Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #1
sindhus
Member Retired
sindhus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite (PW3)
Installed KUAL but extensions not visible?

hello!

Thanks for having such detailed guides on jailbreaking kindle. I have successfully jailbroken mine and installed KUAL. I am able to open the launcher but I see that it can't find any extensions despite the fact that the directory structure looks like this:

➜ Kindle pwd
/Volumes/Kindle
➜ Kindle tree -L 1 .
├── developer
├── documents
├── extensions
├── file.ser
├── main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
├── mkk
├── rp
├── system
├── version.ser
└── voice

7 directories, 3 files
➜ Kindle cd extensions
➜ extensions ls
KUAL.cfg koreader kual-helper-0.5.N
➜ extensions tree -L 1 .
├── KUAL.cfg
├── koreader
└── kual-helper-0.5.N

2 directories, 1 file
➜ extensions tree -L 2 .
├── KUAL.cfg
├── koreader
│** ├── extensions
│** └── koreader
└── kual-helper-0.5.N
├── ChangeLog.txt
├── VERSION
└── extensions

5 directories, 3 files

What am I doing wrong here?
Thanks!
sindhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Nice report -
and you can save yourself some trouble by wrapping the output of "tree" in php tags.
I know, that sounds strange, but it is the way this forum software works.

You can delete the: "main-htmlviewer.tar.gz" file, that is the actual JB that you don't need any longer since its contents has been installed within the system files (that you can't see from USB storage).

Which KUAL is this?
Your PW3 will run either the Kindlet or the Booklet - and they can both be installed at the same time.
The Kindlet (a document) by coping to /documents The Booklet by installing with MrPI.
Both (or either) should have created a /mrinstaller top level directory.

Can you find the KUAL (document or booklet or both) on the main screen and just not see the menu extensions?
Or can you not find KUAL itself on the main page (with your other documents)?

Review the Step #8 information in that step's spoiler.

Last edited by knc1; 09-19-2016 at 09:59 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 01:29 AM   #3
sindhus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Nice report -
and you can save yourself some trouble by wrapping the output of "tree" in php tags.
I know, that sounds strange, but it is the way this forum software works.
Right, sorry will use the CODE tag here after.

Quote:
You can delete the: "main-htmlviewer.tar.gz" file, that is the actual JB that you don't need any longer since its contents has been installed within the system files (that you can't see from USB storage).
Right yeah I knew this, I was too lazy to do it

Quote:
Which KUAL is this?
Your PW3 will run either the Kindlet or the Booklet - and they can both be installed at the same time.
The Kindlet (a document) by coping to /documents The Booklet by installing with MrPI.
Both (or either) should have created a /mrinstaller top level directory.
I followed KUAL installation instructions from here. Specifically this part:

Quote:
Finally, you need to install KUAL itself, by putting the appropriate azw2 file somewhere in the documents/ directory tree of your device.
First, unpack the KUAL-v2.7.zip archive attached to this post. Then, if your device runs on FW 5.x, use the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file. If your device is older, use the KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 file.
I used the *.azw2 file as I am running Kindle firmware v5.7.2.

Quote:
Can you find the KUAL (document or booklet or both) on the main screen and just not see the menu extensions?
Or can you not find KUAL itself on the main page (with your other documents)?
I am unable to get KUAL.azw2 book to find extensions listed under extensions dir. As you can see from this tree output, I have KOreader and KUAL-helper extension dirs:

Code:
➜ Kindle cd extensions 
➜ extensions ls
KUAL.cfg koreader kual-helper-0.5.N
➜ extensions tree -L 1 .
├── KUAL.cfg
├── koreader
└── kual-helper-0.5.N

2 directories, 1 file
➜ extensions tree -L 2 .
├── KUAL.cfg
├── koreader
│** ├── extensions
│** └── koreader
└── kual-helper-0.5.N
├── ChangeLog.txt
├── VERSION
└── extensions

5 directories, 3 files
Old 09-20-2016, 01:51 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

PHP not CODE tag

5.7.2 is greater than 5.1.2

Is that factory or customer 5.7.2?

You still haven't shown the path to the KUAL document nor any of the contents of /document.

Bring up KUAL and post the contents of the information line at the bottom of the screen.

You still are not showing /mrpackages
It should be at the top level, next to the other top level directories, like /documents.

Please show the full path and 1st level contents of /extensions.

Note that you have been showing two "extensions" directories, make sure your looking at and reporting the correct one.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:53 AM   #5
lucida
Enthusiast
lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.lucida 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: PW3
It's not visible because you put it in wrong directory.

For KOreader, put everything to top folder instead of "extensions"
lucida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2016, 01:21 AM   #6
sindhus
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
It's not visible because you put it in wrong directory.

For KOreader, put everything to top folder instead of "extensions"
Thanks! That worked. The instructions in the KUAL installation page are not very clear. The tar balls/zip folders extract contents into a extensions dir within the name of the package and so one must transfer whatever is in name_of_package/extensions/* to extensions/ on Kindle.

For KOReader:

1. name_of_package/extensions/* to extensions/ on Kindle
2. name_of_package/koreader/must go to root of Kindle
Old 09-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Nope.
You are seeing your choice of unzip tool and unzip tool options trying to be helpful.
There are warnings about that in the documentation (of nearly everything here).

If you where the only or the first to use KOreader, you might be correct.
But in this case, this advice applies:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...45835691837744

Last edited by knc1; 09-21-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:59 AM   #8
sindhus
Member Retired

Quote:
You are seeing your choice of unzip tool and unzip tool options trying to be helpful.
What?

Quote:
If you where the only or the first to use KOreader, you might be correct.
But in this case, this advice applies:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...45835691837744
[/QUOTE]

Yes only KOReader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Nope.
I am not sure I quite like the tone of that. I only reported back what seemed to work for me.
Old 09-23-2016, 03:18 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindhus View Post
- - -
I am not sure I quite like the tone of that.
I only reported back what seemed to work for me.
How about this version? :

No, that is not what fixed it.
That is only compensating for earlier mistakes in reading and following the directions.

It just happens that sometimes PEBCAK + PEBCAK == something that works.

Last edited by knc1; 09-23-2016 at 03:22 AM.

Tags
koreader, kual, pw3