Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Add Your Own Dictionary

I love my Sony T1, and its touchscreen dictionary function has been really handing when reading older texts. It would be a really handy function to have when I (attempt to) read Irish language ebooks, but there's no Irish-English dictionary on the T1. Considering how obscure a language it is, it's unlikely to be preinstalled on any ereader, but I have found some free Irish-English dictionaries online in formats like DICT.

So, is there an eInk ereader with a touch-the-word look-up function that allows you install your own dictionaries?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Pocketbook 622 and Onyx 62 on the epub side, all the Kindles on the mobi side. In which format are the dictionaries you've found?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatgirl View Post
So, is there an eInk ereader with a touch-the-word look-up function that allows you install your own dictionaries?
Instead of buying a new reader, you could also root your T1 and install an alternative reader. e.g., CoolReader or FB Reader, which both support ColorDict and (other StarDict compatible dictionary apps).
You could then use PyGlossary to convert dictionaries in other formats to the StarDict format or create your own StarDict dictionary from a tab delimited text file. (PyGlossary also requires ActivePython 2.7.2 on a Windows machine.)
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Apologies for taking so long to update this thread! I had heard rumours that an Irish bookshop would be selling their own ereader (the Eason Leaf) and emailed them to ask if it would include an Irish-English dictionary... still no reply from them so I guess not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Pocketbook 622 and Onyx 62 on the epub side, all the Kindles on the mobi side. In which format are the dictionaries you've found?
Creating a compatible dictionary for the Pocketbook looks pretty tricky. Dunno if I'd be able to manage the morphems.txt file with my poor Irish :-( I might give it a whirl, though.
Hm, the Onyx 62 looks interesting. I'll keep looking into it!
The K5 Kindle Touch also might be an option, if those weird dictionary issues in previous Touch models have been resolved. Hmm...
I'd be getting my Irish-English dictionary from here, here or here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Instead of buying a new reader, you could also root your T1 and install an alternative reader. e.g., CoolReader or FB Reader, which both support ColorDict and (other StarDict compatible dictionary apps).
You could then use PyGlossary to convert dictionaries in other formats to the StarDict format or create your own StarDict dictionary from a tab delimited text file. (PyGlossary also requires ActivePython 2.7.2 on a Windows machine.)
I did initially consider rooting my T1, but by all accounts the T1/Coolreader-FBReader combo is a bit of a mess

Last edited by Hatgirl; 12-22-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What "weird dictionary issues" on the Kindle are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert