Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Text still full justifying on iPad, even through style says align left

So I've been having this problem with my book, all of my titles, if the go more then one line, will fully justify on the iPad. Usually I just change the style to align:left, and that takes care of it. But I'm still having the problem on this book and I'm not sure why.

Here is my code:
Quote:
<p class="header">22. The Freeway Philharmonic</p>
<p class="BT-NoIndent">One of the San Francisco Bay Area’s great musical treasures is its freelance pool of classical musicians. Skilled, devoted, and often overworked, this group of some 400 instrumentalists provides the musical core of many of our region’s performing ensembles. ...
Quote:
p.header {
font-family : Times, serif;
font-size : 1.6em;
text-decoration : none;
font-variant : normal;
line-height : 1.42;
text-align: left;
color : #000000;
text-indent : 0px;
margin-bottom: 27px;
-webkit-hyphens:none;
adobe-text-layout: optimizeSpeed; <--! This is just to avoid hyphens on the Nook -->

}
And here is how it looks on the iPad:

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Is this using iBooks? Have you tried another ePub-reading app to see if it displays differently on it?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Actually I don't see anything wrong. The header is left aligned. The text isn't, but you didn't post the class BT-NoIndent. If you have a problem with the text, we will need the description of that class.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Actually I don't see anything wrong. The header is left aligned. The text isn't, but you didn't post the class BT-NoIndent. If you have a problem with the text, we will need the description of that class.
This is the code for the BT-NoIndent class:

Quote:
p.BT-NoIndent {
font-family : Times, serif;
font-weight : normal;
font-size : 1em;
line-height : 1.2;
text-align : left;
color : #000000;

}
Old 09-28-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Is this using iBooks? Have you tried another ePub-reading app to see if it displays differently on it?
Yes this is an ibooks only problem so far, I've tested it on the Nook and Kindle as well. But my company mainly proofs on the iPad, and we sell most of our books through apple, so I'd like to get this optimized for ibooks.
Advert
Old 09-28-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
Is it just the one book or are all your books on iBooks doing it? iBooks does have a "Full Justification" option in its settings page that will ignore alignment settings in the book but if it is just the one book than that wouldn't be your issue.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Is it just the one book or are all your books on iBooks doing it? iBooks does have a "Full Justification" option in its settings page that will ignore alignment settings in the book but if it is just the one book than that wouldn't be your issue.
its only this book. I've done several books with similar format, and this problem hasn't happened. I've even gone as far as to use all the header code from working books and paste it in this one, but the problem is still there.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
It could be a weird side-effect from some other CSS error, maybe. Have you tried running the source through a validator, to see if anything pops up?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #9
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Is there in the CSS perhaps a specific setting for justification of the p, html or body class? It could be, that iBooks does not do the inheritance quite well. If for example the p class is in the CSS setting the justification on, it should be overruled. However, it might be ignored for paragraphs.
I also seem to vaguely remember that you can do a setting to justify everything by default on the iBooks, in fact it is the default. Have you turned that off?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #10
SamL
I mess around with Epubs

Ah fixed it! Toxaris was right, in settings ibooks was set to full justification. Its weird I haven't run in to this until now though. Thanks for your help as always everyone.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Ah fixed it! Toxaris was right, in settings ibooks was set to full justification. Its weird I haven't run in to this until now though. Thanks for your help as always everyone.
That isn't a fix. I think you'll find a lot of people are in full justification and this needs to be solved set that way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:57 AM   #12
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
I know this is an ancient thread, but I've just had the same problem.

Using this style:

.poem {
text-align: left;
text-indent: 0;
margin-top: 1.4em;
}

If over a line, it is justified in iBooks (though left aligned in every other reader I've tried).

Is there a fix aside from "Change your preferences"?
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:20 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yeah, stop using iBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:24 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Gotta side with finding another app that allows full stylesheet compliance.
IMHO "We know better" just does not cut it
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote