Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 PM   #61
flipkick
flipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enoughflipkick will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
The installation instructions and hints come now with some screenshots: http://flip.netzbeben.de/2010/11/duo...lish-gui-today

Ok, enough Duokan for today ^^ Happy testing!

Last edited by flipkick; 11-06-2010 at 04:41 PM.
flipkick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:52 PM   #62
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KindleDX,Kindle 4, Kindle Keyboard 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
== Question: does anyone know what the 3rd option is in the DK menu?
I don't think that it is an option. I think it says something like "yo momma". There is no way to select it...

I just used the option in the settings menu to restart in Kindle, which works perfectly.

Now if I can just get the wireless going, I might not go back to Kindle.

Sorry, I just did a restart and saw that there is indeed a 3rd option. And it does not say "yo momma". I'm afraid it might be the self-destruct button, placed there in case the authorities arrive while you are reading.... ?

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Just being a wiseass
montalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 06:25 PM   #63
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by montalex View Post
I don't think that it is an option. I think it says something like "yo momma". There is no way to select it...
I have not downloaded this english version ( just broke my arm, not in shape ) but - the 3rd line says something like default - which correspond to your setting in system menu.
You may have it timeout and default to either system. (This menu is one of the binary pages )

@Rinzwind: - sound like you have something wrong - perhaps tried to edit something ?
If you exceed some fixed string lengths, or some errors with linefeed/carriage return, it will try restart and if that does not help, it will default to original (Amazon) system.

( something may need recompilation. As it is gnu/linux, source should be available as the original system, I suppose. ) The interesting part would be to include different languages. In Chinese, the switch back and forth between different versions. A similar system could be switching from different language dictionary lookups, alphabets, pronounceiations, etc. It really has potential - if opensource.
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I can't figure out how to turn on 3G! I'm on Kindle2I
3G ain't gonna happen. When running alternate firmware, the device is no longer (for all intents and purposes) a "Kindle." Amazon isn't going to allow a non-kindle device to gain access to the internet (through its various proxies) via 3G. There's no sense trying.

WiFi internet access on the Kindle 3 should certainly be do-able, though.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #65
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

opensource - an English/Russian system is not likely to be developed by the Chinese. I base some of the idea on how they flip between traditional/simple Chinese, etc. (AFAIK)
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 06:42 PM   #66
FethryDuck
Addict

Wifi ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There are some scripts under their bin catalog that I have not had time to look into. Any idea what they do ?
Old 11-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #67
montalex
Fanatic
montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=FethryDuck;1202344]I have not downloaded this english version ( just broke my arm, not in shape ) but - the 3rd line says something like default - which correspond to your setting in system menu.
You may have it timeout and default to either system. (This menu is one of the binary pages )

There is a setting in the setting menu for Default reboot by Kindle, which can be turned on or off.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:55 PM   #68
avidworm
Enthusiast
avidworm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
3G ain't gonna happen. When running alternate firmware, the device is no longer (for all intents and purposes) a "Kindle." Amazon isn't going to allow a non-kindle device to gain access to the internet (through its various proxies) via 3G. There's no sense trying.

you are probably right(depending on how closed the driver for 3G module is?)

hence someway to switch from original kindle to duokan and back again (fast) would be great!
avidworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #69
montalex
Fanatic

The default font for my books after installing Duokan was HelveticaNeue LT Medium. When I change to a different font, then try to return to this one, it is not on the list of available fonts.
Old 11-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #70
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzwind View Post
And I played a bit with the fonts. Helvetica Neue LT 75 Kindle with CLEAR and SMALL seems to be best to me. What is anyone else his/her favourite?
I now have up to L. on the display btw.

Another one:
/DK_System/system/Profiles/FontInfo_yw.txt
Change 1st line "Duokan User" to your name and it will display it at the top.
I changed it to "Duokan - Wim"
Thanks for this tip, Rinzwind. I just put my name and phone number up there.

I, too, like the Helvetica font, but as I mentioned above, once I changed it, I couldn't get it back. Any suggestions?
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #71
zeroman9121
zeroman9121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hey guys i cant figure out why the firmware isnt installing for me. I added all three folders to the root, and since i have a K2 US i added its bin update to my root. Yet every time i hit update on my kindle it says that update has failed and restarts. I have no clue what i am doing wrong could use some help. THX.
zeroman9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 PM   #72
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroman9121 View Post
Hey guys i cant figure out why the firmware isnt installing for me. I added all three folders to the root, and since i have a K2 US i added its bin update to my root. Yet every time i hit update on my kindle it says that update has failed and restarts. I have no clue what i am doing wrong could use some help. THX.
Did you add the bin folder, or just the bin file within the folder? Sorry if that is a bit obvious, but it won't work with the folder.

Also, try the Kindle 2i bin. You may have an international Kindle. It won't work if it is not the right bin. No worries.

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:02 PM   #73
zeroman9121
zeroman9121 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
No i added just the file. I get to the update screen but at the point it tells me that the update failed and then it restarts.

Im beginning to wonder if my jailbreak is affecting it.

Im pretty sure its the US edition I checked the back and its B002 which i think is the US edition. Right?

Also the error i get in the bottom left hand corner is U007.

Last edited by zeroman9121; 11-06-2010 at 10:25 PM.
zeroman9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #74
montalex
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroman9121 View Post
No i added just the file. I get to the update screen but at the point it tells me that the update failed and then it restarts.
Try the Kindle 2i bin. Even if you bought it in the U.S., you probably have the international edition. It won't work if it isn't the right bin. If your serial number on the back begins in B003, then you have international.

Edit: Nevermind. You are right. B002 is the U.S. edition. I'd delete the files you copied over to Kindle root, and do the whole thing again. Maybe tomorrow someone who knows more that I do (not difficult) will come in and help. Sorry.

Last edited by montalex; 11-06-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #75
montalex
Fanatic

Zeroman, my friend says that you should restart your Kindle, then recopy the update and try it again.

that means a real restart, from menu/settings/menu/restart