Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
How do I access the opt/amazon/ebook/lib and bin from diags mode? can not "see" it

Last edited by diba; 04-17-2012 at 01:47 PM.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #17
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Last edited by diba; 04-16-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #18
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
ixtab, how do I access the opt/amazon/ebook/lib and bin from diags mode? can not "see" it
mnt /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/mmc
cd /mnt/mmc/opt/amazon/ebook/

geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #19
diba
Addict

THX Geekmaster, I had to go back to 5.0, after copying the the Jailbreak and restart stuck again "under the tree". Have to give it another try today. Good thing about, I learn a lot ...

Probably to make it clear .."under the tree" is that I am stuck at the screen with the tree, bricked ...

Last edited by diba; 04-17-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #20
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by diba View Post
restart stuck again "under the tree".
Sometimes, using mfgtool with "Kindle main" profile solves this problem temporarily at least ( until it restarts again.)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #21
diba
Addict

To make it more clear. The KT starts the first "round" and I am on 5.0. Everythings fine. But if I do a restart from the "new" 5.0 I get stuck. I give a factory reset a try .., as mentioned, I actually learn a lot. Not LINUX and no programming stuff, but using all the tools available.

Without Geekmaster and some german hints from ixtag, I would have used other tools already, i.e. a hammer.

THX thomass, but whats the reason, if it "comes back"?

Last edited by diba; 04-17-2012 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #22
diba
Addict

ixtab, ready to go for the next version. Hope it will work as smooth as the first one. Not keen on the same procedure as with the second one. Even if I learned how to solve even this brick!
Old 04-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Hmmm... I'm currently a bit short on time, but if there is one thing that I can assure you with 99.9% of confidence: it wasn't this hack.

There is some odd behavior of the device which I need to take a closer look at (as I noted above: /mnt/us doesn't even (necessarily) seem to be mounted when the framework starts), but this entire thing is as failsafe as I could make it. I took all the precautions that I could to prevent this from crashing, let alone permanently bricking the device. If something goes wrong, this hack detects it and stops mucking around before anything serious happens. (*)

That said, anybody else willing to give it a try? (It may not become active on the first run for the abovementioned reason, but restarting the framework manually ["restart framework" or "killall cvm"]) will trigger it.

(*) That said, there is always that 0.1% chance which I'm not categorically excluding. If this hack really screws up things, I'll be delighted to get some logs / stack traces.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #24
diba
Addict

Hi ixtab,
good you are back, at least for some comments.

Could it be I should have restarted the Touch before replacing the 1st version with the second one? I think about and give it a second try!
As I said, the first version worked perfectly and I have full confidence in your work.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #25
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just modified this to take into account the errors that I have previously experienced. Please see the first post for updated information. DO read the README carefully, because I have again changed some naming conventions (hopefully for the last time now).

That said, I'd be very interested in some feedback. Does it work, does it not? Do the sample patches do what they are supposed to do?

And most importantly: does anyone have proposals for other patches? We can totally control the entire Java-based part of the Kindles now -- is that really an achievement that noone cares about?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM   #26
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... We can totally control the entire Java-based part of the Kindles now -- is that really an achievement that noone cares about?
I care about it. A lot. Thank you. I just have not gotten around to using it yet. The low level "bit bashing" has been consuming my spare time lately. I want an eink GUI that can be launched from MfgTool.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-29-2012 at 07:46 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
tvjohn
Connoisseur
tvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of lighttvjohn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 3, K4NT
Just installed 1.0.1 on a factory installed 5.1.0, & on reboot have same message as diba.

My mac says says the drive wasn't unplugged properly & won't mount the Kindle, & the RNDIS gadget doesn't see the Kindle either.

Any ideas please folks?
tvjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #28
ixtab
(offline)

F*ck. I'm honestly completely dumbstruck as to why this would be causing bricks. I simply don't see where it even has the potential to brick a device (especially in the way that you mention)

I guess that your only option is to go the hard way, with mfgtool and all: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

Is there actually anyone (except me) for whom this doesn't cause a brick? I'm seriously wondering if it's just me, or if my instructions are so misunderstandable, or... I dunno

@diba: Are you willing to give this another try?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
diba
Addict

I installed it today in the afternoon and 1.0.1 worked as expected! No problems this time, THX ixtab.
Most time took getting TTS working again. 5 times copying around different tts folders, I had on my PC.

Reporting back was just on my schedule ;-)

Funny coincident ...

Last edited by diba; 04-30-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
ixtab
(offline)

Thanks for the feedback.

I have also tried to reproduce it, by rebooting my device 5 times in a row and actually hoping that something would go wrong. But everything keeps working.

So really the only problem that crosses my mind that could have the potential to actually screw up functionality is the configuration file itself (/opt/amazon/ebook/bin/init.xargs). If this file is "wrong", it could potentially make the framework go weird. So just for completeness, here is how that file *should* look after the edit:

Code:
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.basedir=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.jars=file:/opt/amazon/ebook/lib
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.enabled=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.log.level=4
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.debug.classloading=true
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.storage=/var/local/java
-Dch.ethz.iks.concierge.strictStartup=true
-Dcom.amazon.kindle.util.log.logLevel=info

-istart jbpatch.jar
-istart portability-impl.jar
-istart kaf.jar
-istart KindletSystemPlugins-2.1.jar
-istart AudibleHandler.jar
-istart ACXToDoHandler.jar
@tvjohn: did your edited file look like this? (I know you probably can't access it right now, so "from memory" is ok). Also, how did you edit that file? Directly on the device using vi or similar, or by copying it back and forth? If the latter, could it be that you used Mac line endings instead of Unix ones while saving?

Last edited by ixtab; 04-30-2012 at 01:24 PM.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks