Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: none
Lagging/odd behaviour

Hello there,
had the Glo now since launch and updated to the latest firmware (2.1.5r); have around 350 books on a 32gb sdcard.
Lagging/crashing issues improved greatly after the update to 2.1.5, but for the last week or so page turns slow down (to 2-3 seconds or longer) and the general responsiveness drops dramatically, even after opening a new file, especially pdfs. Sometimes selecting the next page opens the previous page after a few seconds, then the next page opens, then back to the first, then a few pages forward, then backwards and on.
These problems temporarily resolve (usually) after a paperclip reset.

Has anyone else had these issues?

Any news on a new firmware update?

Otherwise it's a great ereader!

Cheers.
rainio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #2
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It might be that the problems stem from having a relatively large number of ebooks on an external SDHC, or maybe you have a wonky ebook that you've loaded in the last week or so? Have you tried loading them into the internal memory and leaving the SDHC card out? I'm only asking because there have been similar problems reported with ebooks on SDHC with 2.1.5
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #3
rainio
Connoisseur
rainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciserainio juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Fair enough, but then they should limit the size of the SD card if there will be problems with a large amount of books.
I don't think 400 books is "huge". That's only taking up around 600 mb.
Using up the whole 32 gig card would correlate to 20 000 books(?).
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have had the page turn problem a lot on the Mini. Doesn't have an SD card. It actually seems worse since the update so I am hoping it is a firmware problem that will be fixed.

I don't put pdfs on, but a quick suggestion is to put a pdf on the main memory and see if it behaves any better.

I read in a Kobo review that fragmentation can cause slowdowns on SD card, but seems unlikely in your case.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I don't think 350 books is a lot either, the firmware should either allow whatever number can be stored by the file system, or the maximum number should be clearly stated! Part of the appeal of these devices is that you can have a virtual library at your fingertips. I believe they still have some bugs to track down, possibly this is an sqlite database related issue or some sort of memory leak or tasking related issue... who knows?

It may not even be a "Kobo problem" so much as a problem with a library or section of code they license. To be fair, anytime you work with outsider's code or modules, you may find circumstances where they fail under conditions the author never allowed for, but that you have imposed or may even require. Work-arounds can be difficult, especially if you don't possess the source code and have to submit examples back to them to get it fixed. By the way, this is all merely conjecture based on my own past experiences with outside libraries, multi-threading/multi-tasking and GUI interfaces, etc.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #6
rainio
Connoisseur

I think it occurs mainly on some files.
Sometimes, in addition to lagging behaviour (waiting 10 seconds for a response), if I press one location, the home button is highlighted, but nothing happens. THen I press again somewhere and the home button is de-selected, and nothing else happens. I press in one place and another area lights up.
So, so, annoying.