Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #241
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Indeed it is, as are Kim and the Just So stories, and your comment has reminded me I need them all on my new Kobo, in English I did laugh when I first started learning Hindi years ago and realised that the names of the characters are simply the Hindi/Urdu words for the animal in question - VERY inventive on his part
Let me give my version of Kim at MobileRead a small plug. It's free, and (if I say so myself) well-formatted and with minimal typos. And some illustrations by Kipling's father.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:48 AM   #242
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Let me give my version of Kim at MobileRead a small plug. It's free, and (if I say so myself) well-formatted and with minimal typos. And some illustrations by Kipling's father.
Bahut bahut shukriya!
Old 10-12-2018, 12:24 PM   #243
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Indeed it is, as are Kim and the Just So stories, and your comment has reminded me I need them all on my new Kobo, in English I did laugh when I first started learning Hindi years ago and realised that the names of the characters are simply the Hindi/Urdu words for the animal in question - VERY inventive on his part
Pretty easy when there are only one of each animal in the stories.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:37 PM   #244
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
Pretty easy when there are only one of each animal in the stories.
Except the bandar log (itself a hindustani phrase) of course.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:55 AM   #245
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, my pace is way, way down with the new job. And worse, I'm forgetting to record them regularly. This is not good!

OTOH, I'm still on pace to read 135 books, which isn't bad. Just down a fair bit. And my average price per book bought is good this year, $1.89. But the HUGE problem is that I've bought twice as many books as I've actually read. This must stop.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:14 PM   #246
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Since I won't finish any more books before the end of the month, I thought I would report on goals.
Goal 100 books - at 93, so should easily finish this one before end of year.
Goal 15 magazines - 3, so really lagging on this one. The current year of Asimov's is a double issue, but that's no excuse.
Complete all purchased 2011 & earlier - read 23 out of 44. Good dent, but not even quite halfway.
Purchases under $300 - huge fail. However, have severely cut down this month.

Well, I will just continue to manage these goals.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #247
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Goals:

Total Books: 50 (stretch goal of 100) | Total Pages: 25,000 | TBR Reduction: 25 (stretch goal of 50)
Read at least 51% non-American authors | Read more female/gender-fluid authors than male | Read at least 52 short stories | Read at least 10 of the New Leaf Book Club selections | Complete a re-read of the Pevear and Volokhonsky translation of War and Peace

Aggregate Totals (Updated through October):
  • 105 books - 205% of my goal (100% of stretch goal) - GOAL MET
  • 57 short stories - 109% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 31,873 pages - 103% of my goal - GOAL MET
  • 52% female/nonbinary authors / 48% male authors - on target
  • 52% US authors (up from 47%) / 48% non-US authors (down from 52%) - off target - Still working on it!
  • 293 of 365 chapters of War and Peace complete - off target - but I plan to make up lost ground over Thanksgiving.
  • TBR Reduction: Reduced by 48 - 192% of my goal (96% of stretch goal) - on target
  • New Leaf Book Club selections - 9 for 10 - on target

Man, new jobs are brutal. In my old job, I still had a good bit of audiobook time during the day. But I'm in court so much now that its a no go.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:42 AM   #248
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
September: 12 books read, but 26 bought. The Rebus novels were too good to miss.

At least I am enjoying my reading!
October: 11 books read, but 17 bought. Better than September, but not good enough!
Old 11-08-2018, 10:14 AM   #249
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I've been reading 1st books in a series for my fantasy challenge. It's been a great was to find new authors in a genre I don't normally read, the down side is I keep wanting to read some of the second books and the rest of the series too. So far I have been resisting, but it's not easy. A good problem to have.

This month I've started Silent Hall book 1, ( Godserfs Series ) by NS Dolkart. I'm really enjoying this book as well ! I'll be tempted to read the 2nd book before January, good thing I have only one more month to go for this challenge.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:40 PM   #250
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I'm getting an amazing number of books read this month due to my knee injury. 13 books already and still have 5 days left! Not even any abandoned books! Even (finally) listened to Pandora's Star (800+ pages). Yay!

As to purchases, some were on wish list, some unexpected finds. Talked myself out of half of them.

Yes, knee is better, but I'm still using a walker when away from home.

Last edited by Tarana; 11-26-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 01:59 PM   #251
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Healing takes time, and the older we get the more time it takes, much to our consternation.

At least you are taking advantage of that time and getting some good reading in!

I'm at 102 read this year, and will likely knock out two more this month, but then I would have to read two score plus six to hit my goal by the end of December. I won't say it's not possible, but it does seem highly unlikely.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #252
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read 56 books so far and my reading challenge was to read 52. So a little ahead this year. Next year I will have to record the numbers in front of each book read. I find myself losing count and needing to start all over again.
Old 12-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #253
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
October: 11 books read, but 17 bought. Better than September, but not good enough!
November: 10 books read and 15 bought. I suppose that's one better than October.

I've just discarded another 28 freebies, bringing the total discarded for the year to 50.

That means my TBR is just 2 up on the start of the year!

A bit of a cheat, but it doesn't mean my TBR is of higher quality.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:57 PM   #254
Wearever
Wizard

I'll be reading Children of Blood and Bone , for my last fantasy 1st in series challenge. It looks different from anything else I've read so far. The reviews have also been good.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:15 AM   #255
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
That means my TBR is just 2 up on the start of the year!
My TBR pile is now one down on the start of the year!

Yes, OK, that may be because I've pruned my TBR of some freebies, but I'm still pleased!