Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 05:10 AM   #1
mesblau
mesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (7gen)
Post Serial port in Kindle PaperWhite 3

Hello my fellow kids,

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I bought last year, with firmware 5.9.7 and a serial number G090 G1XX XXXX XXXX that according to your wiki is the Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 7gen, WiFi Edition also called PW3 [1]

These forums are very messy, but they contain very valuable information ... According to what I have read, in the version I am in, you can not jailbreak by Software, so the other option that I have found is to use a serial port , the problem is that, before opening my Kindle, I would like to know if my model has the option of a serial port and if it is the same installation that is discussed here [2] and here [3], I have thought of buying the "USB TTL Serial Cable 1.8V" model TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE, ¿it would work with my model?

regards.

[1] - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
[2] - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...90&postcount=1
[3] - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

Last edited by mesblau; 11-17-2018 at 05:12 AM. Reason: more specific with the model of my kindle
mesblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 05:35 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
USB to Serial cables are for PCs, Mac, Linux etc, anything with a host port (or a USB2Go) that already has serial over USB driver software. So some do work for some versions of Android phone/tablet (but not all adaptors nor all Android versions nor all Android gadgets).
Some Kindles have internal pads or connections for TTL serial (The DXG seems to have two!), often labelled on the PCB. I never heard of a USB serial adaptor working on a Kindle eInk eReader (needs driver and host mode), more likely NDIS over USB or Serial over USB would be supported as that works even with a "dumb" client only USB port.
as that doesn't even need host mode, only
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
mesblau
mesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enoughmesblau will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
USB to Serial cables are for PCs, Mac, Linux etc, anything with a host port (or a USB2Go) that already has serial over USB driver software. So some do work for some versions of Android phone/tablet (but not all adaptors nor all Android versions nor all Android gadgets).
Some Kindles have internal pads or connections for TTL serial (The DXG seems to have two!), often labelled on the PCB. I never heard of a USB serial adaptor working on a Kindle eInk eReader (needs driver and host mode), more likely NDIS over USB or Serial over USB would be supported as that works even with a "dumb" client only USB port.
as that doesn't even need host mode, only
Ok, But the TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE is the same USB TTL from [2], What I want to know is if my exact model has the pins to connect as explained in that article called "Kindle Voyage 5.6.2.1 Serial Jailbreak Step-by-Step", because in that article it is explained on a different model to mine, on a different firmware version (this last I do not think it matters)...

Old 11-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesblau View Post
Hello my fellow kids,

I have a Kindle Paperwhite that I bought last year, with firmware 5.9.7 and a serial number G090 G1XX XXXX XXXX that according to your wiki is the Kindle PaperWhite 3 (2015) 7gen, WiFi Edition also called PW3 [1]

These forums are very messy, but they contain very valuable information ... According to what I have read, in the version I am in, you can not jailbreak by Software, so the other option that I have found is to use a serial port , the problem is that, before opening my Kindle, I would like to know if my model has the option of a serial port and if it is the same installation that is discussed here [2] and here [3], I have thought of buying the "USB TTL Serial Cable 1.8V" model TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE, ¿it would work with my model?

regards.

[1] - https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
[3] - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
Quote:
Ok, But the TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE is the same USB TTL from [2], What I want to know is if my exact model has the pins to connect as explained in that article called "Kindle Voyage 5.6.2.1 Serial Jailbreak Step-by-Step", because in that article it is explained on a different model to mine, on a different firmware version (this last I do not think it matters)...

The answer to all of your questions is: YES.

Your [3] is the best for a new user.

The Firmware version(s) mentioned and Hardware model(s) mentioned are only references to what was used during the development of the directions, they are not limitations.
All devices (except the 2 Oasis models) since (and including) the K4 use the same process, with the same serial port pin-out, with changes to filenames only - with a possible exception of the filesystem layout of the PW4. So don't try to brick your new PW4 just yet.

In [2] you will find links to electrical connection methods other than using "hot solder". If not experienced with that skill, check out the contents of those links.

Last edited by knc1; 11-17-2018 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Typo'd reference
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 06:42 AM   #5
mesblau

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The answer to all of your questions is: YES.

Your [3] is the best for a new user.

The Firmware version(s) mentioned and Hardware model(s) mentioned are only references to what was used during the development of the directions, they are not limitations.
All devices (except the 2 Oasis models) since (and including) the K4 use the same process, with the same serial port pin-out, with changes to filenames only - with a possible exception of the filesystem layout of the PW4. So don't try to brick your new PW4 just yet.

In [2] you will find links to electrical connection methods other than using "hot solder". If not experienced with that skill, check out the contents of those links.
Does that mean that I can also apply the jailbreak that was installed in step 24 of [2]?

I had thought only to make the connection by serial and install SSH to make it more comfortable so:

1- I need to do the jailbreak?
2- What advantages does it add? what cool things jailbreak add?
3- Do I need the jailbreak to install SSH?
4- If I have access by SSH, and update the Kindle firmware, do I still have access by SSH?
5- I have soldering experience, but I prefer not to weld anything to my Kindle, I had thought to do it like here [4], no problem no?

Thanks!

[4] - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...06&postcount=1
Old 11-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
1 - For everyone's sake, yes.
2 - Not trying to reinvent the wheel on your own. And making it easier for us to actually give you directions to follow, knowing that stuff will behave as expected later on.
3 - In short, yes. See. 1 & 2. Don't try to reinvent the wheel.
4 - In main, no, but you can reinstall it, in diags (if diags there is (OK on the PW3), and rp/crp was installed), yes.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-18-2018 at 01:36 PM. Reason: no is yes!
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:49 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

5) Yes, that is one of the more popular, temporary, connection methods.
(Just don't use conductive foam - someone did and it took us forever to figure out what had gone wrong. )
Old 11-18-2018, 09:37 PM   #8
Pocketrussion
Pocketrussion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Cheaper and maybe easier way in this post
Pocketrussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
mesblau

I have already installed the serial cable, and the only thing that has come out is what you see in the attached image, I have tried again, and nothing comes out

What have I done wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	serial_error.png
Views:	806
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	167869  
Old 11-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

That is called: "line noise".
Poor ground connection(s).
Old 11-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #11
mesblau

Quote:
That is called: "line noise".
Poor ground connection(s).
  • I have connected the ground to another point, and I have restarted, and I have a prompt to start session (in which I tried to root:fionaXXX and it has not worked), the weird thing is that I did not have to put bootm 0xE41000 or anything, because the only thing that has come out has been the option to start a session, Now what's wrong?

EDIT: I have reassembled everything, through a breadboard, and now if I have seen the U-Boot log, but in half it has been put back with strange words, which is the best place to make land? (for now I have it on a screw)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	loginprompt.png
Views:	336
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	167871  

Last edited by mesblau; 11-21-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I have connected the ground to another point, and I have restarted, and I have a prompt to start session (in which I tried to root:fionaXXX and it has not worked), the weird thing is that I did not have to put bootm 0xE41000 or anything, because the only thing that has come out has been the option to start a session, Now what's wrong?
Failure to follow directions.

That root password is only for the "Diags" system.
The "Main" system has root login disabled.

If you do not use "bootm 0xE41000" the system will boot to the "Main" system rather than the "Diags" system

The password you have is for the "Diags" system there is no password for the "Main" system, which is what you chose to run by skipping the bootm ... part of the directions.

All of this is fully described in the use of the serial port thread, try reading it and even better yet, follow it.
Old 11-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #13
mesblau

Quote:

If you do not use "bootm 0xE41000" the system will boot to the "Main" system rather than the "Diags" system

The password you have is for the "Diags" system there is no password for the "Main" system, which is what you chose to run by skipping the bootm ... part of the directions.

All of this is fully described in the use of the serial port thread, try reading it and even better yet, follow it.
I already know that root is disabled in the normal boot, and that it only starts session in diagnostic mode, but I was trying, because nothing had come out, only the prompt to start session...

I have reassembled everything, through a breadboard, and now if I have seen the U-Boot log, but in half it has been put back with strange words, which is the best place to connect the ground? (for now I have it on a screw)

EDIT 1> solved no longer gives me problems with the ground

Last edited by mesblau; 11-21-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
mesblau

When it reaches the step of 'Hit any key to stop autoboot', I press many keys to stop it but it does not respond, I've tried it like 10 times... do you think the problem is in my TX connection?

EDIT> problem in TX connection, now is working.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hitkeys.png
Views:	413
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	167874  

Last edited by mesblau; 11-21-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
mesblau

Exclamation diag menu problem

Quote:

once the command
Code:
bootm 0xE41000
has been sent, opens a prompt that puts diag
Code:
diag>
reading the documentation of u-boot I saw that to print the help was done with '?', the problem is that it does not look at all like the menu that appears in the tutorials, once in this menu , I do not know how to continue, help!!!

EDIT> Now It's working like this (EXIT LOGIN in diag>):

Code:
diag> EXIT LOGIN
[2018-11-21 19:48:34
get_input_from_stdin Received [EXIT LOGIN]
diag>EXIT LOGIN: RESULT <PASS>
[2018-11-21 19:48:35
sock_close Sock close
Waiting to stop
[2018-11-21 19:48:39
Closing /dev/input/event0
Closing /dev/input/event1
Closing server_socket
Stopped
[2018-11-21 19:48:40
Exit to login prompt: 1
/etc/init.d/rcS: line 121: boot_milestone: not found
starting pid 1213, tty '': '/bin/sh /etc/getty-diags'
[2018-11-21 19:48:41

Welcome to Kindle!
login: root
Password:  #password generated from S/N
#################################################
#  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  *  N O T I C E  # 
#################################################
Rootfs is mounted read-only. Invoke mntroot rw to
switch back to a writable rootfs.
[root@[192_168_15_244] root]#
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diagstrangemenu.png
Views:	340
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	167876  

Last edited by mesblau; 11-21-2018 at 01:54 PM.

Tags
help please, jailbreak, pw3, serial port