Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #61
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
The geekmaster kindle video player works great on the Paperwhite:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177455

The increased resolution leaves a white border above and to the right of the 800x600 video. The Paperwhite cannot play sound (yet), so gmplay is already "Paperwhite ready".

Enjoy!

[I posted this to both threads that the offsite pages link to.]
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:53 AM   #62
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
usbnet for Paperwhite

IMPORTANT EDIT: This entire post was obviously only caused by a huge misunderstanding on my part. Much of it was pointless, and so the attachment is also removed. The original text of the post can still be found below.

Since the usbnetwork package seems to have been incorporated in this thread now (which is OK), here's a new version that was actually repackaged for all K5 and PW models (the one in the first post is for Kindle Touch only, which may cause rather large confusion, because the JB is for the Touch and PW, and the thread states that as well).

@NiLuJe: feel free to take this file and attach it to the first post, I'll then remove it from here.

@PW owners: this is actually untested on the PW (simple: I don't have one), so please try it out (at your own risk though!) and PLEASE REPORT BACK whether it really works on the Paperwhite. I can only assume that it does, but so far I could only verify it to work on my K5.

PS/off-topic: we really need to find some clear nomenclature. Both the PW and and Touch are (Firmware-wise) "K5", but their HW is different enough so that some software stuff may work on one, but not the other. Therefore, I reverted to using "Touch" instead of "K5" to disambiguate what I'm talking about.

Any thoughts? I'd personally be fine with something like "K5T" and "K5P", but I'm not sure if that would fit everyone.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #63
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
KPW & (K5T or K5) works for me.

Thanks for the file
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #64
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
I like K5T and K5P, just like we already have K4B and K4S (even though they are exactly the same)
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #65
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Any thoughts? I'd personally be fine with something like "K5T" and "K5P", but I'm not sure if that would fit everyone.
KT and KP.

Even in Kindletool.

(Come on, even Amazon had abandoned numbers in naming. K4 is useful for distiction between K1 and K4 (wihch are both Kindles) and K3 could be kept in historical purposes without introducing of KK.)
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #66
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@NiLuJe: feel free to take this file and attach it to the first post, I'll then remove it from here.
It sure reads as if he thought he had updated the attachment:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=49

Must have updated with the wrong file or the upload failed (I have had that happen to myself at this site).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #67
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ixtab/knc1: Yup, the one attached in the first post is already repacked for the K5 + PW, with proper progress handling for FW 5.x in the install scripts, and no extra OS X extattr files . (and is what GM installed) .

As for the nomenclature, agreed, and I like PW (or KPW) .

(I messed up in KindleTool, should have called the device pw instead of kpw, to follow what was done with the dx... Will probably ninja-fix it by accepting both, and documenting only one...).

EDIT: Cf. this post.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #68
dinkus
dinkus began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
jailbroke paperwhite with no prob (sweet!), simple_usbnet from first post didn't work with usb (did with wifi) but usbnet_1.2 from above post does work over usb + wifi w/paperwhite.

so what do I have to do to get yifanlu's lockscreen.png / use last page read as screensaver working on paperwhite?

thanks!
dinkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #69
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@dinkus: PEBKAC. The payload from both usbnet packages is identical. The only thing different are the install scripts.

Code:
58cfb8cd3ae096a3cf05cbf3aa63cccd  usbnet_1.2/update_usbnet_1.2_install/usbnetwork.sh
58cfb8cd3ae096a3cf05cbf3aa63cccd  kindle-simple_usbnet-1.1/update_simple_usbnet_1.1_install/usbnetwork.sh

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #70
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@ixtab/knc1: Yup, the one attached in the first post is already repacked for the K5 + PW, with proper progress handling for FW 5.x in the install scripts, and no extra OS X extattr files . (and is what GM installed) .
Just for testing, I downloaded it and ran the uninstaller on my PW. UYK/restart/spinner/progress bar...

More progress bar... (impatient)

I did not notice any normal UYK status screens...

Plug in USB cable / USB Drive mode. Remove cable/search/";un"/plug in USB cable/USB drive mode -- so it is confirmed that USBNet is removed. The uninstaller worked. Now to test the installer...

Copy installer to USB Drive/unplug cable/UYK... Now I saw the typical update screens (success). Preboot spinner/framework progress bar/impatience/home page. Plug in cable/USB drive/unplug/search ";un"/plug in USB cable (no USB Drive)/start usb0 on host PC/ssh in/root pw=fiona2bc (from pastebin main root)/root shell achieved.

Success report (again). It works on the Paperwhite.

EDIT: I see that dinkus hit his Save button on his post before I did on this one...

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-07-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #71
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@geekmaster: Thanks for the double check .
Old 10-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #72
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
@dinkus: PEBKAC. The payload from both usbnet packages is identical. The only thing different are the install scripts.

Code:
58cfb8cd3ae096a3cf05cbf3aa63cccd  usbnet_1.2/update_usbnet_1.2_install/usbnetwork.sh
58cfb8cd3ae096a3cf05cbf3aa63cccd  kindle-simple_usbnet-1.1/update_simple_usbnet_1.1_install/usbnetwork.sh
HUH?

This doesn't really make sense to me either, but maybe my script, for some metaphysical reasons, really works better than yours, you frog eater... huh?

(Ben... ou peut-être tu préfererais les escargots? - les deux me vont bien, autant que les fruits de mer )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #73
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - -
EDIT: Cf. this post.
From the past two days, it seems to me we should standardize on a progress meter also.

My suggestion is an animation of the graphic on this product:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/90bc/

Alternately, as a non-animated graphic, this can be used to indicate the relative release state of package versions.
Just change the percentage as appropriate for the package being posted.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #74
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@ixtab: Okay, that was maybe a bit cryptic without the commandline ^^. That's the output from md5sum on the one script that handles the magic in the usbnet package, to confirm that we were both using the same one .

And BTW, I'm a terrible French stereotype: don't like wine, don't like frog legs, don't like snails, and am not terribly fond of shellfish... . Also don't own a beret. I do love bread though, so, there's that at least .

On a sidenote, I see you managed to build KindleTool on your system . Glad to know the 'buildsystem' isn't just working for me .

@knc1: And... don't like beer either. I know, I know... .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-07-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #75
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
From the past two days, it seems to me we should standardize on a progress meter also.

My suggestion is an animation of the graphic on this product:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/90bc/

Alternately, as a non-animated graphic, this can be used to indicate the relative release state of package versions.
Just change the percentage as appropriate for the package being posted.
Nice concept, but their glass clearly needs calibration. The 26% does not match the progress bar size, but it is close (about 20% completion I think). Obviously completion = empty mug...

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch