Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #46
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
If they are out of objective arguments every hardcore Apple freak gives one or two 'arguments':

- you all envy Apple (devices) because you don't own one or can't afford it
- there is a great conspiracy against Apple - it's so unfair (buhh)

Congratulation - you have just used the 'envy AND conspiracy' card
joblack, surely you know better then this by now....why are you still posting things like this? You know good and well I am not a "hardcore Apple freak". Why start with that nonsense? Really, think about it. All I said was the main reason this is talked about is because it is Apple. Isn't it true? Just like when Toyota had all the recalls it was in the mainstream news (just like the iPhone story)... if the auto recalls were happening to Renault, Lada or Gaz do you think there would have been wall to wall coverage? When Toshiba has a lame laptop, have you ever seen it featured on CNN or Fox news?

Stop with the knee-jerk "fanboy" crap and think....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #47
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
All I said was the main reason this is talked about is because it is Apple. Isn't it true? Just like when Toyota had all the recalls it was in the mainstream news (just like the iPhone story)... if the auto recalls were happening to Renault,
I have seen a similar media coverage about the Mercedes A class problem (at least in Europe).

I haven't seen any kind of proof about the special status Apple might have?

A not working connection is a major flaw. And a company like Apple with that (IMHO) arrogant behavior will get more media coverage. It's not different to BP - they have p***ed off a lot of people.

Plan and simple.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #48
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Quote:
I have seen a similar media coverage about the Mercedes A class problem (at least in Europe).

I haven't seen any kind of proof about the special status Apple might have?

A not working connection is a major flaw. And a company like Apple with that (IMHO) arrogant behavior will get more media coverage. It's not different to BP - they have p***ed off a lot of people.

Plan and simple.
We did not have the Mercedes coverage here in the states, but yes... the same kind of thing...

Don't know what you mean by "special status"? Apple is just very large and that draws attention (both good and bad).

Agree with you completely about Steve's arrogant behavior in this matter, and the media coverage. And while not exactly the same as BP, it is still a PR nightmare.

Thank you for responding to me as a person, and not labeling me and dismissing my viewpoint!
Old 07-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #49
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
You don't seem to know the difference between a blog entry and a scientific review/test.

A blog or web log shows personal statements (e.g. opinions) were a scientific test has more credibility.

To write "STFU" only because a personal blog isn't your opinion is out of line. Seen inn that light there is no real arguments against Consumer Reports.
I would absolutely agree if it was Jo Black’s private blog we were talking about here. But it was the blog of Consumer Reports. A blog isn't necessarily a private diary, it can just as well be an official communications channel. Just as a Twitter account doesn't need to be about what you had for dinner.

Additionally, the article was rather long. It wasn't some short thoughts about the issue, it was rather in-depth. Now maybe my reaction was a bit harsh, but I still feel this was rushed out and didn't help at all.

Quote:
To write "STFU" only because a personal blog isn't your opinion is out of line.
And again, you are missing the point. I didn't critizise CR because they had a different opinion than me (as I have clearly stated before, please read my posts), but because they — a magazine many people look up to — commented in-depth on an issue that they hadn't really examined before.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #50
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi 1080 View Post
I would absolutely agree if it was Jo Black’s private blog we were talking about here. But it was the blog of Consumer Reports. A blog isn't necessarily a private diary, it can just as well be an official communications channel. ... a magazine many people look up to — commented in-depth on an issue that they hadn't really examined before.
With the argument of the "official communications channel" you would have to be serious about all these arrogant nonsense Steve Jobs was writing from his email account.

Official E-Mail address from the company CEO ...
Old 07-14-2010, 03:14 PM   #51
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Official E-Mail address from the company CEO ...
i've gotten emails from santa@northpole.org. a lot of the recent emails have been called into question. please, don't believe everything you read in the internets.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:30 PM   #52
Bremen Cole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i've gotten emails from santa@northpole.org. a lot of the recent emails have been called into question. please, don't believe everything you read in the internets.
lol... ain't that the truth.......... My wife got on some political email list, and it's amazing the emails she gets. Bill Clinton, George W Bush.... you name it.... all email her .... funny how they all want money.....
Old 07-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #53
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
lol... ain't that the truth.......... My wife got on some political email list, and it's amazing the emails she gets. Bill Clinton, George W Bush.... you name it.... all email her .... funny how they all want money.....
If you write an email to Steven Jobs and a little bit later you get an answer it's obvious. And you can check the email header for more clues about the authenticity.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #54
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Doesn't Santa and the Northpole have it's own top domain - .np?

Old 07-14-2010, 05:05 PM   #55
Bremen Cole
Wizard

I don't know why exactly, but I found this funny.... and it is on topic....well...sort of...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/14/c...-the-iphone-4/
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #56
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
I don't know why exactly, but I found this funny.... and it is on topic....well...sort of...

I can't read stories about that guy without picturing cartwheels:

http://technologizer.com/2009/07/16/...t-commercials/

Quote:
I did cartwheels down the hallway. At first I said, “Is this a joke? Who are you?” Not understanding what an opportunity. And so we’re just going to keep running them and running them and running them.
(in fact, MS stopped running that series soon after)
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #57
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
If you write an email to Steven Jobs and a little bit later you get an answer it's obvious. And you can check the email header for more clues about the authenticity.
yes. because we know headers can't be faked either. lol. ehlo apple.com, may i help you?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #58
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:

If I were tied to Microsoft, I would shut up about Vista. That piece of crap.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-14-2010 at 06:04 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #59
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
yes. because we know headers can't be faked either. lol. ehlo apple.com, may i help you?
Most of the emails from Steve Jobs are confirmed.

For instance the one he wrote the user should hold the Iphone differently.

Anyway, that's not the point. The point is that of course a blog entry (or an official email) has not the same credibility as a scientific review.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #60
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
If I were tied to Microsoft, I would shut up about Vista. That piece of crap.
At least you get an (Internet) connection with Vista

Tags
antenna, consumer reports, iphone, recommendation, signal