Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #91
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I did a reset with a paper clip and then plugged it into my computer again and now they are there. Thanks!

ETA: Does anyone know where you can get some decent magazine subscriptions for the Literati? Kobo doesn't have anything interesting.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:25 PM   #92
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
The only time I tried a straight file copy, it failed. I leave it to Calibre now.
I also only use the "send to device" on Calibre and have never had any problems with my Literati. I never thought to suggest this but now that you mention it, straight side-loading may be causing some problems for people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I did a reset with a paper clip and then plugged it into my computer again and now they are there. Thanks!
Glad to hear you got things straighted out!

Do you use Calibre? I think the above mentioned solution may have some merit.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:54 PM   #93
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post

Glad to hear you got things straighted out!

Do you use Calibre? I think the above mentioned solution may have some merit.
I'm embarrased to tell you that I have Calibre installed on my computer and I have played around with it several times, but frankly, I don't understand what it can do for me. I feel like I have entered all my books in several places and I'm puzzled about the advantages of entering them in Calibre as well. I'm not trying to be sassy, it's just that nobody has ever explained to me how it can benefit me. I hear people talk about changing meta data and all that, but nobody says why? What is the payoff as far as my reading library, if I use Calibre? I even posted this question on Kindleboards a while back, but nobody gave me any explanations that made sense to me. Can you explain it to me? Thanks
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:02 PM   #94
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I feel like I have entered all my books in several places and I'm puzzled about the advantages of entering them in Calibre as well.
For me, I don't have any other ebook organization software on my computer so all my books go into Calibre. There may very well be other software that handles all the formats in one place.

I use Calibre with plug-ins to strip the DRM on all the books I buy so that I can convert them to multiple formats. I also share books among my grown children so the DRM has to go to enable it to be put on multiple devices.

I download the metadata for all my books because I get so many freebies I could never remember what they were all about. I have a gazillion books now so it's nice to be able to bring up a list of a specific genre that I may be in the mood for just to see what I have.

Also, when I plug a reader into my computer, Calibre recognizes which one it is and puts check marks beside all the books that are already on there. I like that feature since I load up my daughters' ereaders too.

If you have any other questions about it, feel free to ask. I'm sure I'm leaving something out as my memory is horrid.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #95
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
I'm embarrased to tell you that I have Calibre installed on my computer and I have played around with it several times, but frankly, I don't understand what it can do for me. I feel like I have entered all my books in several places and I'm puzzled about the advantages of entering them in Calibre as well. I'm not trying to be sassy, it's just that nobody has ever explained to me how it can benefit me. I hear people talk about changing meta data and all that, but nobody says why? What is the payoff as far as my reading library, if I use Calibre? I even posted this question on Kindleboards a while back, but nobody gave me any explanations that made sense to me. Can you explain it to me? Thanks
I felt the exact same way the first time I tried Calibre (thankfully I tried it again). It seemed clunky, not very user friendly, and didn't really seem to do much for me. However, now that I have figured out how to use it (it does have a fairly steep learning curve), I use it primarily to convert books to whatever format I need them in, (since I have added the proper plugins) purge them of DRM, and occasionally to edit the metadata. I typically edit metadata on books that are public domain (don't have proper or full metadata) or books/news snipits that I put together myself.

Probably the biggest things I use it for are 1. converting books, and 2. stripping DRM from my (legal) books.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:44 AM   #96
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Device: Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. Pockets View Post
Probably the biggest things I use it for are 1. converting books, and 2. stripping DRM from my (legal) books.
I have converted some books to ePub or PDF but would like to know:

1. are you able to remove Topaz from Kindle books
2. is there a tutorial for plug-ins, or step by step instructions?
vjplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #97
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
I have converted some books to ePub or PDF but would like to know:

1. are you able to remove Topaz from Kindle books
2. is there a tutorial for plug-ins, or step by step instructions?

1. Yes, absolutely.
2. When you download the tools that contain the plug-ins, they each have their own readme file that contains instructions on how to install and configure each one.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:41 PM   #98
vjplo
Enthusiast
vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.vjplo is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
1. Yes, absolutely.
2. When you download the tools that contain the plug-ins, they each have their own readme file that contains instructions on how to install and configure each one.
I have a plugin and a blog with instructions for use and it will not remove topaz. I just tried again with no success. It drives me crazy that I spent the same amount of money as a Kindle owner, I've read the book on my PC, but I can't enjoy it on my Literati.

WOO HOO! I rechecked and redid successfully! My first Topaz is now on my reader. Thanks, wvcherrybomb, without your stating that it can be done I wouldn't have believed it enough to invest more time in trying.

Last edited by vjplo; 03-10-2011 at 08:56 PM. Reason: to report success
Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #99
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjplo View Post
WOO HOO! I rechecked and redid successfully! My first Topaz is now on my reader. Thanks, wvcherrybomb, without your stating that it can be done I wouldn't have believed it enough to invest more time in trying.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #100
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:

ETA: Does anyone know where you can get some decent magazine subscriptions for the Literati? Kobo doesn't have anything interesting.
I had the same issue once: books I loaded didn't appear. I did a hard restart (hold down the power button until it turns off and then restart. That made the books visible.
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:56 AM   #101
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Does anyone know where I can buy a new cover for my Literati? The tiny elastic at the top of the cover it came with is broken UGH!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #102
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Velcro is your friend.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #103
nwwoman
nwwoman began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Literati Problem Deleting Epubs

Having a heck of a time recently with my Literati. It was working fine since Christmas when I was gifted it. I've been reading epub books that I download from our public library. Now I can't delete the most recent expired four epub books. I just did a hard reset (back of reader) and then synced the library. That causes none of the books display on the screen -- but under settings, it says onboard storage is 35 mg of 210mb. So, to investigate this, I connect it to my Win7 desktop and open windows explorer/K drive/literati. There I see the four epub books; none are zero kb. I do the safe eject. Sometimes the epubs will reappear; other times they do not display. At all times, the onboard storage setting remains at 25 mg of 210 mg.

When I reconnect it to my PC and use adobe editions to view literati, I see the books once again. I hit delete on each book. I get a "failed" message. Each book's item info says it is expired.

Then I tried to move onto literati one new epub book. I get a message saying file not able to be copied -- i/o error.

Any ideas on how to fix this??
nwwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #104
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
When I 1st got my Literati I deleted ALL the Free books it came with! 6 weeks later the space they took up still says they are there! UGH!
So they dont make covers I can buy UGH!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:19 AM   #105
vjplo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
When I 1st got my Literati I deleted ALL the Free books it came with! 6 weeks later the space they took up still says they are there! UGH!
So they dont make covers I can buy UGH!
If you can't velcro it you may find something else that would work, though maybe not as well as the one that came with it.

I have my cover but carry it around in a DVD player/netbook bag that's a perfect fit. It's well padded, has extra pockets and has handles with shoulder strap options.