Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #16
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
There are plenty of ways -- for instance, they can see if a given book on the Kindle has an ASIN, and if it does, if the book is identical to the book of the same ASIN on Amazon's own servers (hashing it and sending the hash uses almost no bandwidth so you'd never notice this check happening), and whether you are on record as having bought that book. For all we know they may be checking precisely this: but what they do not appear to be doing is treating users significantly differently based on whether they buy Kindle books from Amazon or not.
What difference does it make if you get your books from somewhere other than Amazon? Again...if Amazon really cared about that, they would shut down the ability to sideload, rather than make it easier. The vast majority of people buy all of most of their books from Amazon, even if they get a few from other places occasionally.

The number of people who get all their books from other places is so small that Amazon can afford to ignore them completely, in order to make a better experience for the rest of their customers.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:53 PM   #17
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
What difference does it make if you get your books from somewhere other than Amazon? Again...if Amazon really cared about that, they would shut down the ability to sideload, rather than make it easier. The vast majority of people buy all of most of their books from Amazon, even if they get a few from other places occasionally.

The number of people who get all their books from other places is so small that Amazon can afford to ignore them completely, in order to make a better experience for the rest of their customers.

Shari
I agree with you that Amazon probably doesn't care. It likely does collect at least some data on side-loaded books for its own use in monitoring how many Kindle users are buying elsewhere or, for that matter, obtaining pirate copies. This could be a valuable indicator for them. I suspect that percentage is pretty low currently. However, if they were to notice a sharp rise it could alert them to problems.

I suspect Amazon could detect at least some pirate copies. But I doubt they bother to try. There is no gain for them in reporting such copies to the authorities, particularly not when doing so would involve such huge and very public privacy issues. I suspect their main focus at this level would be more on Amazon v. non-Amazon purchases.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2018, 04:05 AM   #18
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
My Kindle is permanently in airplane mode since a few months back, and I sideload all books. Mostly because I like organizing my library on my computer, but also because when I have tried syncing to get my periodicals, some books have disappeared while syncing! These are sideloaded books, and it is always the same around 30books that disappear off my Kindle Oasis 2 when I test syncing. Very strange. Some are purchased from Amazon, some Gutenberg books and some bought in other formats and converted.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #19
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
So ... you're worried that the ebook police are gonna come knocking on your door? There are probably more important things to worry about.

If you're really concerned about Aunty Amazon's capabilities to spy on you, maybe Kobo is a better solution. Kobo, too, syncs your device but they're a lot more polite and less aggressive about it. It's a Canadian thing.
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote