Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 04:25 AM   #196
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
The 32GB one is on the Kobo site now. I'm seriously tempted but I'm really worried about the quality control and the possible hassle of trying to return it (I'm in the US) if there are problems; it's not showing on the Walmart or Chapters/Indigo sites.

I've ordered direct from Kobo before but the prices on the previous models I bought were quite a bit lower so I didn't worry as much and as it turned out I didn't have to return any of them anyway.

I had the 8GB Forma briefly and it was seriously flawed so I was happy that I'd ordered it from Walmart and could return it locally for immediate credit.

I'd been afraid of the large size (I found the Oasis 2 way too heavy, awkward, slippery, and sharp-edged) but the Forma was amazingly comfortable to hold. The stripe on the wedge-side was very visible but I like large margins so the stripe didn't bother me. The light gradient across the screen was more bothersome but I thought I could live with it. The power button was sluggish but I was willing to live with that too.

I left wifi turned on after I registered the Forma and it downloaded and installed the latest firmware. There were two really major problems. One was that it kept freezing up, requiring a soft reset to unfreeze it. It would happen almost every time I switched hands (whether I had it set to auto or portrait only) and quite frequently even if I held it quite still in one hand. The other problem was that it often became confused about recognizing where the screen was being tapped. A tap to turn the page might do nothing or it might turn the page in the wrong direction or bring up the settings screen; a tap to bring up the settings screen might turn the page instead. It was totally random and after a few misreads it would just freeze. I did dozens of soft resets and a couple of factory resets but nothing helped.

I haven't read of anyone else having the same problems as I had but I think I'll try to hold off for a while and see what other people have to say about the 32GB version.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #197
m_j
m_j began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by disconnected View Post
The 32GB one is on the Kobo site now. I'm seriously tempted but I'm really worried about the quality control and the possible hassle of trying to return it (I'm in the US) if there are problems; it's not showing on the Walmart or Chapters/Indigo sites.

I've ordered direct from Kobo before but the prices on the previous models I bought were quite a bit lower so I didn't worry as much and as it turned out I didn't have to return any of them anyway.

I had the 8GB Forma briefly and it was seriously flawed so I was happy that I'd ordered it from Walmart and could return it locally for immediate credit.

I'd been afraid of the large size (I found the Oasis 2 way too heavy, awkward, slippery, and sharp-edged) but the Forma was amazingly comfortable to hold. The stripe on the wedge-side was very visible but I like large margins so the stripe didn't bother me. The light gradient across the screen was more bothersome but I thought I could live with it. The power button was sluggish but I was willing to live with that too.

I left wifi turned on after I registered the Forma and it downloaded and installed the latest firmware. There were two really major problems. One was that it kept freezing up, requiring a soft reset to unfreeze it. It would happen almost every time I switched hands (whether I had it set to auto or portrait only) and quite frequently even if I held it quite still in one hand. The other problem was that it often became confused about recognizing where the screen was being tapped. A tap to turn the page might do nothing or it might turn the page in the wrong direction or bring up the settings screen; a tap to bring up the settings screen might turn the page instead. It was totally random and after a few misreads it would just freeze. I did dozens of soft resets and a couple of factory resets but nothing helped.

I haven't read of anyone else having the same problems as I had but I think I'll try to hold off for a while and see what other people have to say about the 32GB version.
I have Forma 32G.
I encountered freezing multiple times. But I found out the reason was I used .mobi files directly without conversion. After I used Calibre to convert my files to .kepub format, I haven't had any freezing issue. By the way, I strongly recommend converting files to .kepub before putting into Kobo. I got some sluggish annotation and control issues with other formats. I think .kepub has the best compatibility with Kobo machines.

About the inaccuracy of touching, I don't have that issue at all. The control is quite accurate in my opinion. Maybe you can try manual factory reset in the official link. Hope it can solve the issue.
m_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #198
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
No freezing here, but I don't think I've tried any sideloaded books yet.

I've been pleased with the touch accuracy. The Aura One was always slightly off -- not a problem with Forma.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:34 PM   #199
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_j View Post
I have Forma 32G.
I encountered freezing multiple times. But I found out the reason was I used .mobi files directly without conversion. After I used Calibre to convert my files to .kepub format, I haven't had any freezing issue. By the way, I strongly recommend converting files to .kepub before putting into Kobo. I got some sluggish annotation and control issues with other formats. I think .kepub has the best compatibility with Kobo machines.
I have only side-loaded kepubs (apart from a few PDFs), and I've had to do soft resets fairly frequently up to my present F/w (11980). Sometimes it's been hard to soft reset. I do hope that some F/w will solve that.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #200
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Nook, oh boy. Since they released Nook ST w/Glowlight, I think their hardware is the best. But their software... it was never the best. But the most recent software (the software currently powering the Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3) is buggy and sluggish. Reading a book is fine. Anything else? Forget it.

You don't know how badly I wish I could slap Kobo's software on one of my Nooks. The best of both worlds! (Or you could put Nook's software on a Clara, Forma or Aura one. For the true masochist!)
Personally, I find the Clara HD hardware every bit as good as NOOK's Glowlight 3. YMMV.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 PM   #201
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
I have Forma 32G.

About the inaccuracy of touching, I don't have that issue at all. The control is quite accurate in my opinion. Maybe you can try manual factory reset in the official link. Hope it can solve the issue.
All my books were epubs from Calibre using the Kobo Touch Extended plugin. They all work fine on my other Kobos -- H2O2 and Clara.

The touch screen problem was just really weird. It wasn't the usual kind of thing where it's just a bit off. When it was off it was really off but in a very precise way, so that touching the far left side of the screen half way up might bring up settings instead of paging back.

I still want to order the 32GB one but I'm trying to hold off for a while.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:10 AM   #202
m_j
m_j began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
I have only side-loaded kepubs (apart from a few PDFs), and I've had to do soft resets fairly frequently up to my present F/w (11980). Sometimes it's been hard to soft reset. I do hope that some F/w will solve that.
My Forma's firmware version is 11982.
I haven't encounter any major software issue so far.
The latest firmware may have solved stability issues.
m_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 04:56 AM   #203
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
My Forma's firmware version is 11982.
I haven't encounter any major software issue so far.
The latest firmware may have solved stability issues.
The only difference between 4.11.11980 and 4.11.11982 is a fix for the PIN lock. 4.11.11980 did have some stability fixes. Kobo is working on others.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:13 AM   #204
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
So have read bits and pieces from all the forma threads and there seems to be a lot of complaints is anyone happy with their Kobo Forma?
I'm thinking of getting one as a Christmas gift but have yet to find one on display turned on so I can see the screen quality. I'm a little nervous about blind buying with what seems like a lot of negative reports around
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:47 AM   #205
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
So have read bits and pieces from all the forma threads and there seems to be a lot of complaints is anyone happy with their Kobo Forma?
I have two problems with my Forma.

Firstly, it does have the dark stripe on the button edge. It disappears when I am reading, but, I do know it's there are other times.

And secondly, my wife has it. And she won't be giving it back. That was sort of the plan. I'd get it and try it, and then she would while I took her Aura ONE. But, I wasn't really expect to like it as much as I did.
Quote:
I'm thinking of getting one as a Christmas gift but have yet to find one on display turned on so I can see the screen quality. I'm a little nervous about blind buying with what seems like a lot of negative reports around
Some JB HiFi have started stocking them. I don't know if they have them on display, but, their search shows three stores in Perth with them.

And I just noticed that for anyone who wants a Clara HD, JB HiFi has them at $149. That's $30 off.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #206
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have two problems with my Forma.

Firstly, it does have the dark stripe on the button edge. It disappears when I am reading, but, I do know it's there are other times.

And secondly, my wife has it. And she won't be giving it back. That was sort of the plan. I'd get it and try it, and then she would while I took her Aura ONE. But, I wasn't really expect to like it as much as I did.

Some JB HiFi have started stocking them. I don't know if they have them on display, but, their search shows three stores in Perth with them.

And I just noticed that for anyone who wants a Clara HD, JB HiFi has them at $149. That's $30 off.
If there's no stripe when reading then I would be happy. My mum has the Aura One and that is the other option however the forma felt so much nicer in hand than the aura. JB Osbourne Park had them out the back in a box so I could handle it but not turn on. I've tried three other stores who had none I think I'm going to give the city store a go. OT but how JB manage to sell any readers is beyond me their displays are always a total disgrace often no power no wifi covered in dust

Do you have the Kobo cover on yours?
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #207
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Someone just started another thread, and they said they were happy. I believe there were other posts of happy Forma owners.

So, yes, there are some people who are happy with their Formas.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #208
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
If there's no stripe when reading then I would be happy. My mum has the Aura One and that is the other option however the forma felt so much nicer in hand than the aura. JB Osbourne Park had them out the back in a box so I could handle it but not turn on. I've tried three other stores who had none I think I'm going to give the city store a go. OT but how JB manage to sell any readers is beyond me their displays are always a total disgrace often no power no wifi covered in dust

the stripe/band doesn't magically disappear when you are reading.

the point being made is that when you are so immersed in reading a book you forget that it is there but the stripe/band is still there.

you may find this helpful. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=312897

best wishes koboy
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #209
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can get to three of their stores easily. One tends to have the devices setup and working. One usually has on device on display but not setup. They had the Clara HD and I nearly did the setup myself but didn't want to hang around as the firmware downloaded. I did talk to someone about this and he said that a rep of some sort was supposed to visit and do the setup. The last store has only had covers on display for a while and even those disappeared recently.
Quote:
Yes and it works well. The only issue for me is that because I tended to hold the Forma in my left hand with the buttons on the left, it opens the wrong way compared to the other devices. That and I tend to play with the edge of the cover that is under my finger. As it is segments for the stand, I kept pushing that part down and putting my finger between it and the back of the cover. No real problem, just a bad habit of playing with edges and imperfections under my fingers. It was worse with the Glo as I could feel the edge of the external SD card and would keep ejecting it.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:21 PM   #210
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
I wrote a mini-review on Reddit about 5 days after I got it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/commen...ir_kobo_forma/

Still satisfied with mine. Still have same thoughts.

The biggest issue is still the "darker stripe" of light down the side. I'm not too sure if it's a defect across all Formas, or just the people complaining about it are the ones taking pictures. Kobo is aware of the issue, and are/were offering replacements.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-25-2018 at 06:24 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote