Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-10-2018, 08:07 AM   #1486
petercz1
petercz1 began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
KNC1 - what's with the snotty response?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You got your instructions form ereader-palace, get your help from them.

We can not be expected to support every site in the world that posts something on the subject of "Kindle". It just isn't possible.
I'm trying to help debug a specific plugin called 'collections manager' - not 'kindle' - have you blundered in from another thread?

If you can help, let's hear it. If you can't, let's hear silence, maybe?
petercz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:24 AM   #1487
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercz1 View Post
I'm trying to help debug a specific plugin called 'collections manager' - not 'kindle' - have you blundered in from another thread?

If you can help, let's hear it. If you can't, let's hear silence, maybe?
No quite.
You want us to debug the instructions published on ereader-palace that you followed. That is the job of the ereader-palace support people, not us.

You want help with our instructions, then use our instructions.

If you want to fix your problem, I am sure it is within your own ability to fix it, IF you start by reading the first post of this thread, followed by package instructions, followed by additional reading as indicated.

(I think you will discover that it isn't intended to work on your combination of hardware/firmware. )
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #1488
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@petercz1: FW 5.4.4.2 *might* be supported. 5.4.4/5.4.4.1, *maybe* not.

Everything is terrible, as is explained in the first post.

If you can adapt your workflow, LibrarianSync is slightly less at the whims of Amazon's fuckery.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 08:22 PM   #1489
petercz1

@NiLuJe - thanks for the decent response!

Excellent tip - I thought that FW 5.4.4 on my kindle was just missing the final digit ie it is not 5.4.4.(0/1/2) (for anyone else trying to figure out this stuff)

I'll track down 5.4.4.2 and try that, Also LibrarianSync looks like a good option if it will work on a PW1. Will investigate and report back yes/no to help others.

Cheers!
Old 11-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #1490
petercz1

@NiLuJe - you are the man!

Whoop! It works a treat with FW 5.4.4.2

I can confirm ereader-palace instructions are correct when using 5.4.4.2.

For anyone else who struggled with getting a PW1 downgraded and CM working, here's the link to ereader-palace instructions:

https://www.ereader-palace.com/jailb...2012%EF%BC%89/

... and here's the link to FW 5.4.4.2:

http://david.smidovi.eu/kindle/firmware-updates/

Cheers.
Advert
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #1491
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This was a textbook example of why third party documentation is generally terrible, for all parties involved.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2018 at 11:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #1492
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Case in point:

* Let's start with the most obvious, because it's a good one: you don't even need to downgrade a PW1 to JB it, the EOL FW is likely to be vulnerable to BD's JB.

* You don't need to roam the internet to get an old production FW release: just go to the Amazon Kindle Software Update Page for your device, get the link of the latest FW, tweak the version in the link: voilà!

* Every time you see someone bundling content they've not created, run like the wind: it's at best utterly outdated, at worst might do unspeakable things to you or your system.
I'll assume it's simply outdated here, which is still highly problematic, as the bridge has since seen numerous updates to deal with later FWs properly, or even just current annex content.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2018 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:14 AM   #1493
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Writing good documentation is *hard*, even when you know what you're talking about.

There's a big difference between writing "here's how you do it" and "here's how I do it": the former takes on the harsh mantle of documentation, so it better be damn fucking good, while the latter is simply a story. Everyone loves a good story, it doesn't have to be particularly accurate, or keep being even in the ballpark of accurate a few months later . You just have to realize that's what it is.

And, this should go without mention, but anything that doesn't even mention its sources is to be avoided like the plague.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #1494
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercz1 View Post
@NiLuJe - you are the man!

Whoop! It works a treat with FW 5.4.4.2

I can confirm ereader-palace instructions are correct when using 5.4.4.2.

For anyone else who struggled with getting a PW1 downgraded and CM working, here's the link to ereader-palace instructions:

https://www.ereader-palace.com/jailb...2012%EF%BC%89/

... and here's the link to FW 5.4.4.2:

http://david.smidovi.eu/kindle/firmware-updates/

Cheers.
Look at the index page for this forum (one bread-crumb back from here).
Find the Title: Collections Manager (you got that, since your reading this).
Note at the right hand side of the "Title" column, a small, blue box.
Click the box.
A window will open which lists the attachments to this thread (151 of them as of today).
Scroll through the special packages of CM for one described as working on the version of firmware and version of hardware you are interested in, download that one.

Why this funky organization?
The author is long gone and firmware/hardware combinations are being provided by people other than the author as special case attachments.

PS: There is no way in hell you are going to find all of those special case CM builds on ereader-palace. They are about 150 builds behind the times.

And I second NiLuJe's note - always get your original firmware packages from the Amazon server.

PS: There was a URL path change early in the 5.x series of firmware, but they are still available.
Older ones at the older URL path, newer ones at the newer URL path, and a bit of browsing here will find you the text of both forms of the download pathname.

Last edited by knc1; 11-11-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 AM   #1495
petercz1

Crickey. And we could have saved a lot of oxygen by just saying 'try 5.4.4.2 instead of 5.4.4'...
Old 02-27-2019, 04:35 PM   #1496
cd2013
Connoisseur
cd2013 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G
Does the plugin work only on DRM-free books, or also with DRM-protected books bought from the Amazon store? With these, I understand Calibre cannot read them because they are protected, but can Calibre still read the titles, tag the books and use the tags to create collection on the jailbroken Kindle?

I searched the thread for "DRM" and "sideloaded" but didn't find an answer.
cd2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #1497
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
Any chance of this being updated to support jailbroken PW4 on firmware 5.10.1.3?
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #1498
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by brofeelgood View Post
Any chance of this being updated to support jailbroken PW4 on firmware 5.10.1.3?
Unlikely.
Unless you are volunteering.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 AM   #1499
brofeelgood
brofeelgood began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT, PW3, PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Unlikely.
Unless you are volunteering.
Would that I could. Unfortunately, I don't possess any expertise beyond following explicit instructions to perform simple tasks like a jailbreak. Losing CM is a real blow, but thankfully we still have LS around.

Thanks for the clarification.
brofeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:57 PM   #1500
2/3
2/3 began at the beginning.

I'm stuck in a tight position trying to refresh my Kindle PW1, which I've been using for the past seven years.

All this time I was very comfortable with Collections Manager, but now I can't get it to work on a newer FW. I tried a few recent releases from ADambi, but on 5.4.4.2 it works incorrectly, and on 5.4.4 it crashes with an error banner.

Is there a way to make Collections Manager fly on the 5.4.4.x, or this is just impossible?
2/3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks