Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #1
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Kobo Glo, case issues

So, my Kindle battery is almost done so I have bought myself a shiny new Kobo Glo as well as a leather case from the Kobo concession in WHSmiths.

The device itself is fine and I can't see any dodgy pixels or problems with blotchy lighting overlay, so I'm happy with that.

The case, on the other hand, is the wrong size; the sales person said that the Glo is the same size as the touch and so the cases are the same but the one I bought ("Leather ereader case Touch Edition") is too big. The width is fine and the device sits fine in the bottom pocket but the case extends a good 20-25mm beyond where it needs to be. Did I pick the wrong case, is the Touch a different size or is the case just too big for both?

I'll take the case back later on (or tomorrow) but I want to sort out which one does fit before I go, in case I just need to order one from somewhere else online.

Regards

Jason
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #2
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WigglePig View Post
Did I pick the wrong case, is the Touch a different size or is the case just too big for both?
The correct one is called a sleepcover and the GLO is shorter so the Touch cover won't fit properly.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193534

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/s...er&pageSize=12

Last edited by mrmoo; 10-13-2012 at 08:25 AM.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
As mrmoo says, there are new covers designed especially for the Glo, but they don't seem to be available yet, at least not in the UK.

The salesperson in WH Smith is wrong, so they should just give you a refund. Though what you do in the meantime while waiting for the cases to be available here, I'm not sure.

There's not a huge difference between the two, but the Glo is a bit shorter, which is why the Touch cover isn't really suitable:

Glo: 114 x 157 x 10 mm
Touch: 114 X 165 x 10 mm
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
CatherineStewart
Mom, Wife, Reader!
CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CatherineStewart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura One
I'm using my old touch case until a case becomes available for the Glo (actually ordered a custom one from Etsy) and the touch case is doing the job for now but definitely does not fit proper. Maybe buy a cheap generic sleeve in the meantime just to keep it protected?
CatherineStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #5
The Cod Father
Enthusiast
The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.The Cod Father is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: KOBO. Kobo Aura
I noticed that most of the covers stated that they were Sleepcover cases . Is this a brand for them or something else
The Cod Father is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glow
No they have magnet in them so when you shut the cover the Glo goes to sleep
datalossfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
A Kobo Touch case could do in a pinch but is too big for the Glo. My Mum tried my Glo out in her KT case and the size difference seems to be totally in the height department. I bought a couple of cheap Neoprene sleeves which are universal to ebook readers/7" tablets until a suitable reasonably priced Kobo Glo case is released.

I pad the KG with a microfibre cloth and place into the sleeve. Will do until a more suitable, in my personal opinion, reasonably priced case becomes available.

Last edited by lioslaith; 10-13-2012 at 11:59 AM. Reason: replace I with A
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
tea2
Zealot
tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tea2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd ed, Kindle 2, iPad Mini 4, Aura One.
They're not available where I am in Canada yet either.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #9
WigglePig
%20ErrorParse$$#0fh%20
WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WigglePig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleKB (fixed battery!) and a new Kobo Glo!
Well, the chap in WHSmiths was a bit perplexed but refunded it with no quibbles.
I bought a Belkin K4 case from Staples for fairly cheap and it fits OK so that will do until the official cases come out here.

Now I'm looking forward to having a read tonight after I finish my year 7 reports!

Piggly
WigglePig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #10
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Where should the magnet be positioned in a case for the Kobo Glo to trigger the Glo light going off when the case is closed? How strong a magnet is needed? My quickie tests with the fridge magnets I had handy did nothing. (Yes, I have the settings feature selected that allows for cases to toggle the light on and of.) Thanks!
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #11
mrmoo
mrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura aboutmrmoo has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
Where should the magnet be positioned in a case for the Kobo Glo to trigger the Glo light going off when the case is closed? How strong a magnet is needed? My quickie tests with the fridge magnets I had handy did nothing. (Yes, I have the settings feature selected that allows for cases to toggle the light on and of.) Thanks!
Try the lower right corner, needs something stronger like a small neodymium magnet.
mrmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
The area just beneath the bottom-right corner of the screen works dandy for the trigger. Not sure how strong a magnet's needed without getting too strong, though - all I can tell you is that it's a rare earth magnet.

Update: I just used a regular fridge magnet from The Source at the bottom right corner of the screen to trigger on/off - as long as the magnet's left on there, it stays off. But the neodymium rare-earth magnet turned it off from about 4-5 cm above that area, so it's a decently sensitive.

Last edited by Haesslich; 10-13-2012 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Edited w/update
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
There is .3 of an inch difference in the Touch and the Glo height wise which I find makes the cases incompatible long term. I am getting by for now with a losely fitting Touch case but I would rather a better fit. Since the official Kobo Touch case is quite a bit larger than the device and it has pretty losely fitting elastics the Glo slips out of it way too easy and it's bulky to travel with. A half decent fridge magnet stuck into the pocket of the case where it meets the bottom right of the device has added the sleep function.

I really wish Kobo would have educated the sales staff at their partners about this. In my hunt for the sleep cover I have been told endless times that the Touch cases work fine for the Glo. I had to pull mine out and show them the difference.

At this point the Glo cases remain AWOL in Canada with no shipping date known. I have decided to order a cheap case from ebay that looks snug enough to do the job.
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #14
datalossfs
Ebook Addict
datalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura aboutdatalossfs has a spectacular aura about

I bought a generic case from a marketplace seller on Amazon.co.uk for £4.99 I will write a small review once I receive it however from the pictures it appears to fit the Glo just fine.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
datalossfs
Ebook Addict

Got my Generic Case, only issue is the top right band cover the power switch (I have long thin fingers so I can still reach the button to slide it on and off)