Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 AM   #16
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
not in the Sony store, there isn't. It may theoretically exist but have you seen a new one on sale anywhere ?
the only one that google shopping finds is a Jap import on ebay. I suspect there is no european T3S
Um...yes I own one and have bought several for others. In Canada. They do exist and are readily available.

Best Buy Canada & Future Shop Canada sell both the one with the integrated cover and the one without. I don't personally like the one with the cover. I don't like the feel of it. The spine is not a full spine and when flipped to the back it goes askew which I hate.

And, the fact that they're sold without the cover at Best Buy Canada and Future Shop Canada was stated in the first post. Did you not read it?? If you had just done a Google or Bing search NOT this Google shopping nonsense you would have found the same info quite easily.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #17
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Interesting idea but what those ereaders will become if Sony doesn't update the firmware to render the new DRM scheme?
According to Sony, some books from Sony will not transfer to Kobo. Maybe it is worth removing the DRM to protect your investments.

Refer to http://goodereader.com/blog/e-book-n...-means-readers for more thoughts on this.
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:19 PM   #18
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
And, the fact that they're sold without the cover at Best Buy Canada and Future Shop Canada was stated in the first post. Did you not read it?? If you had just done a Google or Bing search NOT this Google shopping nonsense you would have found the same info quite easily.
Well if we must nit-pick, then actually I said

1. the T3 has ain integral case .That's a true statement, I said nothing about T3S in that post

2. I later said there was no T3S in the sony store - also true for Uk store

3. and later again "I suspect there's no European version ( of the T3S ).

yawn

So, did Canada join Europe while I was not looking

& as for google shopping - I don't program for google , it probably assumes that as I'm in the UK I'm not that interested in canadian stores - it got that right

feel free to continue the thread without my unwanted input.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-10-2014 at 12:28 PM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE
Interesting idea but what those ereaders will become if Sony doesn't update the firmware to render the new DRM scheme?
/QUOTE]

Well the new DRM , if implemented - will only be added to future books that you've not yet purchased.
Books that you already own, with the "old" DRM embedded, should continue to work just fine, unless ADOBE's idiocy is even worse than reported to-date.

It could be that , with hindsight, historians will say that Sony quit the epub reader market at exactly the right time, as Adobe seem hell bent on destroying it / handing 100% market share to Amazon's AZW book format

meanwhile, Google is your friend, Alf is your best friend
Old 02-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #20
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The T3S without case was originally available for sale in Germany for 99 euros when first released last fall. It's also available in Japan and Canada now. I do not know of it is has since been introduced in other European countries.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:46 PM   #21
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Personally? Neither of my Tx's are ADE activated. And I have plenty to read without it, including a TBR collection that will see me thru the next decade, probably.

If Kobo decides to upgrade the firmware, that's terrific. I think it unlikely, since they're a hardware vendor and ADE 3.0 would render present readers falsely obsolete, translating into possible Kobo sales.

I have a 350 for library books and ADE epubs, thru Overdrive and 3M Cloud. When the dust settles over 3.0, I'll pick up a used reader that works with my Libraries.
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I am tempted to buy a T3, but I just don't need it. There is still a 505 in use in my household and a spare for that too! Both still have decent battery life. My T2 and 350 still work fine. I also have 2 T1 spares which I cannot persuade my household to use instead of the 505s! My 950 died but the 900 still works - rotten luck! I also have the new Nook Glowlight and spare STR. I have never owned any Kobos.

These days my favorite eink reader is my Kindle Paperwhite 2. I also read a lot now on my iPad Mini with Retina. My new purchases are mostly on Amazon, and I have only bought a few EPUBs in the last year. I am a frequent borrower of library books which I mostly get in EPUB format so I read them on my T2, Nook or Overdrive iOS apps. I also have the option to borrow those books on my Kindle.

In summary I'm not too worried about all the changes happening. I have lots of options to keep reading my old EPUB purchases on spare eink devices or tablet apps. Basically the changes have pushed me towards the Amazon ecosystem rather than to another EPUB device.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
In summary I'm not too worried about all the changes happening. I have lots of options to keep reading my old EPUB purchases on spare eink devices or tablet apps. Basically the changes have pushed me towards the Amazon ecosystem rather than to another EPUB device.
Those are my leanings as well. I have a black T1 that I don't want to part with and a red T3 without the cover. I very much prefer the look and feel of the Sony devices as well as how the books are displayed compared to the Kindle but you just can't beat the stability of the Kindle.

Unless things drastically change, I will not be buying a Kobo.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #24
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Thanks for the optimistic words. My 650 is my back up ereader and I don't want to loose the ability to read on it by the end of the year.
Until things are crystal clear I can't see myself stocking up another ereader.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
Incorrect, there is a version without a case - the T3S.
If you read the manual, the "s" is described as limited edition only - seems to simply be a T3 without the integral cover, perhaps a few early models ?
I've just got my T3 for my Sony stable (!) and although 'tis early days, only just got it out of the box, I love it............ I find it has a very nice "heft" to it, almost like the 3/650 feel.

(UK, re: lights - Poundland do a really nifty white clip-on in their "technology" section (!), and at that price, I got 2 )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #26
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
If you read the manual, the "s" is described as limited edition only - seems to simply be a T3 without the integral cover, perhaps a few early models ?
I've just got my T3 for my Sony stable (!) and although 'tis early days, only just got it out of the box, I love it............ I find it has a very nice "heft" to it, almost like the 3/650 feel.

(UK, re: lights - Poundland do a really nifty white clip-on in their "technology" section (!), and at that price, I got 2 )

The Kobo Aura HD was/is marketed as a limited edition too.

And yes, I know exactly what a T3S is; I own one. And being as I bought it at a drug store (chemists), it didn't feel very "limited" to me.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:45 PM   #27
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
My first thought was to run out and get a T3 but I was concerned about exactly this. If sony doesn't put out an update(likely) and Alf doesn't come up with a crack(not very likely but possible) then my reader would be limited to past purchases or non drmd purchases which wouldn't work for me. So I'm hanging back my 650 is still going strong even though the battery doesn't last quite as long as when it was shiny and new
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #28
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
Still using my 505 from March 2008, battery life is still good, the only thing I care about is reading. I did purchase a refurbished T2 from eBay as a backup.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:53 AM   #29
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
My first thought was to run out and get a T3 but I was concerned about exactly this. If sony doesn't put out an update(likely) and Alf doesn't come up with a crack(not very likely but possible) then my reader would be limited to past purchases or non drmd purchases which wouldn't work for me. So I'm hanging back my 650 is still going strong even though the battery doesn't last quite as long as when it was shiny and new
it seems our fears may be premature:
http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/bl...up-your-books/

When it became obvious to Adobe resellers what was planned, a series of very hasty conversations took place, and Adobe India, being both smart and sane, rapidly walked back from the cliff. Adobe released a PR indicating that ACS4 systems would be supported indefinitely...
Old 02-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #30
sharphamster
Anathema Device
sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sharphamster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T3/350, Kobo AuraH20/Mini, Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
it seems our fears may be premature:
http://blogs.publishersweekly.com/bl...up-your-books/

When it became obvious to Adobe resellers what was planned, a series of very hasty conversations took place, and Adobe India, being both smart and sane, rapidly walked back from the cliff. Adobe released a PR indicating that ACS4 systems would be supported indefinitely...
Great find - that's the first bit of news about ACS5 that sounds good for old devices. Let's hope they stand by their 'supported indefinitely' statement.

I also checked my Aura HD, and while I use the Kobo desktop to sync purchased books, it is *not* ADE activated. So if they are applying their own DRM during sync, then Reader firmware might not even be an issue.

All Kobo might to do is update their desktop software to recognize Sony devices, and bypass Adobe IDs entirely.

And glad to hear you're pleased with your T3, cybmole. I also like the feel and weight of it. I don't like the sleep cover, however, but it's light enough that it's not bulky in the leather case I got for it.

I'm still using the first clip-on light I bought for my original Nook reader :] Don't ever die on me, Octovo light!
sharphamster is offline   Reply With Quote