Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2018, 02:53 AM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptedcypher View Post
and without access to kterm (or a serial port putty connection), there was no way to delete the ads.
Special Offers can be removed by contacting Customer Services and asking. They may ask you to pay a small fee.

If you post details about how to remove Special Offers in any other way on MobileRead, you will be suspended or banned.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #17
encryptedcypher
encryptedcypher began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Special Offers can be removed by contacting Customer Services and asking. They may ask you to pay a small fee.

If you post details about how to remove Special Offers in any other way on MobileRead, you will be suspended or banned.
It seems odd that this website fully supports the idea that your Kindle is your device and that you should be able to do what you want with it (thus the need for a jailbreak), yet you reject the notion of deleting unwanted ads off of your Kindle.

However I will respect this odd rule. Keep in mind that if people are smart enough to attempt a jailbreak, they are likely smart enough to research how to remove the ads too. All you are really doing is supporting censorship!
encryptedcypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2018, 10:03 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by encryptedcypher View Post
It seems odd that this website fully supports the idea that your Kindle is your device and that you should be able to do what you want with it (thus the need for a jailbreak), yet you reject the notion of deleting unwanted ads off of your Kindle.

However I will respect this odd rule. Keep in mind that if people are smart enough to attempt a jailbreak, they are likely smart enough to research how to remove the ads too. All you are really doing is supporting censorship!
No, your guessing, since you did not read the policy statement.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=180113

(Well read at least the first two lines of the first post, the ones in bright red letters.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-21-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: added direct link to the thread
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Cheesesteak
Cheesesteak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindke Paperwhite 3
It's a wink wink nudge nudge sorta thing, don't think too hard about it. Of course, being free to do what you want with the hardware you own comes first, this is just a basic human right, just don't get us all in trouble and ruin the scene while doing it. If Amazon says enough is enough this whole website goes away through the pressure of infinite resources backing endless litigation, even if Amazon is objectively wrong.

At least, that's just how I see it. I'm probably wrong.
Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
Cheesesteak

Also, I just had Special Offers removed from my Kindle for free. I never even asked for them to do it, I just asked them how to do it, and when they mentioned the fee I said that I didn't wish to pay the fee at this time, and asked for a link to do it myself in the future. They removed the ads anyway at no charge.

I was willing to pay but was worried because multiple credit cards were on my account and I wanted it to be a specific one. But they just did it anyway, no direct asking needed.

https://pastebin.com/s2YrE7jx

EDIT:

Apologies for the double-post, I'm just used to systems where posts auto-merge.

Last edited by Cheesesteak; 04-25-2018 at 08:47 PM.
Advert
Old 04-26-2018, 04:48 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak View Post
It's a wink wink nudge nudge sorta thing
No. We're quite serious about not encouraging people to rip off Amazon.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 AM   #22
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Also, I just had Special Offers removed from my Kindle for free.
It's quite common for Amazon Kindle support to remove Special Offers for free for customers that ask about it. But I'm guessing that there's some combination of time you've had the device and how good a customer you are.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:43 AM   #23
Cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's quite common for Amazon Kindle support to remove Special Offers for free for customers that ask about it. But I'm guessing that there's some combination of time you've had the device and how good a customer you are.
Had the Kindle for a couple of months, but been an Amazon Prime customer for several years. If that means anything.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:00 AM   #24
eldavo
eldavo began at the beginning.

Device: pw3 G090G1
Golden strategy to remove special offers is to create an US account and say the ads are not working (when I click the button nothing happens). When they ask you where do you live, say you're in the US. They will remove them even if you never bought anything with that account.

EDIT: Reset the kindle, and log in with the US account, don't just do it on your PC
eldavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #25
dsjstc
dsjstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is this an appropriate place to ask about success reports doing the serial jailbreak on 5.9.6.1?

I've got all the fiddly bits ready to go, but don't want to bother soldering if it's not going to work anyhow; the filename of the linked "K5 Jailbreak" makes it appear that it tops out at 5.4.4.2.
dsjstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #26
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The "5.4.4.2" is documentation of what version the thread/posts were based on, not a limitation.
The directions remain the same for all touchscreen (firmware 5.x) models with the exception of the two Kindle Oasis models (no serial port has been identified).
Old 07-13-2018, 11:00 PM   #27
dsjstc
dsjstc began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The "5.4.4.2" is documentation of what version the thread/posts were based on, not a limitation.
Awesomesauce. Was confused by what appeared to be a version range, will proceed!
dsjstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #28
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Is there any progress being made on a potential software jailbreak, or is waiting for such a thing futile? I'm unsure if I should wait a few months for a possible breakthrough or try to get my hands dirty and risk physically damaging my unit.

In other words, what's the state of Kindle software jailbreaking? Dead in the water, or is there hope?
Did you ever get an answer? I would like to jailbreak my Kindle, but I will have to wait until it's available for 5.9.6.1.
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #29
knc1
Going Viral

It is futile to wait.

This is such a common question, answered an innumerable number of times and this forum supports several different search utilities.

Now that I have had to answer this question one more time, your punishment is to answer "No" to the next 20 people, all too lazy to look up the answer for themselves.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #30
knc1
Going Viral

Tags
5.9.4, jailbreak, kindle, paperwhite, pw3