Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700

Review of the new tablet here. Summary below.

Quote:
Bottom Line

The Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 takes over from its predecessor as the top Android tablet available. You get high performance mixed with high style, and you don't have to make a lot of sacrifices to get both. Other tablets -- including the Prime, which is expected to drop in price once this model gets into the market -- may provide better value, but no other Android tablet will give you the full package that the Infinity does.
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I own the Transformer Prime an excellent device. What I've read from the reviews is that this is the Prime with all of the issues resolved(GPS doesn't work on my Prime but I really don't care for a GPS on a tablet) and a faster CPU and Higher resolution.

Definitely a good buy, I read on a different site that the price of the Prime will also be reduced.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
my wife has the Tf300 and enjoys it ALOT, ite elimenated the need for a laptop for all her medical conferences, we will be getting the TF700 in the future.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'm visiting the US and Canada in August and wondered whether it was worth picking one of these up while I'm there (if possible). I can do the research on the prices in the UK, just wondered if there are any compatibility issue I would need to be aware of?

Would it be a similar price in Canada as the US? We're only in Las Vegas for three days before going on to Canada.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Nice. Also nice that the tablet itself is going to cost $100 less than I expected. I was expecting to spend $750 ($600+$150) for tablet+dock but now, looks like I only need to spend $600 ($500+$100).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I'm visiting the US and Canada in August and wondered whether it was worth picking one of these up while I'm there (if possible). I can do the research on the prices in the UK, just wondered if there are any compatibility issue I would need to be aware of?

Would it be a similar price in Canada as the US? We're only in Las Vegas for three days before going on to Canada.
Might be a little less expensive in the US... Also, if I remember correctly there is no sales tax in Nevada, in Canada we generally have a 12-13% sales tax.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Might be a little less expensive in the US... Also, if I remember correctly there is no sales tax in Nevada, in Canada we generally have a 12-13% sales tax.
There's no sales tax on food (grocery). But, other items...it's 8%, or something like that. That's for Las Vegas/Clark County, anyhow.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
There's no sales tax on food (grocery). But, other items...it's 8%, or something like that. That's for Las Vegas/Clark County, anyhow.
Thanks to both of you for the info
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:21 AM   #9
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Almost makes me wish I hadn't bought a 300 last week, but I couldn't justify the extra $100-200 the 700 would cost.

BTW, sales tax is 10% here. I think it's 5% in Alberta? Still probably more expensive to buy here because electronics manufacturers normally load up the price maybe 10-20% compared to what Americans pay.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #10
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
asus

I bought a couple of tf201 tablets in february, and gave my wife one. My 1st gen ipad went to my sister. The asus is great, hardware very good and the keyboard is nice. But android is not as good as ios, and alot of apple apps are better.

So, I am getting an ipad 3 for reading. The asus is great for trips, but so is my ultrabook....the tablet is nice, but android still has a ways to go. The asus support for micro sd is great though, and mkes file transfers much easier.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #11
wgrimm
Addict
wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wgrimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
transformers

At least with the tf201, the keyboard is optional. It costs another $150. Then buy a case from gumdrop to protect the device, but you cannot use the keyboard while it is in the gumdrop. Nice device, high quality camera.
wgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #12
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I dropped by Best Buy and wandered into the tablet section. The Transformer Prime was lighter than I expected (the infinity is supposed to weigh the same). They still had a TF101, and that was about the weight I imagined. I've been looking exclusively at 7" tabs until a month or so ago, so weight matters.

The lower res prime seemed crisp enough with text that I wondered if I really even wanted an infinity. That said, I thought the Nook Tablet looked fine with text in the store until I got it home and started reading for extended periods with it. I think it's probably safer to err on the side of too many ppi.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #13
Edward M. Grant
Zealot
Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Edward M. Grant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Marseilles View Post
The lower res prime seemed crisp enough with text that I wondered if I really even wanted an infinity.
I believe the 300 has the same size screen as the Prime, and the text is pretty good; I've read several novels on it so far. A higher resolution would be an improvement, but I'm not sure whether it would be a $100-200 improvement.
Edward M. Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #14
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
There are often warranty issues when you buy something in one country and then need warranty services in another. You may want to check that part out before you make a purchase.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
I don't think it was mentioned but the Transformer Infinity TF700T is available now. I think it became available around the same time the Nexus 7 was released. I have the 32GB version on order from Amazon with a tentative delivery date in mid-August.

It appears to be in stock at B&M stores as well as a couple of online stores but I get higher rewards points if I purchase from Amazon.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote