Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Inconsistent Sleep Mode and Forgetful Progress Settings

Hello,

I have a Paperwhite 3 that is serving me admirably. But nothing's perfect and I have two issues that are nits and nags, rather than showstopping problems.

[1] I have a financially-modest (yeah, your interpretation of CHEAP is correct) cover shell for the PW3. Does a great job and I've put some velcro on the back to attach it to my organizer when I go out and about. BUT, closing the shell doesn't always work in putting the Kindle into sleep mode without the backlighting. I reckon it works maybe half the time. I then open and close it until it demonstrates success by having the small sliver of light along the long edge wink out. But there are times I don't have time to play Peekaboo and I just close it and move on. To the detriment (I assume) of my battery life on that charge.

IS there something I can or should do about this, beyond the obvious purchase of a higher end shell or use the power button itself?

[2] The setting for progress that I prefer is Pages Left in Chapter. Or it might be minutes. The PW3 is in another room while I'm doing this posting on the spur of the moment whim. Whatever, the fact is that every third or fourth reading session requires me to goto the settings and renew my preference, since I don't want Time left in Book or nothing, which the erratic Kindle seems to pick randomly as my choice.

IS there anything I should look for in making my preferences actually stick?

Lastly, the fact is that I download all my books from Amazon to my computer and load them from there. I've been running in Airline mode since day one. I've been doing this ever since the 1984 issue. I get backup copies of the book PLUS, I can have versions if the book is something that gets updated (maybe 1 in a hundred books have that happen, in my experience with my purchases).

Thanks in advance for any help. GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
2) Your're probably changing the progress indicator by accidentally touching the bottom left corner of Kindle screen, which on every tap goes through Location/Page/Time left in chapter/Time left in book/None cycle. It can happen when you want to go to previous page or swype up from the bottom edge or try to highlight a word near the progress indicator.

I also have PW3 and the indicator never changed on it's own (just as it never skipped more than 1 page at the time).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
On the first part,
Just put the kindle to sleep before closing.
Now how I remedied the problem on my tablet was I had my husband turn my smart case into a stupid case by removing its brain (magnet).
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #4
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Putting the Kindle to sleep before closing the case may not always work--if the PW's case doesn't always stay closed properly, it may come slightly open when not in use which would have the effect of turning on the Kindle when not intended. Unfortunately, the e-ink Kindles have no way of turning off the "smart cover feature". My suggestion, other than springing for a new cover that stays closed better would be to use a rubber band along the outside edge of the case to hold it more firmly closed--might not be the most attractive method, but definitely cheap!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:27 AM   #5
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Thanks all that pitched in to help. I'm still slightly befuddled by the second issue as I'm fairly positive that I'm not touching the lower left very often. I tend to use the Kindle one-handed and it's the right hand that I prefer. That said, I'm on the watch for it and I appreciate the pointer to what might become the issue. It would be nice to have some way to make a preference mistake proof.

As for the cover issue, I'm really learning towards getting rid of the magnet and handling sleep with the power button. It's what I did with previous Kindles, so going back is not a bad idea.

Thanks for all the help. GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
As for the cover issue, I'm really learning towards getting rid of the magnet and handling sleep with the power button. It's what I did with previous Kindles, so going back is not a bad idea.
I'd say personally that you have a strong argument for returning your case as defective if the sleep magnet isn't properly positioned on it. It's not something I could live with myself - I'd either return it on get a replacement case which operates the sleep facility reliably.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
[removed inaccurate statement ]

Last edited by tomsem; 03-02-2016 at 01:50 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw3, settings, sleep