Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
CW Review of 4 Android Tablets

Conclusion is that Galaxy Tab from Samsung is best choice....not sure I'd choose any of them myself at this point...

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...5&pageNumber=1
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Thanks for that Kenny, nice comparison. Since I'm not inclined for yet another spendy wireless data plan, the Archos 70 looks to be my choice. I just wish it had GPS and more RAM.

I keep hearing rumors that the Galaxy Tab will be coming out with a non-3G version for $400 at Best Buy.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm hoping for a multitude of new ones early next year.......I want one, but none that work for me yet.....

One thing I'm waiting on is Android 3.0....

My DroidX just got upgraded to 2.3 this morning....
Old 12-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
At the moment the galaxy if the only real choice for an Android tablet.

But at this point I'd hold off buying a tablet unless you need it now.

The rumors if the upcoming tablets, that are coming out in Feb. through April really leave these devices behind.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
. I just wish it had GPS a
I keep hearing rumors that the Galaxy Tab will be coming out with a non-3G version for $400 at Best Buy.
Right now best buy is selling a verizon galaxy tab for $499. The only condition if you have to have a data plan for at least a month. So it's really $519.

There are no reliable rumors of a WI-FI Tab. The only rumor was that a best buy ad had a feature indicating WI-FI.
There was also an ad that had the tab featuring super amoled and that is not the case.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #6
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
The NOOKcolor appears to make a pretty decent and reasonably priced WiFi tablet if you're willing to do some light hacking to root it and install or enable the portions of Android B&N locks out. Out of the box, or for the non-techy people, probably, not so much.

At half the price of a Galaxy Tab, I'm going to give it a try.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'm hoping for a multitude of new ones early next year.......I want one, but none that work for me yet.....

Lucky you! My carrier has not yet upgraded from 2.1!
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post
The NOOKcolor appears to make a pretty decent and reasonably priced WiFi tablet if you're willing to do some light hacking to root it and install or enable the portions of Android B&N locks out. Out of the box, or for the non-techy people, probably, not so much.

It's an easy hack. Requires a little maintenance though (blocking manual updates, re-rooting later when B&N updates it, etc. Good for a tech-familiar person, not so good for a family member. The xda folks have a vanilla alpha Froyo build up and running on it, so I'd bet in a few months we have a nice custom ROM on it.

I would have loved a Galaxy Tab. My wife likes the look of it too. But not for $500 or so.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #9
ebookrights1
Banned
ebookrights1 doesn't litterebookrights1 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay View Post

I concur. Now, if only B&N is willing to ship to oversea.

The Galaxy Tab is nice but an overkill and overpriced as a ebook device.
ebookrights1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

I think you mean 2.2 or 2.2.1 apart from nexus s no other device has got working version of 2.3 official or unofficial.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 AM   #11
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Yep, a lot of folks confuse the Android Version (2.2.1 on my Droid X) to the System Version, (2.3.340.MB810).
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I think you mean 2.2 or 2.2.1 apart from nexus s no other device has got working version of 2.3 official or unofficial.
Sorry, just checked, you're right....they had me confused....why do they do that...sheesh!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
At the moment the galaxy if the only real choice for an Android tablet.
Oh, Pbbfflliitt! The Pandigital Novel has nearly identical specs as the four profiled but at $115US (less than half the cheapest profiled device) it is a viable choice if you're willing to do an easy five minute hack as RoboRay mentions doing on the NOOKcolor.

You should know better than to make such a blanket statement.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #14
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
It's viable if you want an 800x600 display, 533 MHz processor, only 128MB RAM, and a resistive screen.

=X= is unfortunately right on this one, if you want a good full-blown Android tablet at this time. Having said that, the rooted NookColor is nothing to sneeze at...

Last edited by gtriever; 12-23-2010 at 11:39 AM.
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #15
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
Uh... the novel has an 800 MHz processor and 256MB RAM--at least the white one does. I'll give you the screen though. Video blows. I'm told GPU drivers were never compiled for it.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote