Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2016, 07:52 AM   #1831
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontehai View Post
PW2 edit as previous post of sprite7. Top and bottom margin are OK. But it is not work for left and right margins.
Left/right margin values are cached. Just change "words per line" in Aa menu to one of the other two options and then switch it back to the first one. That should trigger the change.
You only need to do it once after first reboot following the jar edit/replacement.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 01:43 AM   #1832
hontehai
hontehai began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thank alot for your proposal. I have do it but seem no effect. Only top and bottom is working. FW 5.6.5 PW2
hontehai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #1833
gocho8
gocho8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (5.8.5 JB)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
No reports here on that question.

Follow the "JBpatch - continued" thread for new work.
Thanks for the info
gocho8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:59 AM   #1834
JotaCe
JotaCe doesn't litterJotaCe doesn't litter

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3
Hello. This is just to report my conclusions testing the margins hack (jar edition) in PW1 6.5.1.1, in case they could be useful for someone in the future:

The tests have been made following the guides by sprite7 in this post. Some new points to remark:
  • The PW1 6.5.1.1 firmware has two entries for "fonts.wordsperline.margin.list". The first time it appears is this:
    Spoiler:
    ldc_w "font.wordsperline.margin.list"
    aastore
    dup
    iconst_3
    newarray atype:int
    iconst_1
    dup
    pop2
    dup
    iconst_0
    ldc_w 50.939998626708984
    invokestatic int com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources.ReaderRe sources_es.pixVal(float)
    iastore
    dup
    iconst_1
    dup_x2
    ldc_w 33.959999084472656
    invokestatic int com.amazon.ebook.booklet.reader.resources.ReaderRe sources_es.pixVal(float)
    iastore
    dup
    iconst_2
    ldc_w 16.979999542236328

And the second time it appears is this one:
    Spoiler:
    aastore
    dup
    iconst_3
    newarray atype:int
    iconst_1
    dup
    pop2
    dup
    iconst_0
    sipush 150
    iastore
    dup
    iconst_1
    dup_x2
    bipush 100
    iastore
    dup
    iconst_2
    bipush 50
    iastore
    aastore
    aastore
    dup

Editing the first group has no effect. The second one (values 50-100-150), is the right one. Editing both apparently makes no difference with editing just the second.
  • In addition to the editions referenced by sprite7 in the guide mentioned above, I have also tried to modify the entries "reader.content.leftMargin" and "reader.content.rightMargin", to see if they make any difference in the result. They don't.
  • Be careful about editing the value of "font.wordsperline.default". I changed it from 30 to 10 just to try, and that bricked my kindle! (I was lucky and could fix it).

My conclusions after those tests, once you edit the jar file, are following:

1. In mobi books (old version, KF7), you can set the new margin but it is reverted to the default one (the small default one, 50 pt or close) every time you turn the page.

2. In azw3 books (or mobi new version, KF8), if you set the new margins, they survive the page turn, but they don't survive a return to the home page. Once you change the book, or even without opening a new book but exiting the book you are reading to the home page, when you go back to read the margins are lost and the default (small one) is set.

That is, in azw3 you must set the margins for each book, which is more or less acceptable. In mobi, you must do it for each page, which is "a little bothering"

When the margins are "automatically resetted" by the kindle, they are the same as shown in the home menu, view list. Maybe the key could be to modify also those, but I haven't tried. I just mention it here in case it could be helpful for someone in the future.

I hope this info could be useful, although the results are a bit disappointing.

Last edited by JotaCe; 05-18-2017 at 08:06 AM.
JotaCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 02:51 AM   #1835
Elendiar
Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle PW3
KPW3 5.8.9.2 margin hack works, but...

Worked hack, but only in book, not in "swipe up menu".
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170616_093505.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	157336
Can someone give additional info what to edit to fix this ?

Last edited by Elendiar; 06-16-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Elendiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #1836
aizykr8
aizykr8 began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 3
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 on firmware 5.8.9.2 and can't for the life of me get the left/right margin tweak to work.

I'm jailbroken, have USB networking working, etc. I copied these directions exactly: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

But nothing changes, even when I switch the margin setting back and forth. It's not working on either mobi or azw2 files.

Any ideas? Did anyone figure this out?
aizykr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #1837
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aizykr8 View Post
I have a Kindle Paperwhite 3 on firmware 5.8.9.2 and can't for the life of me get the left/right margin tweak to work.

I'm jailbroken, have USB networking working, etc. I copied these directions exactly: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

But nothing changes, even when I switch the margin setting back and forth. It's not working on either mobi or azw2 files.

Any ideas? Did anyone figure this out?
Yes.
Search the post, from most recent post backwards, find if your firmware version is described by any of the most recent work.

(It probably is not, 5.8.9.2 is fairly new.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:50 PM   #1838
aizykr8

Seems as though @Elendiar has figured it out on the same device/firmware, not sure what I might be doing wrong here, but it doesn't work at all.
Old 07-09-2017, 03:55 PM   #1839
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Seems as though @Elendiar has figured it out on the same device/firmware, not sure what I might be doing wrong here, but it doesn't work at all.
Then follow his directions.
And if that does not work for you, be ready to post what you did and the result of each.

We can not see over your shoulder nor channel into your mind, so: "not sure what I might be doing wrong" does not give us anything to go on.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #1840
aizykr8

I did exactly the steps in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

Elendiar said he got it to work on the same device/firmware but didn't say how he did it.

It seems as though editing values in /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar does absolutely nothing on my end. I tried even setting the margins all to "0" such as:

Code:
aastore
dup
iconst_3
newarray int
iconst_1
dup
pop2
dup
iconst_0
ldc_w 0
invokestatic com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/resources/ReaderResources_en_GB/pixVal(F)I
iastore
dup
iconst_1
dup_x2
ldc_w 0
invokestatic com/amazon/ebook/booklet/reader/resources/ReaderResources_en_GB/pixVal(F)I
iastore
dup
iconst_2
ldc_w 0
Just to see if the editing was doing anything, and it didn't.

And yes, I made sure to add the file back to the .jar and then replace it on the Kindle, then rebooted, then switched the margins in the options menu.
Old 07-13-2017, 02:44 AM   #1841
Elendiar
Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Elendiar solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
I did exactly the steps in this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795

Elendiar said he got it to work on the same device/firmware but didn't say how he did it.
I did everything as directed in manual.
Some note, in text are same values, i "ctrl+f" twice and change their too (idk, maybe its too much).

You can use this fix (script for KUAL) fields.zip from 4pda.ru, based on my changes, just automated with backup function (obiously you can replace ur own *.jar file and use for convenient replacement).

Last edited by Elendiar; 07-13-2017 at 03:26 AM.
Elendiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #1842
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:

Your kindle is set to use English great Britain right?

Also make sure you are modifying the section that corresponds to the DPI of your device.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #1843
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I know this thread is quite old, but has anyone succeeded in getting reduced margins working on 5.9.x on KOA2? I followed the steps outlined here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=1795, but I'm not having any luck. My results are similar to aizykr8; values changed successfully, steps followed to restart and change margins, but no change to the display.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #1844
thoreau
Enthusiast
thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.thoreau solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KOA
I can confirm that changing margins works on 5.9.x on KOA2. The hangup for me was repacking the jar on a Mac. I could not find a utility where you could browse and change the contents of a jar in place like on windows.

My solution: If you have Java installed, then on the command line (terminal) you can run the following to update the contents of a .jar:

Code:
jar uf <.jarfile> <path to updated .class file>
Documentation: https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutor...ar/update.html

Glad to be done banging my head against a wall trying to figure out what wasn't working. Hope this helps someone else.
thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:38 AM   #1845
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I confirm working margins methods as described by stripe7.
KPW3, 5.9.7, English US.
I modified though not ReaderSDK-impl-en_GB.jar, but just ReaderSDK-impl.jar (which is default for English US).
I put 16.98, 11.32 and 7.55 for three types of margins.
7.55 for top/bottom/progressbar stuff.

One thing I don't understand with MOBI font sizes.
In Mobi-drawing.jar there are 8 font sizes listed, but the reader has a choice of 14. Plus it seems like the font size around 29 is the maximum 14th one, not 8th.
Font size 29 in MOBI is about the same size (visually) as the 14th one in KF8.
Spoiler:

Default FONT_RAMP values for KF8: 6.96 7.92 8.4 9.36 10.56 11.52 12.48 13.92 15.36 17.04 19.20 22.08 25.2 29.28

Default values for MOBI: 7.13 ; 7.81 ; 8.49 ; 9.17 ; 10.53 ; 12.56 ; 16.98 ; 29.2

Where are other 6 sizes?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2018_12_23T05_23_54-0500.png
Views:	233
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	168581  

Last edited by mergen3107; 12-23-2018 at 05:42 AM.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks