Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Literati! I found my pdf books!

I was gnashing my teeth because I could not figure out a way to read my pdf files on my new Literati. It was cheap -- fifty bucks on sale at Kohl's -- but I was determined to make a go of it. The main point of buying this ereader was to rid myself of the disgusting habit of buying books. My goal for 2011 was to read at-will but not actually BUY any books.

The Literati was going to be a dedicated library-book reader.

Alas, the Literati that I purchased was a major pain in the b^tt. I could not find my books, I could only read EPUB books, I couldn't find my PDFs that I borrowed from the library ... what a pain!

This evening, I muttered to my husband that he should return the darned thing to Kohls tomorrow ... BUT ...

About fifteen minutes later I decided to fiddle with the tabs at the top of the Literati's "start" page. And it turns out that my library's PDF files were tucked away under the DOCUMENTS tab! Of course, there had been no reason to look for them there -- Why on earth would I look for books under "Documents" -- But it turns out that the Literati reads any Adobe PDFs sent there (via Adobe Digital Editions) as "Documents"!!!

So ... there are many reasons to ditch the Literati. It is not especially user-friendly, and it is certainly not very intuitive ...BUT!!! It can, indeed, read both EPUB and PDF documents (you just might have to look under a non-Books tab).

Hope this helps someone else!

Written after finishing two glasses of white Jeunesse, so please forgive typos.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Congrats!

I believe the Kobo (or nook?) does that also with PDF's. Fifty bucks for a device that does at least a decent, if not terrific, job of reading those formats seems like a good deal to me. I fear, however, that your habit of buying books won't vanish, just because you've switched from paper ... oh ... no ... temptations await in the e-realms ...
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #3
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Congrats! I saw your problems in the intro thread. Glad you found your books!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:09 AM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Congrats on getting your problem solved and for getting your reader for $50. They are now back up to $119 at Best Buy and unavailable at Kohl's. I should have ordered one the other day when they were $49 but I was waiting on a reply to a post to make the decision. Stupid me, I could have always returned it...
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:56 AM   #5
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
Well, WV Cherry -- There are an awful lot of people returning their Literati readers (or otherwise trying to unload them) ... Don't feel too bad! My original plan was to get this going for my elderly mother ... This one is so non-intuitive that there is no way she would ever be able to use it, so ... There are certainly better ones out there.
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
Well, WV Cherry -- There are an awful lot of people returning their Literati readers (or otherwise trying to unload them) ... Don't feel too bad! My original plan was to get this going for my elderly mother ... This one is so non-intuitive that there is no way she would ever be able to use it, so ... There are certainly better ones out there.
That does make me feel better.

I have a Kindle 3 for myself but I wanted to get a cheap second reader for the rest of my family to share since they are only occasional readers. Since I got my K3, I have seen lots of books come up as free promos that would interest them. I download and keep them in my Calibre collection until I get another reader for them. I am greedy with my Kindle.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm glad you got your Literati to work, and I'm glad that we are starting to see dedicated e-book readers for $50! If you do decide to get another e-book reader, perhaps you would get a better price selling your literati on e-bay than you would if you returned it. Also, Sony was recently offering a $75 coupon for people who recycled e-book readers at their store, perhaps you could try to find another offer like that.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
skessen
skessen began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Talking thanks 2u I found my PDFs

Great advice. Better than I got from Kobo Support....
skessen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, literati, pdf