Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 09-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
thehawk777
thehawk777 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony tablet, Kindle Touch
[Android App] Collections Not Created

I'm new to this forum - looks like a really good one so glad to be here.
I'm using the Android Sony Reader app and Calibre Companion to sync with Calibre. In the Sony plugin I've got "series, tags" set to create collections on the device, but they're not being created there. I have "metadata management" set to "automatic." Any suggestions?
thehawk777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehawk777 View Post
I'm new to this forum - looks like a really good one so glad to be here.
Welcome to Mobileread.

Quote:
I'm using the Android Sony Reader app and Calibre Companion to sync with Calibre. In the Sony plugin I've got "series, tags" set to create collections on the device, but they're not being created there. I have "metadata management" set to "automatic." Any suggestions?
The Sony plugin is for Sony devices only not for Android. There is no way currently that I know of for calibre to interface with and create collections within the Sony Reader App.

Calibre Companion (CC) has everything already in collections using tags, series, author, etc... I use CC to launch my books and choose the reader (Moon+ Reader Pro) I wish to use. When you long press a book in CC is the Sony App one of the options that pop up?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:03 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Last time I checked the Sony apps (iThing and Android) didn't support collections, that's only for their Reader devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
thehawk777

Thanks, DoctorOhh and AnemicOak, for your responses. I tried reading books from CC but it caused the Sony Reader app to freeze. So now I'm using Aldiko. It creates collections from tags, not series, but I can live with that. I haven't tried reading books through CC with Aldiko because of my Sony experience, but I will give it a try.
Thanks again, happy to be a part of this forum.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
thehawk777

Just noticed the following issue when I launched books from CC to Aldiko. The first time, it works and the book is added to the library, but after that when I try to launch it again, I get the message, "This document is already on your bookshelf."
Old 09-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, DoctorOhh and AnemicOak, for your responses. I tried reading books from CC but it caused the Sony Reader app to freeze. So now I'm using Aldiko. It creates collections from tags, not series, but I can live with that. I haven't tried reading books through CC with Aldiko because of my Sony experience, but I will give it a try.
Thanks again, happy to be a part of this forum.
I just tried the Sony app (horribly limited) it gave an error saying I didn't accept Sony's EULA. So I opened Sony separately, accepted the EULA and chose a store. Then it opened from CC fine. I find the Sony App too restrictive and could not find a setup comfortable enough for me to read from.

I use Moon+ Reader Pro which makes collections from Tag, Series and Authors, but with my on device library above 9000 the only way to navigate my books easily is by using CC.

From personal experience I have found that CC launches to Moon+ Reader, Aldiko, Cool Reader, FB Reader, and Mantano Reader. The fact that Sony gave you problems is a Sony error not a CC error. Once the book is handed off via the underlying android OS it is up to Sony to open it properly, which it does on my device.

Update: If the book is on Aldiko's bookshelf it doesn't like subsequent launches of books from any source, CC included.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-06-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I suspect that the OP is opening Adobe DRM-infested books, which is why he needs the Sony or Aldiko reader app. I don't know of any other reader app that supports Adobe DRM. Yet another reason to disinfect books.

I thought that one could read using aldiko without "importing" the book, but a) perhaps I am wrong, or b) perhaps it doesn't work with DRMed books.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I suspect that the OP is opening Adobe DRM-infested books, which is why he needs the Sony or Aldiko reader app. I don't know of any other reader app that supports Adobe DRM. Yet another reason to disinfect books.
A definite possibility. I clean the DRM from all of the books I purchase before they become part of my library.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
thehawk777

The files do not have DRM.
I've downloaded and tried the Moon+ Reader (not pro) and it seems to be working fine. "If the shoe fits . . ." But, just out of curiosity, does the fact that I'm having problems launching books from CC to both the Sony Reader and Aldiko suggest anything?
(The search within a book feature is sure buried in Moon+ -- took me quite a while to find it.)
Thanks again.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
The files do not have DRM.
I've downloaded and tried the Moon+ Reader (not pro) and it seems to be working fine. "If the shoe fits . . ." But, just out of curiosity, does the fact that I'm having problems launching books from CC to both the Sony Reader and Aldiko suggest anything?
(The search within a book feature is sure buried in Moon+ -- took me quite a while to find it.)
Thanks again.
Embedded Fonts that are obscured/encrypted , even though the book itself does not have DRM
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
But, just out of curiosity, does the fact that I'm having problems launching books from CC to both the Sony Reader and Aldiko suggest anything?
Why the sony reader works for DoctorOhh and not for you is a mystery.

Aldiko is probably working as it was designed. It believes that it is in charge of your library. It seems to be "auto-importing" any book that it is asked to open, then complaining when it is asked to "auto-import" the same book again. There might be a setting to stop that behavior, but as I don't use Aldiko I don't know.

From our (CC's) point of view, a well behaved reader will let the user read a book no matter how or how many times the reader is asked to open the book. Kindle for Android and, apparently, Aldiko don't play by these rules.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
thehawk777

Thanks Chaley. Yes, that's what Aldiko is doing. I notice that with Moon+ a book opened by CC is not imported (until you tell it do so).
Old 09-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
But, just out of curiosity, does the fact that I'm having problems launching books from CC to both the Sony Reader and Aldiko suggest anything?
It may tell me you are getting error messages from Sony and Aldiko that you aren't sharing with us. Like I stated above I had to jump through some Sony hoops to get it to work. And as indicated by conversations in this thread on the second attempt to launch a book in Aldiko (I obviously only tested a first attempt), Aldiko gives you a clear message stating the book is already on the shelve.

I don't think there is any mystery here. Once you jump through the EULA hoops and sign in Sony works fine. Aldiko restricts the epub association to importing to their bookshelf with no apparent way to change that.

Tags
android, collections, sony