well the thread topic pertained to locales, which is what we were discussing!
True! I'm just hyper-alert after the digression into food