Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #31
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Wow, ixtab, that looks promising!
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #32
ab5tract
ab5tract began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5)
!!!

Really cannot wait for this. Thank you ixtab for working on this despite your own lack of deep interest in changing the fonts!
ab5tract is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #33
victor_2203
Connoisseur
victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.victor_2203 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wowwwww!!! It's incredible!! Will it be possible to translate/localize the menu to other languages?
victor_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #34
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor_2203 View Post
Wowwwww!!! It's incredible!! Will it be possible to translate/localize the menu to other languages?
Yes, of course, this will allow for localization of the UI whereever it is sensible.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #35
jzee
jzee began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Registered on mobileread just to say here, a really great THANKS for this! I'm have no idea how to hack but i know it takes time! Really appreciate this man!
jzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #36
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Experimental version

So...

I'm attaching an experimental version of the application here. Note that it must be manually installed (no installer) by following the steps in the HOWTO.txt.

As said, this is experimental and still contains a few glitches. For example, the UI is not always completely in sync with the current state (especially if you modify it; you'll see what I mean when you use it), but all actual functionality should be working. Most changes require a framework restart anyway, so this is not a terribly big issue IMO.

Interestingly enough, I also found that some fonts simply turn up "blank" at some font sizes; I don't know what causes this.

Other than that, please report back about any observations, bug reports, or general feedback.

Update: attachment removed. Please use v1.0 a few posts down.

Last edited by ixtab; 03-01-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:52 AM   #37
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'd love to test this, but it is way over my head. I don't even see a /var/local/java/keystore/ or a /opt/amazon/ebook/lib/, so I assume this all has to be done through some java/linux magic.
Ixtab, I appreciate your efforts and I hope others can be helpful, but for now I remain on the sidelines.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #38
wuschel83
wuschel83 began at the beginning.

Thumbs up

I have try it and it works very fine on my Kindle Touch 3G. I have copy the files by terminal and installed some other fonts too. Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
So...

I'm attaching an experimental version of the application here. Note that it must be manually installed (no installer) by following the steps in the HOWTO.txt.

As said, this is experimental and still contains a few glitches. For example, the UI is not always completely in sync with the current state (especially if you modify it; you'll see what I mean when you use it), but all actual functionality should be working. Most changes require a framework restart anyway, so this is not a terribly big issue IMO.

Interestingly enough, I also found that some fonts simply turn up "blank" at some font sizes; I don't know what causes this.

Other than that, please report back about any observations, bug reports, or general feedback.
wuschel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #39
wuschel83
wuschel83 began at the beginning.

I have more fonts for Kindle touch. This fonts work fine for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fonts.zip (1.75 MB, 1059 views)
wuschel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
bartveld
Evangelist

Geez, am I the only one not able to hack my fonts? Can someone please point me in the right direction so I can do what you guys do? I don't expect a tutorial, but if there is some documentation for a person with a PC running Windows 7 on how to access his Touch on some basic "behind the scenes"-level, as you people seem to do, I would very much appreciate it.

Or maybe I should just wait for one of those wonderful bin-files which only require you to press "Update now"...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #41
ixtab
(offline)

@bartveld: give me a few more hours. I'm building version 1.0 right now, including installers and newbie-friendly instructions...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #42
ixtab
(offline)

For the behind-the-scenes level, it's really easy if you have a little bit of knowledge of how to use a Linux command line.

The kindle is nothing but a linux system, which can be easily accessed via SSH. All you need to do is install the usbnetwork package, configure the USB network and connect to it using ssh (For Windows users, that would probably be putty).

More information can be found here.

Still, you should realize that this is the "Kindle Developer's Corner", so while you're of course not expected to know everything, you should at least be willing to do some research and learn how to use the "tools of the trade" (e.g., Linux command-line usage).

Don't worry: it's not rocket science. Every single person here has at some point started to learn it from the ground up, without initially having a clue about it. There are a lot of excellent tutorials around.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
bartveld
Evangelist

Thanks, ixtab. I'm very willing to do research, it's just that I needed the pointer where to look.
All the same, I'll wait for 1.0. My research will probably take more time than your new version.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:15 PM   #44
ixtab
(offline)

Version 1.0

So, here it is.

It seems like my favorite file hoster (ge.tt) is currently struggling with some hickups, so I'm attaching everything here.

There are 3 attachments:
- fonthack-1.0.zip : contains the actual application (including other required installers). If you install this correctly, the application should work. However, it does NOT include any fonts.
- Averia.zip : a font which is freely distributable, and which you can use on your Kindle without worrying about legal implications.
- translation-de_DE.zip: a localization example. See fonthack/README.txt for further information.

Update: files removed. Use the newest version from the first post of this thread instead.

Last edited by ixtab; 03-03-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
bartveld
Evangelist

ixtab, I did this:
installed dev-certs
installed kindlet-jailbreak (I already had the ordinary jailbreak)
installed update_fonthack

Then I took a font (Times Roman) which I use on the K3 and changed the names to the required convention, put them in a directory called Times Roman and put the dir in the fonthack directory on the Kindle. Then I restarted.
According to your readme I should see 00-Times Roman.conf and possibly 99-serif.conf. They're not there. All I have in the fonthack dir is de dir I put in (Times Roman) and the readme.
And I still have the regular Kindle font and can't think of a way to change it. What am I doing wrong?

Tags
kindle touch hacks