Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-04-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
My 32GB Paperwhite ( manga model ) just came from !Woot.

I am going to be doing some research on it, to see what is different from the 4GB.

But I am probability not going to open the case up. If It is not capable of being jailbroken with our current methods, I am just going to leave it stock.

Anything you want me to look into when I get it open, post it here.

I will be updating with details in this top post.

Edit 1:
It is running version 5.8.7.0.1 ( 3115940037 )

I know that 5.7.4 has been known to brick these Manga Models, so I will be trying with the 5.8.9.0.1 that we have around, or trying to see if the refurbish process left the 5.8.7.0.1 on the system instead of removing it like they have been in production.

Out of the box, this version is not vulnerable to jailbreak ( 'installHTML' method).

I will attempt to 'upgrade' to the 'factory/initial' version after dinner.

Edit 2:

Installing the factory file we found for PW3 Manga model has worked as expected. I am jailbroken now.

this is supposed to be a "Special Offers" version, however I did the jailbreak before conencting to wifi, so special offers had not kicked in yet.

See knc1's post for more details if interested. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=291336

Next I will try to see if I can find the 'initial' version of 5.8.7.0.1 that was installed through sshing onto the device. the updates I have installed may have wiped it if it ever had been present.

Edit 3 here is some hardware info, I cant remember how to get more info, or wha tthe norm:

[root@kindle /proc]# cat cpuinfo
Processor : ARMv7 Processor rev 10 (v7l)
BogoMIPS : 790.16
Features : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant : 0x2
CPU part : 0xc09
CPU revision : 10

Hardware : Freescale i.MX 6SoloLite based Wario Board
Revision : 60000

Edit 4:
knc1's backup script here seems to have worked fine, so I shoudl have some time to investigate things.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=289690

Last edited by coplate; 03-04-2018 at 09:09 PM.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just want to congratulate you. I posted that it was available and hoped some of you folks who want a paperwhite with TONS of memory would be able to get one. Yay!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
So you got a Refribish PW from Japan.... I was tempted but since I Lost 2,000 of my e-books figured I really didn't need it at this time.

WHY did you post this under Kindle Developer's Corner ?

Last edited by Barbara1955; 03-04-2018 at 05:45 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
So you got a Refribish PW from Japan.... I was tempted but since I Lost 2,000 of my e-books figured I really didn't need it at this time.

WHY did you post this under Kindle Developer's Corner ?
Jailbraking is a 'development' thing isn't it? I'm so sorry you had such a big library loss. That was an ouch. I would only need such a large space if I wanted to include audiobooks. And yes, I've done that with my kindle keyboard. But some folks read manga and such.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:05 PM   #5
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Well the OP said IF it could not be Jail broke he was going to Leave it Stock.

Then OP said ...

So why not post this in the Normal Kindle Forum? I for 1 Don't Jail brake I betting LOTS of others Don't either. So asking questions here about it seems duh..
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
Which firmware version did it come with?
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Well the OP said IF it could not be Jail broke he was going to Leave it Stock.

Then OP said ...

So why not post this in the Normal Kindle Forum? I for 1 Don't Jail brake I betting LOTS of others Don't either. So asking questions here about it seems duh..
I'm defelinitely going to try to jailbreak it, that's why I posted here.

Left Stock, it is pretty much a normal paperwhite, just with more memory.

jailbroken though, there may be some interesting things developers want to know about, and this thread would be where I could post that stuff - slightly different processor, etc.

so what I meant by "open" was jailbroken, with a shell connection into the device, so I can run all the normal linux commands.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The 5.8.9.0.1 that we have "lying around" is from a 32Gbyte Kindle.
So if you can install it, is should work just fine (as in, support all that model's hardware).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #9
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The 5.8.9.0.1 that we have "lying around" is from a 32Gbyte Kindle.
So if you can install it, is should work just fine (as in, support all that model's hardware).
yes, this is what I had relied on. Amazon was selling these through their 'Woot!' site, as refurbished models.

As far as I know this is the first and only time amazon has sold the 32 GB Manga model in the US.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #10
Choque
Choque began at the beginning.

Device: PW3 - 32GB
I got my 32GB Paperwhite last week (a friend in Japan bought it and shipped it to me). Sadly I already updated the firmware to the 5.9.4 version.

I should be able to jailbreak it if I do a factory reset, right? If so, what file do I need/what do I need to do exactly. Simply follow the steps in the wiki or is there any difference for the 32GB version?

Sorry for the questions but I'd hate to brick my new kindle

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Choque; 03-05-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Choque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM   #11
coplate
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choque View Post
I got my 32GB Paperwhite last week (a friend in Japan bought it and shipped it to me). Sadly I already updated the firmware to the 5.9.4 version.

I should be able to jailbreak it if I do a factory reset, right? If so, what file do I need/what do I need to do exactly. Simply follow the steps in the wiki or is there any difference for the 32GB version?

Sorry for the questions but I'd hate to brick my new kindle

Gesendet von meinem A0001 mit Tapatalk
As far as we know, the only kindle with that method is the KT3 ( Basic kindle 8th generation )

So right now, the only known way to jailbreak yours is with the serial port.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
You could try to downgrade to update_pw3_factory_5.8.9.0.1.bin (use google to find it) if it's accepted it might work (please report back here if you try) but know that you might brick your device, and if you brick it your only way to unbrick it will be either to send it back to amazon or to use the serial port.

If you are feeling confident with the serial port, you could try the downgrade to 5.8.9.0.1, in case it works, before having to open it. At worse you'll have to open it, as you'd have done going the serial route from the beginning.

Good luck!

Last edited by datanoise; 03-05-2018 at 03:02 PM.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Choque

@knc1 are you still sending out PMs with the link to the 5.8.9.0.1 file? If so, I'd like it please (questions answered below)

I guess I'll get everything ready for the serial port route and order the TTL-232RG-VREG1V8-WE cable just in case.

Is this a new device, never connected to the Internet?
New, but has been connected to the internet
Is it a "refurbished" device?
No
Is this the firmware it arrived with or has it been updated to this version?
Sadly I haven't checked the firmware it arrived with. Now it's updated to 5.9.4
Is it registered?
Yes
Does it have ads (Special Offers)?
No
Does it have a pass-code protection or parental controls enabled?
No
What country was it sold in?
Japan
What country was it delivered to?
Japan
Was the seller an on-line Amazon site or was it a third-party seller?
Amazon

Last edited by Choque; 03-05-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You do not need it to jail break a device over the serial port.
And if does not work on 5.9.4 anyway.

We have a very complete set of serial port directions, just follow them.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
Choque

Yea I know about the serial port route. I just figured I could give the other way a try as @datanoise suggested since I'm preparing for the serial port way either way.

Though if you say that there's no need/it won't work anyway, then there's probably nothing to try

Tags
32gb, manga, pw3