Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 08:54 PM   #31
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I nominate The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark.

Quote:
"A perfect book." -- Chicago Tribune

A short classic novel about an eccentric Edinburgh teacher who inspires cultlike reverence in her young students.

At the staid Marcia Blaine School for Girls, in Edinburgh, Scotland, teacher extraordinaire Miss Jean Brodie is unmistakably, and outspokenly, in her prime. She is passionate in the application of her unorthodox teaching methods, in her attraction to the married art master, Teddy Lloyd, in her affair with the bachelor music master, Gordon Lowther, and—most important—in her dedication to "her girls," the students she selects to be her crème de la crème. Fanatically devoted, each member of the Brodie set—Eunice, Jenny, Mary, Monica, Rose, and Sandy—is "famous for something," and Miss Brodie strives to bring out the best in each one. Determined to instill in them independence, passion, and ambition, Miss Brodie advises her girls, "Safety does not come first. Goodness, Truth, and Beauty come first. Follow me."

And they do. But one of them will betray her.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:24 PM   #32
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
I nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton. I read this when I was in high school and just loved how she captured opulent New York in the late 1800s.
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:28 PM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadata View Post
I nominate "The Age of Innocence" by Edith Wharton. I read this when I was in high school and just loved how she captured opulent New York in the late 1800s.
I will 2nd The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #34
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I nominate The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie by Muriel Spark.
Do you have a link to the book?

I wasn't able to find an ebook version.

Post #2 is updated to this point. Thanks, Tom for doing most of this.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:53 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will use my last nomination to 3rd The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 PM   #36
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
I'll third The Age of Innocence
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Do you have a link to the book?

I wasn't able to find an ebook version.
Yes, I forgot to check, and there is no ebook, so I will have to withdraw it.

In its place I will nominate The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie Summary and Study Guide which is available as an ebook and we will be able to get the gist of it anyway.

Spoiler:
Just kidding.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:41 PM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
...Thanks, Tom for doing most of this.
Hey, it's my job. You're the one to be thanked, for jumping in and helping despite everything else you do behind the scenes around here.

Quote:
Yes, I forgot to check, and there is no ebook, so I will have to withdraw it.

In its place I will nominate The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie Summary and Study Guide which is available as an ebook and we will be able to get the gist of it anyway.

Spoiler:
Just kidding.
You had me going!

Spoiler:
I actually started to out that in the post!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 AM   #39
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'll happily third Lady Chatterley's Lover. Some good selections here.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:58 AM   #40
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'll happily third Lady Chatterley's Lover. Some good selections here.
I know! I think we need a third classics month.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #41
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you sun surfer (and like Tom, I fell for your suggested change, too).

We now have 6 fully nominated books and post #1 and #2 have been update to this point.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #42
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I vote for Heart of Darkness.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #43
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Lolita is listed as one of Time's 10 Greatest Books Of All Time, #4 on Modern Library's Top 100 Novels and #27 on Le Monde's 100 Books Of The Century, among other accolades. I haven't read it yet but I think it's an important book well worth being read by mature individuals.

I will second Lolita.

Certainly if you don't feel that you are mature enough to handle it or if it offends your delicate sensibilities, you are welcome to skip it.
Such a forthright defense of Lolita deserves a third and that I now provide.

It's a shame about the Prime of Miss Jean Brodie. I have never read the book, but I recall the film well.

Jean, a tribute to Maggie Smith in her role as Miss Jean Brodie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I vote for Heart of Darkness.
I also years ago started reading Heart of Darkness, but for some reason at the time I put it aside and never picked it up again. I will use my final vote to provide the third nomination for this.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #44
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Dang, late to the nominiation party.

I'll nominate:
To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain
The Sound and the Fury, by William Faulkner
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:52 AM   #45
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I know! I think we need a third classics month.
I thought that was the purpose of Sun Surfer creating the Literary Book Club; so that every month was a Classic month?

Edit: I am surprised that of the 5 books in which I am interested, 4 have been fully nominated. I really didn't think I would be participating this month.

Of course, this is why I like this book club, its always full of surprises.

Last edited by Nyssa; 11-21-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Tags
book club, december, nominations