Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #46
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...removed...

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 11-21-2011 at 09:17 AM.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #47
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^Based on year of first publication, there were 5 Classic reads in the regular book club in 2010 and, including December this year, there will be 6 Classic reads in 2011. We don't need a third classic month, or even a second one to ensure we read th moldy oldies.
Don't take the bait HIMS, we've had the "too many vs too few" classics argument every month for at least the last 4 months if not longer. Club votes dictated that the general consensus was to keep things as they are. So here we are.

I thought that I would be skipping October (Horror) and December (Classic #2), while participating in November (Science Fiction), but the complete opposite has happened.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-21-2011 at 09:20 AM. Reason: "had" not "have", plus removed an unnecessary sentence.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #48
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

...removed...

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 11-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 AM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Oy. My comment was tongue in cheek. No baiting. A joke.

Lighten up?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #50
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

...removed...

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 11-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #51
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oy. My comment was tongue in cheek. No baiting. A joke.

Lighten up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
No, I knew it was tongue in cheek, but I thought better of going down that path.
Ditto. It is not hard to picture the joke turning into another full fledged conversation. We've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.

- - - - - -

Just 4 more nominations needed so we can get to voting.

Step right up ladies and gentlemen, you get 3 shots. Come one, come all to the Greatest Book Club on Earth!

Right off the bat I see that Sun Surfer and GA Russell have two more opportunities.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #52
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ditto. It is not hard to picture the joke turning into another full fledged conversation. We've been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.
Then, why not roll your eyes at a (bad) joke, chalk it up to my bad taste, and ignore it? Why initiate and perpetuate a conversation you claim you don't want to have? seriously, Nyssa! It would have been passed over and forgotten by now.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:08 AM   #53
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Then, why not roll your eyes at a (bad) joke, chalk it up to my bad taste, and ignore it? Why initiate and perpetuate a conversation you claim you don't want to have? seriously, Nyssa! It would have been passed over and forgotten by now.
To state that we've already had the conversation and to, hopefully, discourage its continuation. I'm sorry if you've chosen to take offense. You could do to take your own advice.

Anyway, I've made my 3 nominations, so I will see you all in the voting thread when its up.

Have a wonderful day!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:22 AM   #54
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I believe that Heart of Darkness should now be fully nominated with my 3rd of it, no? That makes 8 books fully nominated I do believe.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
To state that we've already had the conversation and to, hopefully, discourage its continuation. I'm sorry if you've chosen to take offense. You could do to take your own advice.

Anyway, I've made my 3 nominations, so I will see you all in the voting thread when its up.

Have a wonderful day!
Gotcha. Starting a conversation to discourage one.

I'm not offended, but that's the apology that isn't, so why say it?

Finally, I wasn't advising you so much as pointing out the disparity between your stated aims and your actions.

I honestly can't see how anyone could take my comment as anything other than a joke. My fault is that I didn't realize that the issue still rankled for some.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #56
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I believe that Heart of Darkness should now be fully nominated with my 3rd of it, no? That makes 8 books fully nominated I do believe.
The mods must've missed your vote, I think.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:49 AM   #57
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate Catch-22 by Joseph Heller.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:00 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I saw HarryT's post about a new omnibus edition, so it seems like a good time to start reading Sherlock Holmes.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Hey, it's my job. You're the one to be thanked, for jumping in and helping despite everything else you do behind the scenes around here.
Isn't part of your job here to remove books of pedophilia from the nominations?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I know! I think we need a third classics month.
I think we need NO classics months at all. Especially if some out here think a book of pedophilia is a classic. It's just a book of pedophilia and rape. Yes, you know how you are who helped give it three nods. I'm ashamed of the three of you. You should be ashamed of yourselves.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
book club, december, nominations