Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2018, 06:33 PM   #1
glasnost
Connoisseur
glasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW3, Kobo Aura H2O
flash jailbroken system over new PW3?

I have a jailbroken PW3
I am getting a new PW3 for a friend, I would like to give it in a jailbroken state

Would it be possible to flash - either by kindletool or dd, the jailbroken system (and boot and initramfs?) partitions and end up with a new jailbroken kindle? Via USB and not serial, as I don't want to crack the case.

I don't have the device on me, so I'm relying on the userstore info from knc1's wonderful research https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ght=filesystem and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262234

If this is a viable strategy - where does lab126 store the s/n and other uniquely identifying information - I won't want to overwrite this, or will need to back it up and then rewrite it after the main flash.

I have searched the forums and haven't seen someone cover this, and alas, everyone was away from irc when I check in the channel. If my query duplicates something written here or on the wiki, please direct me to it, as my googlefu has failed!

Thanks!
glasnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Only the OTA handler included with the Amazon system can access the full file system of an un-jailbroken Kindle.
Using the OTA handler is only possible if you can sign the image file using Amazon's private key.
If you ever get past that 'speed bump' in the plan, let us know because if you can get it to accept a several hundred megabyte file, you can get it to accept our several hundred byte jail break file.

Note: There are two (2) OTA handlers, we only install our public key in the one which can not replace the system image.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
glasnost
Connoisseur
glasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitglasnost with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW3, Kobo Aura H2O
Okay, thanks for clarifying. dd is not an option. :-(

Alas, I suspect your note re handlers may be an obfuscated hint, but it's beyond me to interpret.

Last edited by glasnost; 02-27-2018 at 04:17 PM.
glasnost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
datanoise
Groupie
datanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshesdatanoise can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: SuperNote A5X
There should be a way we don't have access to...

There are many bricked kindles going back to amazon, they probably have an automated or semi-automated process to test those and reinstall a fresh system on the ones that have no hardware problem, without having to open them.
datanoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #5
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by datanoise View Post
There should be a way we don't have access to...

There are many bricked kindles going back to amazon, they probably have an automated or semi-automated process to test those and reinstall a fresh system on the ones that have no hardware problem, without having to open them.
I agree. If you can figure out how to do that, everyone here will sing your praises for years.

so far nobody has figured it out.
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flash, jailbreak, pw3