Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
marrco
Enthusiast
marrco began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw4
PW3 updated to 5.9.4 - no issues

I just updated my jailbroken PW3 to 5.9.4 without any issue using https://s3.amazonaws.com/firmwaredow...hite_5.9.4.bin
previously running Firmware Version: Kindle 5.9.2.0.1 (3262860017)
now on Firmware Version: Kindle 5.9.4 (3278740046)

Then reinstalled my mrpackages (python, screen savers hack etc.) via
Code:
;log mrpi
using newest Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030 (nov, 27 2017 atm)

Screensavers in cover mode work fine, tested on a new book too.
marrco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
I would like to replicate your steps and see if that sorts things for me, so to be clear did you do it like this:
  1. download the 5.9.4 firmware from the URL above
  2. copy the firmware .bin file to the root of the PW3, eject your PW3, then update it using the Update Your Kindle menu entry in Settings on your PW3
  3. copy the relevant .bin files from the screensaver hack and Python zip files, which you obtained from the Tools Snapshot thread, into the \mrpackages folder on your PW3
  4. type ;log mrpi in the search bar of your Kindle's homescreen to install the hack & Python
  5. restart your PW3 and all good
Did you not need to reinstall mrpi as part of this? Or KUAL? Any other steps I missed or have got wrong? Sorry to go into such basic detail on this, I find it so confusing with all this excellent information but in so many different places, and have spent countless hours just trying to get these screensavers working after every OTA firmware update!
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:09 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Did you not need to reinstall mrpi as part of this? Or KUAL?

The general rule is:
If it is not broke, do not fix it.
If it is broke, re-install it, and always re-install using the most recent ("snapshot") build.
(those things get changed/rebuilt for a reason, and you probably just discovered at least one of those reasons)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:59 AM   #4
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Did you not need to reinstall mrpi as part of this? Or KUAL?

The general rule is:
If it is not broke, do not fix it.
If it is broke, re-install it, and always re-install using the most recent ("snapshot") build.
(those things get changed/rebuilt for a reason, and you probably just discovered at least one of those reasons)
Indeed. It was a very long week after starting a new job on Monday, so alas I was not operating at full capacity and installed the incorrect version of the hacks

Well I have now updated to 5.9.4 (3278740046) and installed Python and the screensavers hack via ;log mrpi, but I only see the "Screensavers hack successfully installed but not yet processed a cover" image rather than a book cover. Never mind, I shall keep fiddling at this end, ensuring I only install only the correct version of things
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
Indeed. It was a very long week after starting a new job on Monday, so alas I was not operating at full capacity and installed the incorrect version of the hacks

Well I have now updated to 5.9.4 (3278740046) and installed Python and the screensavers hack via ;log mrpi, but I only see the "Screensavers hack successfully installed but not yet processed a cover" image rather than a book cover. Never mind, I shall keep fiddling at this end, ensuring I only install only the correct version of things
You might need to use builds from either NiLuJe's snapshots or coplate's snapshots.

The Amazon firmware numbers no longer represent source code revision level(s). (they might as well avoid that, since they never got it right anyway)

The Amazon firmware numbers are now being used to represent the "feature set" provided by a firmware build.
The software's build and behavior can (and does) vary with the model it is intended for.

All we need now is a three dimensional spreadsheet to keep track of what works where (four dimensions if we want to include when).

= = = =

Call it: Job security
With the development staff that is familiar (only) with Amazon/Linux is faced with possibly losing their jobs when the devices are switched over to Google/Linux ...
It is only reasonable that they create as many reasons as possible that they need to be kept on the job.

If Bezos (with more money than common sense) had any good sense, he would fire the entire lot of them and turn over firmware development to ourselves.

Last edited by knc1; 02-11-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
lyleberman
lyleberman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post

I had the same problem after the 5.9.4 update with the screen saver hack.
Here's how I fixed it.
1) Uninstall the screen saver hack via mrpi.
2) Reinstall the screen saver and the python via mrpi.
3) Create a blank file called "cover" and drop it into extensions/linkss
4) Go into mrpi and restart the framework

HTH,
-Lyle
lyleberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleberman View Post
Here's how I fixed it.

HTH,
-Lyle
Duh...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jail Break
None of our add-ins are protected across updates, you must always re-install them.
Yeah, I know -
Where is the fun in just reading the directions?
Old 02-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #8
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleberman View Post
Here's how I fixed it.

HTH,
-Lyle
That is the way the instructions for nilujes screensaver hack tell you to do it too. 😁. Not really a problem since it is expected. You get that message when you first install the hack. After opening a book it will replace it with the cover if installed right.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=2286667

Last edited by Waitingforatrain; 02-21-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #9
root32
root32 began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
Dear Community,

i have a kt3 which has been jailbroken from version 5.8.10 to 5.8.0.
I was using this https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/5_x_Jailbreak guide.
Following the Guide i have jailbroken my kindle kt3, installed the mrpi and also the jailbreak survival code. After this i installed the extensions kual, usbnetwork, python, screensaver hack and the online screensaver. It was itended to be used as a weatherstation,

I could login with a password calculated from the device number.

Everything was working so far. During the last charging of the kindle it automaticly updated to 5.9.4 and the problems started.

I couldnt open kual anymore and it freezes on a white screen and i can only do a restart to come back to the main page of the kindle. Also the online screensaver doesnt work and i tried to login via ssh. But the passwords dont work anymore.

Regarding other threads here i uninstalled all packages with mrpi an installed them again. Nothing changed. Also i tried everything metioned here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291734. Including the nomax hotfix.

But still unable to run kual, or login as root or framework. The normal screensaver and ssh deamon working. But the cronjobs, online screensaver and kual are not working anymore.

I need your advice.

Thanks in advance.

Br Root32
root32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

This will fix KUAL (you must first install the booklet version, not the document version)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=294765
Old 02-22-2018, 03:14 PM   #11
root32
root32 began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
thank you! Kual is working again. Is there another source to get the root password from the device number? I used the site from sven, but none of this passwords are working. Do i maybe misread a "0" from a capital "o"? As in the fix you mentioned, i should be able to add lines to cronjob in a bash manner.
So i could create the output in a file and overwrite it with my values. Just spinning this around. But i would prefere a login as root. Do someone else had this issue?

Br, root32
root32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by root32 View Post
thank you! Kual is working again. Is there another source to get the root password from the device number? I used the site from sven, but none of this passwords are working. Do i maybe misread a "0" from a capital "o"? As in the fix you mentioned, i should be able to add lines to cronjob in a bash manner.
So i could create the output in a file and overwrite it with my values. Just spinning this around. But i would prefere a login as root. Do someone else had this issue?

Br, root32
Well, only after installing an Amazon update image, which includes a fresh copy of /etc/passwd file (you know, the one that used to have your changes in it).

1) Kindles are dual system boot devices, the 'main' system has not allowed root logins forever.
2) Those sites that get a password from the serial number are getting the password for the other (diags) system.
3) Use USBnetworking, without any changes to the options, login over USB cable.
telnet never requires a password.
4) Then setup public key authorization (per directions in the README file).
You don't need system access to do that, our build of dropbear (the default sshd server) does not look in the system files -
Follow the path from the highest visible level of USB storage /usbnet/etc/authorized_keys
Which probably does not exist - just rename your public key to 'authorized_keys' - which makes it the first entry.

See:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292382
Posts #1 and #2

Hint: We have a very tiny "staff" here to answer questions.
And for questions that the poster **could** have answered for their self, just by scrolling down a few lines in the index page ...
After the second such in one day from the same person, people here (including myself) start to change our helpful attitude.

Last edited by knc1; 02-22-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 AM   #13
bobcat4
bobcat4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
do you see any advantage of 5.9 compared to 5.8?
bobcat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #14
kalyy
Enthusiast
kalyy began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Hi!
I have a pw3 with fw 5.9.4, I want the jailbreak back but I don't remember what I have to do. 😅
Last time I came here for answers I read that someone had problems with their pw3 trying to get back the jailbreak, though I think they could fix it later on. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
kalyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:16 PM   #15
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Just try to install the hotfix.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pw3